Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a small business out of smoking meats on holidays/weekends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a small business out of smoking meats on holidays/weekends

Any of y'all ever try this? I'm trying to figure out numbers and pricing. I have more than a few people interested but I'm lost on profit margin. What will people pay within reason of course.

I don't do this as a business, but have a few degrees that tell me I should know something about it What type of business are you looking at? Food truck, bulk smoked meats, catering etc.

Comment

Do it for love, not money... As long as you break even, have fun, and get better at barbecue I'd call it win win.

Comment

That's right Pit Boss... I have my neighbors, friends and family always wanting me to smoked something for them and always trying to pay me. I just charge them for the cost of the meat but I don't turn down tips either...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
          That's right Pit Boss... I have my neighbors, friends and family always wanting me to smoked something for them and always trying to pay me. I just charge them for the cost of the meat but I don't turn down tips either...LOL
          You're a good man DWC. Making friends and doing what you love. That's what it's all about.

Comment

That's the life!

Comment

I agree! There is not a better day than people gorging themselves at your picnic table! Keep life simple, enjoy the little things...

Comment

My wife has a family tradition at Christmas of sauerkraut, fresh polish sausage, and the best baseball sized bread dumplings you could eat.
                This year,due to a loss in the family, and my wife's mother going to a winter retreat... I will be making the fresh polish sausage, as I do every year, for both us, and my wife's mother.
                My joy is of people enjoying my food.
                If more people cooked at home, our world would be a better place...

Comment

Pork Lord, If anyone can pull this off you can!

You asked about price.

To Johns point.

You asked "what will someone pay", I need to ask for what.

What are you selling? Meat, service, set ups, valet parking, beverage?

As for your margin, you need to know your cost to get to this point. TRUE food cast should be LESS than 35% of your sales. With labor thats would take it to 50-75%. There are some other fixed and variable cost to figure in then you can get to your margin.

BTW have you seen this? It got some good stuff on the subject:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/..._business.html
                  Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 31, 2014, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Pork Lord
                    Pork Lord commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for your positive feedback Jon! That article is a doozy but eye opening. I'm wanting to go even simpler than that. The licencing and training I know are a must. I'm looking into my Citie's codes on that. Thanks again!

• Pork Lord
                    Pork Lord commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Strictly smoked meat delivered to your door as it were. No sides, no catering, no table service just fresh smoked meat delivery for holidays/ weekends.

MH makes some great points in his business article that Jon posted the link to. I have been pressured for years to open a restaurant and I always tell people that it would take all the fun out of it. So I am like Dave and DW in that I would only do it when I was doing it for myself anf help out and keep the money end to a minimum. Money and friends is a delicate thing and can cost a friendship if not watched carefully.

Comment

Don't forget about your local food, health and safety regulations.

Comment

MG is spot on... you may be able to avoid some of that by licensing as a personal chef and preparing a percentage of the food in your kitchen and the rest at the costumers site. Each state/county is different.
                      Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 31, 2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

This would just be purely smoked meats. Turkeys, Briskets, shoulders, hams, chickens etc. I would run it out of my home and it is small time to make a little extra chump change on the side. I don't see how BBq'ing would not still be fun. I have been doing this for six years and I am always learning. Taking orders and delivering it to said customer. Thanks you those of you who chimed in. It's an ultra small business idea.

Comment

Holy crap! what an article! *gulp* All I'm talking about doing is strictly smoking meat and delivering it upon request with instructions on reheating or delivering it to a place fresh. Very simple. My thought is perhaps people would be willing to pay for the time they can't or don't want to spend. No sides, no catering as it were just fresh smoked meat delivered to your door. I am in the process of looking at certification classes as we speak for licencing. Eye opening. My operation would be bare bones
                          and very simple. Say it's Christmass and your family wants a smoked Turkey this year or Ribroast. I can deliver that and take some of the pressure off at Christmas/ Thanksgiving. My idea anyway. What do you gents think?

Comment

If that is all you want to do then you should start with folks you know and see what they will pay. Stay home for now and keep your overhead way down. You will find out how good you really are. If you can't stay busy with your neighbors and people you know then I don't think I would go to the next level. JMO. I have some experience in a lot of different businesses including restaurants. I also have experience in trying to make money in what was your enjoyable hobby. Bass Fishing was one. It is no longer a hobby when you HAVE to do it. It becomes another job. I know some folks make it doing that but it is no longer as much fun. Again this is just my opinion from my own experiences and others I know. Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis