Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe Harry Soo is right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Harry Soo is right!

About controlling the temperature by the exhaust. Think about how the PBC behaves when you remove one bar or crack the lid open. Temp goes up like crazy, compared to playing with the bottom vent. And is the 225 degrees era dying? Seems like everybody is cooking at around 275.

Backing down the exhaust is nothing new, when your wood stove flares ya turn down the exhaust, the bimetal springs on a wood stove goes on the exhaust

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      But you are not cooking on the wood stove, right? I worry about the exhaust gases on my cooker and smoker. Am I wrong?

• grantw
      grantw commented
      Editing a comment
      Guy, a wood stove will tell ya faster than a smoker ever will that the fire isnt runng clean cause it will fill your house full of stinky smoke. Its about a clean fire. It dont matter if the damper is full open of 30 % open you need a clean burning fire. Lets say for example you light 1/2 a bucket of coal then dump a full bucket on top of that and put your meat on. Nothing is going to help you there full open or closed even. The same is true if you put that half bucket in with a full bucket on top, no vent setting will help you there either because you would have to choke it back to hold a low temp or let it rip. Its about maintaining a small fire by using the top and bottom vents together.

I didn't think about that, interesting.

Comment

I don't go one way or the other on this one. Harry and MH basically are on opposite ends of the argument, which must mean there's plenty left to debate.

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with that. I fired up my WSM this weekend twice since I just got it. No food and working both ends on vents seemed to help. However. I never did close the exhaust more than half. My temp was between 250 and 275, no food.

I think they're both right. Given a tightly sealed cooker you can control the temperature using either exhaust or intake. Air flow in should be almost the same as exhaust flow out. Close either intake or exhaust and the temp will fall. I think this is true up to a certain point though, obviously if you open the lid more air is reaching the fire from the top than drawing in through the intake. The reverse would be true too, I suppose even though I haven't tried it, if you were able to open the bottom larger than the vent then more air will reach the fire and probably exhaust through the bottom as well. Path of least resistance??

Use what method feels right for you. I tend to keep the top open more on my egg to vent smoke and control the bottom vent for temperature. I don't have any leaks so this works for me! My kettle on the other hand is a mystery, but it leaks around the lid and I don't usually try to control the temperature too much. I use the kettle for quick cooks, not a low and slow. As long as the temp at the grill is within 10 or 15 F I'm happy.

Comment

I really don't get bothered with a leaky door on Big Worm. I used to fight with a cooker to keep it around 225 until I cooked on the PBC. Now I just let Big Worm cook at whatever temp it settles on as long as it's between 225-275. As for the exhaust, I'm with MH, I leave it wide open. I tell you what, cooking fun, period!

Comment

I agree with cdd315. They're both right and it depends on your cooker and the amount of fuel loaded inside. A charcoal or stickburning smoker is not a truck that has one gas pedal and one brake pedal, and the unique characteristics of your smoker dictate how you should control it. Often times (most times) the pit makers don't even know. My smoker came with shoddy 'directions' on how to use it. You just have to experiment. My offset has greater temp swings when I use the chimney cap (exhaust vent). My Weber seems to require a mix of intake & exhaust dampening. I do not own a WSM but it stands to reason at given temps and given amounts of fuel inside you will need to adjust whichever works best.

Comment

well said.

Comment

There are guys cooking on offets from 225-300. Whatever the pit wants to run at...they let her ride.

Comment

The only thing about closing the exhaust is the build up of gases.

Comment

I tried it on my WSM 14.5 I didn't see much of a difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis