Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOS - Recovering from a flare up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOS - Recovering from a flare up

Emergency help needed! I'm hosting a feast today and my shoulders caught on fire. I moved them from my smoker to my gas grill to make room for some briskets. Had to mow the lawn and noticed a lot of smoke. Opened the gas and my shoulders were blazing. I pulled them off and put them in the oven but my bark is burnt. Tastes bitter. How can I recover my meat? Just scrape and lose all my bark?

That's about all you can do. Scrape off as much of the black, bitter junk as possible. I'd suggest then you apply more salt and rub and smoke it more to bring back some desirable flavor. When you pull it, continue to remove any black chunks - not the good stuff just the black stuff, then add a little butter and hot water to smooth it out and moisten. I like to make a vinegar mop sauce: half BBQ sauce and half cider vinegar to mix in as well. Just enough to impart a subtle taste of vinegar.

Comment

CF if you're not too busy a pic or two would be good. Then we can laugh about it in a year or two.

Comment

Thanks guys. 12 hours of smoking down the tubes because of a stupid flare up. Should have just put it in the oven to begin with.

Comment

I guess were not doing them 2-zone??

Comment

Follow MG's advice. Are you wrapping in foil? If not you can sear them to get bark again when they are around 170. Don't let them get much hotter than that though or they may fall apart on you when you move them. If you are wrapping the bark is compromised a bit anyway. Don't give up!

Comment

Cheese sorry to hear about your problem. What did you do to correct it. I thought MG's idea was great. Sounded like the voice of experience. The feedback is always invaluable and it will help your fellow PM's to learn from others.

Oh, "You are the only person in the world that has ever done that!!" Not!!! Classic boner, happens way to often.

Glad it wasn't me this time.

Did you finish mowing the yard?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis