Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 big or 2 small smokers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 big or 2 small smokers?

Good morning to all! I have an important life altering question to throw out there for discussion. I entered my first comp. a week ago in Virginia and really struggled on my reverse flow 60" stick burner. The night air was cold and really damp and it really brought the inefficiencies of the smoker to the front. I have made the decision to not put a bunch of money and time into my offset but to purchase a vault for comps. Ive been looking at several companies offerings and for the money I really like the lone star pits vertical and backwoods g2 chubbys on the smaller end of the spectrum. My question is wouldn't-couldn't it be better to have a couple smaller pits rolling than one big smoker rolling the same temp, wood,etc? The biggest thing I noticed entering that comp. were the efficiencies of most of the teams. Soooooo, 1 big vault or 2 chubbys? Thanks

2 chubbys! ya never have enough smokers...

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought of another reason for 2 smokers... maybe you want to run at a different temp like chicken vs pork butt

I might would do 2 for a couple reasons:

1. Portability
    2. For when I just need one

Comment

Two is really a great start. You will have a collection of smokers eventually. What was the brand and model of your stick burner that you used?

Comment

Custom pro pit out of Athens. Good pit just not for competitions.

Comment

I've got my eye on a G2 Party, mainly because they are putting a pellet fire system in it. Visiting with my BWS dealer on Saturday, he uses a BWS grill to start off the big meats (4-5 hours) then moves the pork and brisket to a G2 Chubby to finish off after the meat is wrapped in foil.

Comment

Yes I think it seems better to go ahead and spend the money and get one bigger and one chubby for finishing and for every week practice.

Comment

Agreed! Did we consider three? Maybe that would be better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis