Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Smoking Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Smoking Wood

#21.1

Huskee commented
    October 16th, 2014, 05:25 PM
    Editing a comment

Candy, since you've engaged in a wine-type discussion on the nuances of wood smoke flavors....if you had to pick ONE type of wood to use from here on out, what would it be...or what ONE would you pick for each meat type if like me you think each meat benefits from something a little different?

If I could only ever use one I would pick apple no doubt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post got me thinking!

Hickory is the most popular smoking wood.

My contest mix is 50/50 pecan and cherry pellet grill fuel, which is blended with oak prior to pelleting.

Personal favorite is apple.

I love everything I've ever cooked using pecan from Mississippi.

Comment

Apple for me as well

Comment

Apple is my ''''go to" wood also

Comment

I like hickory and apple mix

Comment

Oak for beef
            Everything else Cherry and Pecan combo

Comment

Only one wood - Apple.

If I could pick one wood for each type of meat, I would go with the following:
              Chicken/Turkey - Apple
              Ribs - Apple
              Brisket - Hickory
              Pork Butt - Pecan

How does this compare to what you would use? I have never smoked fish. What would you use for that?

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Salmon= apple, peach, sugar maple, I hear alder being used for fish but I've never used it.

I've really been using a wide variety of woods:

Alder for fish
              Red Oak for Tri-tip and Brisket
              Pecan and/oak for other beef
              Apple, Peach or Sugar Maple for pork
              Cherry for chicken

If I had to pick one only, I'd probably use pecan.

One of these days I'll have to use the mesquite chunks that I bought some time ago. Too strong for the rest of the family, but I'll like it.

Comment

I've heard horror stories about mesquite during my research and I have stayed away from it. I've never used mesquite.

Comment

I use mesquite all the time... I like it. It is a little stronger so a little goes a long way.

Comment

hmm, I think I'll try one of my ribeyes over mesquite this weekend

Comment

Fish: Alder. It's just got an awesome, unique flavor.
                      Beef: Apple or Pecan mixed with Hickory. You need the Hickory for a little bite.
                      Pork: Apple from my neighbor's tree.

Thoughts on other woods:

Mesquite: just too flavorful. I think it tends to dominate the meat.
                      Peach: Kind of bland, but you have to watch out for flareups. It's got a lot of sap which can quickly flame up.
                      Maple: a very nice all purpose smoke. It's subtle and not specific.
                      Orange: bought it but haven't used it yet. Anyone have any thoughts?
                      Oak: Also nice for beef.

Anyone have any experience with blackberry? Every year when I cut down my Fruiticanes I think about smoking with them but I chicken out as I don't want to use something that may foul up my grill.

Comment

I just posted a hello from.... as a new member. I added a link to a wood flavor chart I'd found on the internets that's been most helpful to me. Maybe to you too. The link is:

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...lavorChart.pdf

Happy smokes.

Comment

I use nothing but mesquite. But then again, it's easy to come by for free around here. (I also have a free supply of aspen, but I only use that once I've wrapped in foil.)

Comment

I only use mulberry or apple, great smoke on anything Iam cooking , Ohhhhh yea Iam new to the pit so HELLO everyone

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis