Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Cookin' stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

Cookin' stories

How about we contribute stories to this thread about stories involving cooking from your pasts. They could be about you, or maybe someone who taught you to cook. I posted a short story in another thread that I am copying and pasting here to get things rolling:

This topic reminds me of a story my Dear 'ole Dad used to tell. When he was stationed in San Diego prior to deployment to the Pacific during WWII, he would go to some little restaurant off base for chili. He said that the owner made chili in the same pot every day, and never cleaned out or washed that pot. My Dad said it was the best chili he ever had.
    I think the health regulations may have been a bit more lax back then...

BTW - my Dad made great chili, and I follow his (non)recipe. He never measured anything, but just dumped stuff in until it tasted right.
  • EdF
    EdF
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
    • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
      Karubeque C-60
      Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
      TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
      Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
      Thermapen
      Thermapen Air
      ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
      Thermoworks Hi temp IR
      BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
      Various other stuff

That's the principle behind the New England bean pot - just keep it going on the wood stove in the winter, and add beans etc. Sort of like a Chinese "master sauce".

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      In Memoriam
      • Dec 2014
      • 1410 9th. St. N, Fargo ND

RonB, I think Your Dad's Chili Recipe was Probably Called INTAIT when I was a Kid along the Same vein My Grand Mothers stock answer when asked What She Was Cook'n, Was "Slum Gullion"? The Best Ever! Now if I don't Shut this iPad Off it Will be How Amazing Ribs Ruined Supper!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Mosca
        Charter Member
        • Oct 2014
        • PA
        • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

Long, LONG time ago. Late 70s? Early 80s? I was at a girlfriend's apartment, and I was tasked with making a communal spaghetti dinner. It was the usual type of meal for that time: jars of sauce, with cut up mushrooms, onions, green peppers added, and ground beef. Anyhow, I dumped the boiled spaghetti into the colander, lifted the colander from the sink and... yeah, you guessed it, it hit the edge of something and dumped all the spaghetti onto the floor.

There was no one in the kitchen but me. I scooped it all up, rinsed it really well with hot water, and continued making the meal. Everyone lived.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
          Jeff_Carley commented
          Editing a comment
          love that! I have done the same in similar circumstances.
      • HawkerXP
        Club Member
        • Jul 2016
        • Virginia
        • 2 Weber Performers, 1 kettle, 1 Smoky Joe and a PBC
          Thermopops
          Dot and Chef Alarm with probes
          Slo n Sear
          Cold beer

10 second rule!

Comment

• Abom
          Club Member
          • Sep 2016
          • Ford City, PA
          • (RJ) Kamado K7

Weber 22" kettle

Thermapen

DigiQ Dx2

GeneCafe Coffee Roaster

A long time ago (we were all in our early 20's) one of my friends got married, and the new couple invited some friends over for a pot roast dinner. Turned out the new wife was cooking, and she didn't actually have much experience yet. She served up a roast that was nearly raw. We all struggled to eat it and pretended it was fine, but everyone knew better. She was so embarrassed!

I of course looked upon her in a condescending manner knowing that I had much cooking experience already and never made that kind of mistake. Until the time a year later when I invited them over for chicken kabobs, a new recipe that I hadn't tried that used lemon and lime juices in the marinade. Guess who completely misjudged the cooking time because the chicken was so white? Yep, the "expert". I made everyone give back the food and put it back on the grill.

Then there's the time I served up hamburgers that could have been used as hockey pucks...

Comment

• EdF
            EdF
            Club Member
            • Jul 2016
            • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
            • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
              Karubeque C-60
              Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
              TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
              Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
              Thermapen
              Thermapen Air
              ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
              Thermoworks Hi temp IR
              BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
              Various other stuff

The over and under cooking ones aren't the worst. It's when you screw up the spicing and flavor that it gets horrible.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              Club Member
              • Sep 2015
              • Colorado
              • > Weber Genesis EP-330
                > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
                > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
                > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
                > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
                to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
                > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
                > Thermoworks Smoke
                > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
                > Thermoworks Thermapen
                > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
                > Anova sous vide circulator
                > Searzall torch
                > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

Way back when I was in the 6th or 7th grade, I became the designated griller of hamburgers, hot dogs, and the occasional steak. My parents were recently divorced and with dad away, it was all up to me. After thinking about it for a while, I arranged some concrete blocks (I now know that was stupid) into a "U" shape on top of which I placed an iron grate of unknown origin. On one of my first "cooks", I tossed in a bunch of charcoal and doused it liberally with ... (wait for it) ... gasoline! The "grill pit" was in a sort of low depression in the back yard and while I was cleverly waiting for the gas to soak in, fumes (think explosive fumes) accumulated in the depression. Eventually, I walked up to the grill pit and tossed in a lit wooden match. Fortunately, the fireball exploded laterally rather than up ... not only saving the black walnut tree under which the grill pit was placed ... but also rendering my legs totally hairless (did I mention the wise choice of shorts and bare feet?) for several months. Somehow, I more or less survived childhood ... due in no small part to my eventual discovery of charcoal lighter fluid.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Reminds me of a non-cooking adventure where I was going to burn up the Christmas tree, and used lighter fluid on it. At least you had the excuse of being a kid.

• Abom
                Abom commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I was on a camping trip where someone used a mix of gasoline and used motor oil to start camp fires. He decided to add some to a fire that was burning too slowly for his taste. Lost his eyebrows.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Lifting the lid of the BGE at 900 degrees and forgetting to burp it first!
            • Willy
              Charter Member
              • Apr 2015
              • High Desert of the Great Southwest

I was about ten or eleven when I decided to make my little, collapsible Boy Scout cooking kit shiny--with mercury. Hey, it made dimes shiny--why not cooking pots? Anyway, I ain't been quite right since.

Actually, my Dad "caught" me in time and that was the end of that pot set.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Willy - my brother had a small bottle of mercury when we young. We used to pour it in our hands and play with it. So I'm in the same boat as you...
            • cgrover60
              Club Member
              • Mar 2016
              • Albuquerque NM

Very young newlywed (me) with really no grilling experience decides to have new in laws (entire in law family) over for grilled chicken. Run out and buy a really cheap POS charcoal (horizontal barrel) cooker from TG&Y no wait, that's selective memory kicking in - honestly don't remember where I got it. Anyway, followed provided instructions and after an hour of direct heat chicken wasn't even close and guests were uh getting restless. Ok I panicked and yanked the chicken, put it in the oven and threw on a package of "hot dog appetizers" that got sort of hot enough to eat while the barbeque sauce soaked oven chicken finally "finished" in the oven. And now many years, two weber kettles and lots of tasty food later my now former in law family still ask if I'll be serving hot dog appetizers. Gotta feel the love, right?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes, they never let you forget! ;-)

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}