Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

About the AR Amazon Link?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Harry View Post
    Uh, Boss [AND HUSKEE per edit]? I'm late to the discussion and didn't read everything, but I routinely clear my cache, history, and cookies EVERY session. Does this mean I lose the AR cookie? IF SO, can I "find" it by coming to AR before I go to Amazon to buy a book or deodorant or a movie or . . .? That's hardly a burden since I'm retired and spend way too much time online and am an Amazon Prime person so . . . TIA.
    As long as I give the impression I know what I'm doing, then all is not lost!

Yeah, just pop in here (Pit or free site) and off to the right find the How to Keep This Site Free blurb and use the tinyurl link. If you're familiar with saving bookmarks, you can save that link as a bookmark and/or add it to a bookmark toolbar then it's there for you w/o having to come here first.

Leave a comment:

• Harry
    replied
    Uh, Boss [AND HUSKEE per edit]? I'm late to the discussion and didn't read everything, but I routinely clear my cache, history, and cookies EVERY session. Does this mean I lose the AR cookie? IF SO, can I "find" it by coming to AR before I go to Amazon to buy a book or deodorant or a movie or . . .? That's hardly a burden since I'm retired and spend way too much time online and am an Amazon Prime person so . . . TIA.
    Last edited by Huskee; April 2, 2021, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ribeyeguy
    replied
    I'm hoping to retire this year, move somewhere down south and buy a small retirement home for the wife and me. If it goes according to plan I'll make sure to buy the house on Amazon through the AR link!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce54 View Post
    I'd like to nominate this post, or the info contained, for "stickiness".
    Done!

Now everyone please make sure to house shop and car/truck shop on Amazon!

Leave a comment:

• ribeyeguy
    replied
    I agree with Bruce54 , it should be pinned or stickied. There's been many times where I'll read a post here about a product someone bought and zip over to Amazon to check it out. More often than not though I'll forget about the AR referral link. If it was pinned to the top of the page it might serve as a memory jogger.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce54
    replied
    I'd like to nominate this post, or the info contained, for "stickiness".

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    If I save the AR link on my desktop as a shortcut, will the AR connection be there as well or do I need to navigate through AR every time I go to Amazon?
    It'll work every time from your desktop, too.

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    If I save the AR link on my desktop as a shortcut, will the AR connection be there as well or do I need to navigate through AR every time I go to Amazon?

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Now THAT is one classy hat!

• kudzu
    replied
    Yep, me too, glad to know that it works and how.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to help

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskee View Post

It works if you use it and make a purchase. If it didn't work, it wouldn't have been featured for years as it has.
    My point is this. Let's say I want to buy a charcoal lighting chimney. I click on the AR tiny url ( http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs ) and it takes me to the amazon.com landing page here ( https://www.amazon.com/b?_encoding=U...&creative=9325 ). You can see that the AR tag is embedded correctly into the url.

I then enter "charcoal lighting chimney" into the search box and press enter to search for one. One of the choices that is shown is the "BBQ Dragon Chimney of Insanity" ... so I click on it and it takes me to the page where I can purchase it ( https://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Dragon-Ch...ghting+chimney ).

The AR tag is nowhere to be found in the url. So when I purchase the chimney, unless there is magic at play, I don't see how AR gets any credit at all for the sale. Perhaps amazon is somehow keeping AR associated with the search and purchase ... but if so, it is outside every url after the original AR tiny url landing page.

FWIW, I'm not trying to be argumentative here ... I just don't see how the featured AR tiny url can possibly work.

Edit: Just saw David's reply. Apparently the magic is provided by a cookie. That's a relief! (I hate unsolved mysteries) Thanks Pit Boss ...

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    It works even if you navigate away. Amazon stores a cookie in your browser, and that cookie will have the AR tag in it.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
    Why bother advertising the http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs url at all since it really doesn't work? As kudzu questioned (and as I reported many moons ago), as soon as you navigate away from its landing page on amazon.com, the amazingribs tag is immediately lost and there is therefore absolutely no benefit at all to AR.
    It works if you use it and make a purchase. If it didn't work, it wouldn't have been featured for years as it has.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis