Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Just venting.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickyBobby
    Club Member
    • Jul 2016
    • Brownsburg, Indiana

Just venting.....

Let me be clear from the start, im not asking for help or sympathy. I just don't have any other place to vent too.....

as ive posted before, I was extremely fortunate and was offered and subsequently accepted a new job with the government in Houston.

Well, it has been exactly 1 week and 2 days, and my truck was broken into in the parking lot of a federal building and somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 worth of stuff was stolen.

Im angry, heart broken, disgusted, saddened, ... Just about every emotion you can think of.

Most of the stuff can be replaced. No one was injured. I can be thankful for that.

I did have some things that can never be replaced, stolen. A Seiko watch that my dad wore in Vietnam and later gave to me. A very special leather patch given to me by a close friend and colleague from when I was deployed to Iraq, pictures of my family. Again, the important thing is no one was hurt.

Im not very impressed with this city thus far. I'm sure that I'm the exception, not the rule, but regardless, I'm struggling to decide if I made the right decision.

Thank you for listening. Again, I'm not looking for sympathy or support, just needed a place to vent. Have a VERY merry Christmas everybody! I wish good fortune and prosperity to everybody! ...Including the soul-less criminals who decided they needed my stuff more than I did. ......And it pains me to say that, but I will do my best to forgive.

Ricky Bobby.
  • boftx
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • CharGriller Pro COS
      Oklahoma Joe COS
      Maverick 732 thermometer
      Red Thermapen
      Favorite beer: Scotch

I know I make damn good BBQ cause my 3 dogs have NEVER said no to it. (OTOH, my 13yr old says no to just about everything, except my ribs.)

I have lived in Houston, I won't say that what you experienced is the norm, but I can't say it is rare. I am thankful that the company I work for, which has it offices in Houston, allows me to work from my home in Vegas. (And if you haven't lived through a full summer there yet ... )

Comment

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks boftx. After this, lol, I feel like a treacherous summer will be a "breeze."

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      RickyBobby it sounds likes you have not gone through a Houston summer yet, you poor, sad SOB.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember one time running through Hobby in a suit. It was in the high 90's, windy and humid. Yikes!
  • Nate
    Banned Former Member
    • Apr 2015
    • Quarantined

Sorry to hear that. A few years ago when I had just started working for a new company and was in Indianapolis for a week of training. After work I stopped by an Olive Garden on the way home and had my New truck parked in front of the front row in front of the building right under a light. Someone broke into my truck and stole all my company issues equipment (laptop, iPad, etc...) and a few other things including a portfolio that had my birth certificate, passport, and social security card. Luckily they ditched the portfolio and it was found but everything else was gone. Come to find out there had been a number of break ins at the same place over the last month. Point being is you go through a lot of different emotions when that happens so to an extent I get what you are saying. Sorry that you are having to go through that crap.

Comment

• SlushDeezey
      Former Member
      • Apr 2016
      • Texas

I live just north of there in Montgomery County. Like boftx said it's not the "norm" but there are high crime areas there. Also, this time of year is prime time for thefts so don't give up hope yet because once you experience a summer and a few hurricanes THEN you will be questioning your sanity.

Comment

• Huskee
        Administrator
        • May 2014
        • central MI, USA
        • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
          • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
          • PBC
          • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
          • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
          • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
          • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
          • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
          • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
          • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
          • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
          • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
          • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
          • (7) Maverick ET-732s
          • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
          • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
          • Thermapen MkII, orange
          • ThermoPop, yellow
          • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
          • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
          • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
          • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
          • Instant Pot 6qt
          • Anova Bluetooth SV
          • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
          • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
          • BBQ Dragon
          • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
          • Weber grill topper
          • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
          • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
          • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
          • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
          • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
          • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
          • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
          • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
          • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
          • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
          Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully soon this is just a memory of 'that one time way back' when that happened. My truck's been broken into too, and that wasn't even in a big city. There are despicable people everywhere.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Halethorpe, MD
          • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

As Has already been said, just wait until summer!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            In Memoriam
            • Dec 2014
            • 1410 9th. St. N, Fargo ND

RickyBobby, About a Year Ago some SOB tried to Break into Our House! They ripped the Screen Window and Storm Window of the Very Window I watch and Monitor the BBQ on the Back Deck! It was the Middle of the Nightt and
            My 3 Sh-- Bird Mutts went Nuts! The Police the Mutts probably saved the Day!
            Short of a Good Shotgun, I am forced to recommend 3 Not So Good Dogs!
            Eat Well and Prosperous! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	18 Size:	213.4 KB ID:	253405

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Those dogs look like fine animals to me...😎 I have 1 dog, who will greet an intruder nicely, a 12 gauge shotgun and a Glock for such an invasion. Being a responsible gun owner I've reviewed that very scenario in my mind many times trying to determine when is the proper time to fire.👍

• smokinfatties
              smokinfatties commented
              Editing a comment
              Dan, we need more stories about your bad dogs please!
          • Lowjiber
            Former Member
            • Nov 2016
            • Las Vegas, Nevada

I worked thirty-seven years for the Federal Government. Back in the early 90's, I had a lot of business at the Johnson Space Center. At that time, Houston was literally full of crime. Heck, the McDonalds had bars on the windows and armed guards inside the building and in the parking lot.

When my work was finally finished there, I swore on my coon-dog's grave that I'd never visit that city again.

Comment

• Dale Case
              Club Member
              • Oct 2016
              • California
              • BGE
                Cheap rusted out offset smoker (Now RIP)
                Baby Weber kettle (Beach Baby)
                Lava rock pile with a metal grate (Pele's Fire)
                KBQ C-60/SS (Miss Fancy Pants)

Maverick ET-732 thermometer

Hey Ricky Bobby,

Sorry to hear about the theft man, that really sucks.. I know how much of a blow it is to take a risk and change up your life/job when your not absolutely positive it's what you should do, then have some crap like this happen to you, but don't let it get you down man, keep your head up, things will get better... I know someone else brought up the summer thing, but as far as that goes you were deployed in Iraq so nothin' to worry about Brutha, and thank you for your service from a fellow Vet.. Merry Christmas !!!

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Charter Member
                • Feb 2015
                • Chattanooga TN
                • Karon Adams
                  Consort of the Flame
                  Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
                  Big Poppa's Drum conversion
                  Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
                  Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
                  Pit IQ blower

Dear Bobby, I am SO sorry! this was hardly a great welcome to the city! But, you have your family. no one was hurt, and you will be together this weekend. as for the list of things taken, Perhaps the only thing you'll be able to find is the watch. call around to all the pawn shops in the area. give them a picture, if you can. that's the only use these folks will have for it and if you tell the shop owners the history, most will try to help. even more, if you have serial numbers on anything that was taken, give them to the police. Pawn shops are required to list serial numbers on incoming items precisely for this reason.

As for the personal items, You know most of them are of little or no use to the person who broke into your car. but, likely, they prowl the neighborhood. I would actually put a note in my windshield, even on a local signpost or bulletin board asking that they come back, maybe even offer a reward cause those things are precious to you. it may not get you anything, but, stranger things.

You're gonna be OK. Houston can be great (Unless its raining) and the family will be there to hold a little tighter this Christmas and new year.

Comment

• DeusDingo
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Madison, WI
                  • Weber Q320 grill
                    Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Propane Smoker
                    Maverick and thermo Pen thermometers

if you would have had the couger in your truck you wouldn't have had this problem

Comment

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    GIT DOWN KAREN! lol great response, always need a funny to cheer you up!!!
                • EdF
                  EdF
                  Club Member
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
                  • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
                    Karubeque C-60
                    Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
                    TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
                    Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
                    Thermapen
                    Thermapen Air
                    ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
                    Thermoworks Hi temp IR
                    BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
                    Various other stuff

These are just resting up for that kind of entertainment.

Sorry about the incident, especially the loss of the personal keepsakes. Happened to me in similar circumstances a long time ago, right in front of a restaurant. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161213_171815.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	253481

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice looking pack of dogs...👍

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Too cute!

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They're good dogs. All rescues. They make a bit of noise at times, but they're very well-behaved.
                • tbob4
                  Charter Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Chico, CA
                  • BBQ's
                    Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
                    Cherry
                    Peach
                    Apple

RickyBobby , definitely file a police report and go to all of the pawn shops in the area around where things were stolen. An older watch does not generally end up on Craigslist but they make their way to pawn shops. Let the pawn shops know why you are there. People know items are stolen but if they know something is actively "hot" they don't want the heat on them and may help you out. Next, go to Craigslist and keep an eye out for bigger ticket items (computers, electronics) to see if some of your items show up there. Look for things that are distinguishable - a scratch on a laptop. Look not just at Houston's Craigslist, but surrounding towns, as well. When you write your report (or if you already have) find out the number of the report and who it is being assigned to and get their telephone number. Different cities have different divisions that investigate categories of crimes. If you find items on Craigslist, call the number you were given. Do not try to be the cop on your own - sometimes the perps will post your item and then set out to rob whoever is coming to buy. At Christmas time, PD's are swamped with thefts/burglaries. Any help you can give helps them out. Another thing to try and figure out - was the parking lot of the Federal lot Federal land? If so, you may be able to involve law enforcement agencies - one local and one Federal. My son lives in Galveston and his fiancé lives in Houston. He splits his time between the two. He likes it there. He reports that crime there is moderate, comparatively. He went to school in New Orleans and was robbed at gunpoint. So I guess comparatively is a broad term. I wish you luck and I hope you get those very special items back! Glad you had a place to vent - hope your Christmas goes much better than the start of the Holiday season.

Comment

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good advice SlushDeezey. Does Leads Online work without a serial number?

• SlushDeezey
                    SlushDeezey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe it may. I'm assigned outside of the detective division and can't say for sure but every major police department in the state has a pawn ticket detail that looks for stolen items. That's why it's vital to keep serial numbers.

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well that's good info. Not such cooperation where I have worked with pawn shops - they may have systems in some of the cities now but definitely not in the rural areas. What kind of dog is in your photo? I have Ridgeback's and their eyes look like that but not as fuzzy an ear.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}