Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

How long did you lurk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GadjetGriller
    Club Member
    • Dec 2015
    • Lubbock tx
    • I have 3 outdoor devices (plus a couple indoor items) Starting with the PBC, Faux Kamado Kooker,(Akorn metal Kamado) & Oklahoma Joe offset grill and smoker. I use the FireBoard WiFi Thermometer. IQ110 (heat control device for akorn) recently acquired a Char-Broil Big Easy TRU-INFRARED 3-in-1 Roaster, Smoker and Grill, I also have A Anova & Joule Sous Vide Wands and The Steakager ( a unit for Dry aging big hunks of meat!)

I ddint lurk per-say every time I would type in whats a good Brisket rub or St Louis rib rub or what ever the 1st couple of links always took me to Amazing Ribs. I'd print it out and go on with my day. One day I actually looked at what was offered and the Exclusive video seminars with the world's top pitmasters anchored by Clint Cantwell. made me interested. I'm a visual learner so seeing stuff done was appealing to me. I thought the Seminars were going to be demonstrations like how to trim a brisket or how to set up a minion method charcoal cook. I've never been a part of a forum and that part intimidated me. So didn't plan on participating in that. But then I found the videos and they turned out to be mostly talking heads with no demos I was bummed but then for the heck of it decided to venture into the forum part. I found the people to be very knowledgeable and not condescending at all like I expected. I learned more form just reading thier posts than I probably would have ever gotten from demos. So I stayed and write these incredibly long post for what should be short answers lol

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      GadjetGriller - I think there's a gadget that will help you shorten up your replies...

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB I'll have to check into that! but I'm afraid there is no cure for overflowicitis that I have lol
  • fzxdoc
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • My toys:
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
      Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks), named Pretty Baby
      Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill, named Hot 'n Fast (used mostly for searing and griddling)
      Weber Kettle Premium 22" named Kettle Kid, eager to horn in with more cooks in the future
      Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range named AfterBurner due to its 30kBTU burners

Adrenaline BBQ Company Gear:
      SnS, DnG, andLarge Charcoal Basket, for WSCGC
      SnS for 22" Kettle
      Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
      SS Rack for DnG
      Cast Iron Griddle
      Grill Grate for SnS
      Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
      Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
      2 Grill Grate Griddles
      Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Gear:
      Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
      Additional control unit
      Additional probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
      2 Driver Cables
      Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Thermoworks Gear:
      Thermapen MK5 (pink)
      Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
      Thermoworks MK5 orange
      Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
      Extra Big and Loud Timer
      Timestick Trio
      Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
      Maverick ET 733
      Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
      Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
      VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer

Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
      Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker

Charcoal Companion TurboQue
      A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic Series:
      8" Chef Knife
      6" Chef's Knife
      Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
      3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

I was pretty quick on the draw, having used the free portion for a while and then when The Pit opened, I joined up relatively quickly. Like Nate , I had to sidle up to the notion of the paid subscription model (this is my only one) but it has been well worth it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Hands down probably the best value for the money that I spend all year!
  • lschweig
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Oswego, Il

I luckily found this site when I decided to actually use my COS and noticed a section devoted to COS Mods. Jerod Broussard was so incredibly helpful that shortly thereafter decided to join up as sort of a pay back, but still stayed on the free area for a looong time. Then one day while recording cook times and temps I discovered the Pit and basically just read others posts.
    After getting my PBC in April and finding the dedicated forum I started to tentatively post within that discipline.
    Just recently (stupid me) found the today's posts and am now completely addicted.
    I also like the mostly thoughtful, helpful, and sincere advice members offer. The humor can be pretty entertaining as well.

Comment

• Zman23
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Weber 21" One Touch for grilling Weber 22.5" Smokey Mountain for barbecue Maverick ET-733 Weber chimney starter Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Slow n Sear

I've been using Amazing Ribs for years and push it on anyone that wants to talk 'que. I joined the Pit the day I saw it was available. Don't post much but read almost everyday.

Comment

• Ribber
        Former Member
        • Jun 2016
        • Central Florida

I have a right to remain silent. Anything I say can and will be used against me in The Pit...

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You're a smart man Ribber 😎
      • Baker Dan
        Charter Member
        • Nov 2014
        • North Eastern IL. McHenry County

I think it was a week

Comment

• Yno
          Yno
          Former Member
          • May 2015
          • Do you know the way to San Jose?

I think I joined pretty quickly. I only had a gas grill at the time and was looking around the internet for ways to smoke ribs on it. Never did find a good method. I did happen upon the Grill Grates site and was intrigued. But I can't seem to put much faith in the claims made by a manufacturer on his own product, so I searched more completely and found only good things about them. Actually pretty much raves, so I decided to buy some. In the search I came across Amazing Ribs, and was a bit upset that there was a portion hidden from view, and I believe I joined that day. Sometimes I am a bit impulsive. Of course, then I had to buy a PBC and a BGE. This membership cost me more than $24!!!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            You're just like the rest of us Pit members... you've been afflicted with MCS. My participation in the Pit is the $24 for my membership fee and about $3000 per year to soothe my MCS condition. I really ought to just read the text and not look at the pictures.😎
        • BloomHybrid
          Club Member
          • Mar 2016
          • Phoenix
          • Big Joe, Weber Genesis S-330, Thermapin

I actually found the site a couple years ago when I was looking for a guide for meat cooking temps. I never even realized all the good info that was on here until the beginning of this year when I started looking for new grill and this popped up. It wasn't long after that I joined.

Comment

• Willy
            Charter Member
            • Apr 2015
            • High Desert of the Great Southwest

I don't remember even how I stumbled onto AR, but, once I found it, I joined the Pit very quickly. Like others have said, it just seemed right to provide financial support for such a spectacular web site.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF
              Club Member
              • Jul 2016
              • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
              • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
                Karubeque C-60
                Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
                TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
                Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
                Thermapen
                Thermapen Air
                ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
                Thermoworks Hi temp IR
                BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
                Various other stuff

My wife mentioned a book by a guy called Meathead something or other that she heard about on the radio. An internet search got me to amazing ribs. Bought the book right away on reading the amazon reviews and looking at the site. Took the trial, and signed up near the end of the trial period. Obviously I liked what I was seeing.

Comment

• Ribber
                Former Member
                • Jun 2016
                • Central Florida

Alright, I'm breaking my silence. I think it was a good year and a half...or more. About the same length of time it takes me to research a car before I buy it. I have been on a couple of free forums (audio; Corvette) but not much into the social media thing but frankly some people use the forums just to be mean. I'm on Facebook but I'm not to interested in when people are going to the bathroom and how long they were in there .

So, I got a $25 gift certificate for my birthday this past May and decided to use it to join The Pit and help support the site and it has been good use of the gift. I've learned a lot from the free portions of AR but I think I have learned exponentially from The Pit. Aa lot of knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people and lots of good humor. So Thanks!

Comment

• Mosca
                  Charter Member
                  • Oct 2014
                  • PA
                  • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

Originally posted by LangInGibsonia
                  How is DK's site? I always liked his work but boy did he poach a lot of the Trib guys!
                  It's really good writing. DK tries to force controversy sometimes I think, but overall it is top notch. There is a Steelers feature called Carter's Classroom, where Christopher Carter takes the coaches' film from the previous week and focuses on one aspect; maybe linebacker play, could be special teams, wr, o-line, anything; and breaks it down so you can see what is really happening, both in the x and o's and the matchups and physical execution. Alone those 16 installments are worth the entire year's subscription, and you get all the other stuff as a bonus.

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Halethorpe, MD
                    • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

I am a charter member. Joined July 2014.

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Club Member
                      • Jul 2016
                      • Elizabethtown, KY
                      • Current line-up of cookers: Weber 26" kettle w/ SnS and BBQ Guru adapter; Weber Smokey Mountain 22" w/ Guru adapter.

Maybe 3 months or so. I tried a few of the recipes with great results and then I was sold on the idea of a membership when I learned there was more info to be had regarding Weber kettles. Picked up my first one on Father's Day this year and wanted to get the most out of it. No regrets whatsoever.

Comment

• PJBowmaster
                        Former Member
                        • Dec 2016
                        • Black Hills of SD

It was probably 3 years for me. I just joined this month....

Comment

• Breadhead
                          Breadhead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Welcome to the Pit... no sense in getting in a rush. We are a low & slow society after all.😉

• PJBowmaster
                          PJBowmaster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks! I've been reading your sour dough bread thread. Another area of interest for me.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                      See more
                      See less
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}