Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Adventure with Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Adventure with Jerky

Did a run of MH's Jerky recipe today. I made a homemade low carb ketchup to make a low carb KC-style BBQ sauce (not MH's recipe), used black strap molasses (stronger but less carbs), and regular Memphis Dust. I left out the hot sauce.

Started with a 2.81 lb eye round roast and trimmed off the fat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	24759

Then sliced across the grain in 1/4" or so slices and then cut those in half. Sat in the marinade for about 36 hours and drained in a colander (the marinade is so thick it mostly just sat there). Laid it out on a sheet tray to make sure the pieces weren't folded over, etc.

Name:	IMG_0846.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	24760

Went on the kettle with smokenator, mostly between 180-200 with a mix of apple & hickory wood (had some chips of both left over laying around). After an hour:

Name:	IMG_0848-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	24761

Then did my best to keep the temp as close to 140 as possible without going under. This ain't easy. I've got to learn the thermodynamics or whatever of my kettle. As you can see above, I had 2 Maverick temp probes on the grate. They hardly ever read the same and often had A LOT of variance. Surprisingly, it wasn't always the one closest to the heat that was hotter. Opening the lid at different places around the circumference had different results. Anyway

After a few hours, they looked fairly dark. I never had a tan stage like the recipe says and I never really saw much rosy either. Here they are when I took them off:

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	24762

And close up

Name:	IMG_0851.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	24763

(have to remember to take photos in square mode).

Probably not nearly as dehydrated as they're supposed to be, but they were nicely chewy and GF and I liked the flavor. I like the concept because I can decrease the carbs (I'm guesstimating the marinade in my version had about 160g and most of that gets dumped, so maybe a couple-few grams per piece). But the ultra low temp required a lot of attention, so I'll probably wait until I want to add a dehydrator to the arsenal.

Last edited by The Burn; October 9, 2014, 02:36 PM.

WTG man! I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

Comment

My local walmart sells thin sliced sirloin that I use to make jerky in my dehydrator. I use the lowest temp possible to avoid cooking the meat, --a Nesco FD-60.

Comment

Thanks guys. Jon, I'm sure you'll elevate it. Bill, is that model a good one? I just saw on Amazon that Nesco makes a lot of different models that are reasonably priced. I'd still do the grilling/smoking step, but doing the drying in the dehydrator would make this an easy project.

Comment

I'd eat that, looks like it's supposed to look if you ask me. Good job. BTW you'll feel so much better when you only use one Mav probe to monitor cooker temps...then there's no variance! My offset does that a lot, and like you say often the furthest one from the heat is higher due to the air currents.

Comment

They're a little more expensive but Excalibur makes an awesome dehydrator.

Comment

I like the Nesco because you can purchase extra drying trays and other accessories. Mine came with four and supports up to 10 or 12 as I recall. My first lasted about 14 years. I just purchased another about 8 months ago. I could then reuse my investment in the extra trays, mesh screens and roll up sheets that I have purchased over the years. Nesco has been around for a long time.

The model I have sports an adjustable temperature control, I turn it all the way down so the meat dehydrates and does not cook, 95 degrees is the lowest it goes. My preference.

Prior to the Nesco product. I had two department store brands that only lasted about a year each. I could not use the trays from the first on the second. Just something to consider....

I make a lot of jerky for myself and treats for my dogs, so it gets a lot of use. Probably on the average, once every week or so.
              Last edited by Bill; October 10, 2014, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis