Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulating a Performer Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulating a Performer Kettle?

Starting to think ahead for the winter. Last year I insulated my GOSM simply by wrapping it with a welding blanket. Can't do that with the Performer kettle since it's attached to the cart (and the lid holder) at various places around its midsection.

Anyone found a way to insulate one or have any ideas?

Tough one, those aren't suited well to wrapping the lower side with a welding blanket. Are you opposed to grilling in your garage near a window and having a box fan suck the smoke out?

Comment

TB they do pretty well just with a wind break. You could clamp your blanket around the cart to form a bit of a cabinet to protect the bottom.

Comment

Huskee - no window in the garage. There's a door, but it's basically in the corner and wouldn't be a good spot. I did use my gas GOSM at the front of the garage with the garage door open, but I feel a little less secure about charcoal. Not sure why, but I am.

Jon - the blanket around the cart might help. I am trying to come up with an easy wind break. I'm not much of a craftsman, so I'm talking really simple. I'll probably wander around Home Depot soon as see what I come up with.

Thanks guys.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I have used this stuff to make wind breaks. You can cut it part way thought and it will fold. If you don't cut the second layer of foam it acts like a hinge but it needs a strip of some tape on the inside only to add some strength Making a 3 sided box

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rmax-Ther...0?N=5yc1vZbaxx

Sorry I dont have a pic
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 9, 2014, 09:29 AM.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jon, I'll give that a look. At 8 feet, I could cut it just right to fit around the Performer Silver, which is 3 1/2' wide and a little over 2' deep.

It would also work on what I think I'm going to do with my GOSM. I've got these industrial/garage wire racks from Costco that I use 2 shelves high instead of 4. It's 4' wide and 18" deep, so if I remove the top shelf, I could sit my GOSM and its propane tank on it and be portable, and then attach this board around it.

Just remember you need unrestricted airflow or your charcoal will be negatively impacted. This probably goes without saying...

Comment

Glad I live in Florida. No issues year round barring hurricanes (knocking on wood)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24667 I use something similar to this for winter days in MN especially for the longer smokes. Hot & fast I do not usually bother. Cabela's has them on sale for $60 right now normally $80
            Last edited by jmeier64; October 9, 2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Jmeier - I've thought about things like that - pop-up sheds, etc., but I'm afraid of an errant spark on the polyester.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis