Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Probe Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Probe Temperature

I was cooking five chicken breasts on the top grate of a WSM 18.5 at 325. I had a food probe (Maverick 732) in the deepest part of the thickest breast. When the temp hit 160, I checked all breasts with the Thermapen. The other breasts all read 5-7 degrees lower. All were done within the next five minutes. Is this unusual? In other words, does the food probe transmit some heat to the interior of the meat it is in which would cause it to cook a little sooner? Or is 5-7 degree difference not unusual and this is just a learning curve being new to the WSM?

Did you check the breast with the Mav probe in it with the Thermapen? In the exact same spot? By how many degrees did the two disagree?

All meat within 5 to 7 degrees sounds par for the course to me.

Comment

Pit Boss. The breast with the probe actually read higher with the Thermapen in a couple of places -- but very close to the same near where the end of the probe was positioned.

Comment

OK that's good you checked the Thermapen against the Mav. My Mav consistently reads 2F higher than my Thermapen, which helps me to not overshoot, so I consider it a feature.

There are a lot of variables to how meat cooks aside from just thickness (though this one is probably the biggest factor). I think 5 to 7 is normal. When I cook a mess of chicken I'm actually happy with temp deltas like that.

Comment

Let me phrase my question another way. I should not expect all meat on a given grate to be the same temperature. The purpose of the probe is to make me aware of when I am getting close to the target temp. Once I am within about 5 degrees of target, I should begin monitoring all of the meat on that grate to ensure nothing goes over target. This monitoring can be done with a Thermapen (easiest) or moving the probe to other pieces of meat to check. For ribs, the bend test applies. For a newbie, is this a good approach?

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
            Let me phrase my question another way. I should not expect all meat on a given grate to be the same temperature. The purpose of the probe is to make me aware of when I am getting close to the target temp. Once I am within about 5 degrees of target, I should begin monitoring all of the meat on that grate to ensure nothing goes over target. This monitoring can be done with a Thermapen (easiest) or moving the probe to other pieces of meat to check. For ribs, the bend test applies. For a newbie, is this a good approach?

Yep, you got it! Newbie, Pro, or in-between that technique will work well for you.

Comment

You have shown that you've now passed from newbie to apprentice. Now we need to see your knowledge applied, via nice big pics!

Comment

Thanks for your help. Will post something from next smoke.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis