Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less

Rub on the inside - boneless leg of lamb (or pork shoulder)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Burn
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2021
    • West Chester, PA
    • Gas Grill: NXR Tabletop/Portable Propane
      Charcoal: Weber Performer Silver (i.e., 22.5")
      Charcoal: Weber OTG 22.5"

Kettle Accessories: Slow 'n Sear, Smokenator and Vortex and bound to be more on the way
      Smoker: GOSM Propane 38" 2-drawer
      Pellet: CampChef/Browning Deluxe PGP24LTD

Thermometer: 2 Mavericks, Red backlit Thermapen
      Anova Wi-Fi Sous Vide

Rub on the inside - boneless leg of lamb (or pork shoulder)?

Here's where science or experience that I don't have is important. I'm doing a boneless leg of lamb Sunday afternoon, but I think this would apply equally to a boneless pork shoulder like the ones from Costco.

When I do my lamb, I usually pierce it and put slivers of garlic at various depths, but I'm not sure it's really adding anything to the interior flavor. So I was thinking:

(1) We know that our dry brines don't move too far into the meat, and that's only the salt, so the flavor from the rub is on the crust; and

(2) We have cuts that are already tied or will need to be tied. So,

(3) Why not unroll the meat, apply the rub or paste on interior portions, roll it up and re-tie, and then apply on the outside also?

Is there an issue with the inner portions not getting cooked enough, i.e., as hot as the outside? (MH has his lamb going to 135 max and I take mine to 145)

Maybe just do a rub on the inside without any oil?

Thoughts?
  • Pork Lord
    Former Member
    • Oct 2014
    • Pasadena Texas

I have done this before with pork loin. There is neat and easy technique to "unroll" it by making a series of slices with your knife and it unrolls. (Perhaps you know this already) your idea is spot on in my book as I have done the same thing and it will flavor the meat all the way. I did mine inside and outside with extvirgin olive oil, fresh garlic, black pepper, sea salt, and fresh rosemary minced came out fantastic and use the oil inside so you have a slather for your spices but a little oil goes a long way.

Comment

• Pork Lord
      Former Member
      • Oct 2014
      • Pasadena Texas

No issues with the inner not getting cooked through it will take longer to reach that internal temp (rolled up) thickness affects cooking time. I prefer my lamb medium to medium rare but that's on rib chops and loin chops of lamb. What rub are you using?

Comment

• Ernest
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Dallas, Texas
        • Pit Barrel Cooker AKA The Chicken Whisperer, WSM 14.5 AKA Smokey, WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm, Weber Performer Platinum. KARUBECUE

I do that all the time. Unroll it, even make cuts inside. Season, roll back and tie with kitchen twine.

Comment

• Henrik
          Founding Member - Moderator Emeritus
          • Jul 2014
          • Stockholm, Sweden

I agree with the others. I always apply spices on the inside if and when applicable.

Comment

• The Burn
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2021
            • West Chester, PA
            • Gas Grill: NXR Tabletop/Portable Propane
              Charcoal: Weber Performer Silver (i.e., 22.5")
              Charcoal: Weber OTG 22.5"

Kettle Accessories: Slow 'n Sear, Smokenator and Vortex and bound to be more on the way
              Smoker: GOSM Propane 38" 2-drawer
              Pellet: CampChef/Browning Deluxe PGP24LTD

Thermometer: 2 Mavericks, Red backlit Thermapen
              Anova Wi-Fi Sous Vide

I will need to figure out some butchering on it for next time since it doesn't neatly unroll. It's almost as if they just yanked the bone out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	23953

I did do some seasoning inside, but since it wasn't even a relatively flat surface, I did it more for testing. It's so much thicker than other meats you would usually roll, I'm not sure it would ever be an even taste. I don't know that it added anything but neither did it make it worse.

I also rubbed the outside slightly differently. Usually, I oil and then added the spices. This time I made it into a paste and I think I went to light on the spices.

Name:	IMG_0822.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23954

This was also the first one I've done on the kettle, so I have some tweaking to do on the wood too - need more. The family and friends loved it, I'm just hypercritical of my own cooking.

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	23955

PorkLord - I'm using a modified version of Ray Lampe's "Herby Rub" from Slow Fire: salt, turbinado, garlic, onion, mustard powder, oregano, tarragon, thyme, basil & lemon pepper, with EVOO.

Comment

• Ernest
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Dallas, Texas
              • Pit Barrel Cooker AKA The Chicken Whisperer, WSM 14.5 AKA Smokey, WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm, Weber Performer Platinum. KARUBECUE

You worry too much, have fun cooking. All my butts are just like that, a chunk of hills and valleys.
              I usually mix spices with oil in a bowl, let them sit a few minutes then rub the paste all over the meat.

Comment

• Stevehtn
                Former Member
                • Sep 2014
                • East TN

As far as lamb I know most do unroll it and slather it generously with rub. As for pork shoulder though, to me a simple saline injection is the way to go. Just enough to enhance the natural flavor of the pork. Or even a simple dry salt brine if you have plenty of time to spare.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Meat-Up in Memphis