Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no more messin around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no more messin around

For those that followed my cook this past weekend you know there was a thermo crisis; my cheap taylor thermo gave out on me. Tonight I broke down and bought some stuff on Amazon (using the AR referral link of course) including the meathead recommended maverick thermo, two rib racks, and a roll of self adhesive nomex gaskets to seal up my leaky modified COS.

That cook ended up being very successful but I am always looking to get better. The moral of the story is don't be cheap, buy what you need. I am taking this hobby more seriously every time I fire up that smoker and I am loving it so the investment is justifiable. Buy good tech!

Yup! I had a hand me down Brinkman deluxe side box that actually had decent thickness on the steel but eventually it rusted out on me (it was well on it's way when I inherited it) so I broke down , and bought a quality pit that will last me a life time. It was 2,000$ but an investment in my absolute happiness. I'll never buy another box store pit again.

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      "an investment in my absolute happiness". Now that's one I haven't tried on the wife. I might even try modifying it as "an investment in 'her' absolute happiness"!

• Pork Lord
      Pork Lord commented
      Editing a comment
      It's true and yes I actually said that to my wife as she smiled at me and shook her head chuckling. She loves the end product though! :-)

Good investment. When I have the money saved I would like to get a Lang 48" original.

Comment

I looked at lang and they are damn nice. But I wanted to support my somewhat local (state) craftsmen and I really wanted a reverse flow so Johnson smokers was the only company I could find that actually specialized in them. It's worth to save for! Your cooks will go so much better and you will turn out a better product due to less stress and worry as you get used to the new tool. And hey, I'm a teacher so if I can save for it just about anybody can. What kind of pit are you working with?

Comment

Very cool PL, what were you cooking on before you Johnson?

Comment

A sh**y Brinkmann Delux side box that was half way rusted through on the fire box…it was free and lasted a year and a half. I ran circles around trying to keep my temp stable. I called Brinkmann to get a replacement box but they no longer made them so I said F it! and pulled the trigger on a custom job that I could afford after much research. What do you cook with Jon?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis