Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This can't be right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This can't be right

Ok, I went to my local Sam's club to get a brisket to do this weekend. They only had one whole brisket and one flat. Here's what I don't understand, the whole brisket was a 12 pounder (I think) and it was $46, the flat was a 6 pounder and it was $64. I ask the guy that work in the meat dept. why the flat was so much more then the whole brisket and the only answer I got was "I don't know".

I saw something similar at Kroger 2 weeks ago. They had several flats around 5lbs for $30-35. I wanted a whole packer. After being told no, they don't get those, someone "found" one. $45 for 10lbs. Seems weird.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I shop a lot at Krogers but we was at Sam's club to pick up some other things so I thought I would get the brisket there so I wouldn't have to drive across town. The next stop was Walmart so I got one there much cheaper and better looking. Its all good...

They have to pay someone to cut and trim that flat off. Not saying the charge is justifiable. But it is a free market.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Trim what fat off? It was cover with fat. I went to Wal-Mart and their brisket flat was half the price that Sam's club was and look a whole lot better.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Not fat, flat, simply removing it off from the other muscle.

Saw them same thing last week at Costco - the few whole packers were $6.99/lb and the flats were $8.99/lb. There was an older couple there wondering what they were supposed to buy and why the price differential. I explained that if they were cooking a brisket in the oven with sauce and veggies, etc., they only needed the flat but that we smokers want the fat cap that is on the packer. And like JB said basically, they could buy cheaper but would have to do the extra labor. What I'd be curious to see is how much weight would be lost if all the fat was trimmed off the packer and what the price per pound of actual meat would be.

Comment

Just out buying steaks for my brand new Grillgrates. Checked the brisket again. Whole packer 10lb - $40, 16lb - $63. Flats? $8.99/lb They had several 3.5lb flats for $26-30. These were select grade.

On the other hand, they had some full spare ribs for $11. Had to grab two of those!

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a whole packer instead of the flat. I don't mind doing the trimming.

Same reason why boneless, skinless chicken thighs are more expensive than regular thighs.
      You're paying for the convenience.

Comment

Along with the added cost of trimming, perhaps the flats were a higher grade? I dunno, just a guess.

Comment

If its cheap.... BUY IT !

Comment

Rule of thumb when buying meat. If it has taken on more processing i.e. trimmed briskets vs whole untrimmed packers, whole loins vs steaks, whole chickens vs skinless boneless you are always going to pay more for more effort in butchering. That's why I never buy St. Louise style cut ribs. I'll buy the whole spares when they are on sale and then butcher them at home to St. Louis style and prepare the tips separately as well. More work but less cost depending on your perspective.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis