Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental recipe ideas I want your input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimental recipe ideas I want your input

Ok so I've been tinkering with some interesting ideas lately, kinda off the wall BBQ combos. I started with thinking what to make for an Oktober Fest party and I came up with the idea for German Style Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Essentially a twist on Carolina pulled pork with mustard sauce served on a pretzel roll and topped with a little sauerkraut and maybe some caramelized onions. One thing sort of led to another and now I've been thinking of other combinations involving flavors from around the world and utilizing classic American BBQ techniques. So far I've thought of a ribs prepared El Pastor style and Hawaiian Luau ribs (not exactly an original idea but I thought I could improve it) I have a couple other I've been kicking around but I'm still in the experimental thought phase. I'd like to come up with some other internationally inspired flavors so I was curious to see what ideas others might have. So to all of you out there on the pit feel free to comment or weigh in with some of your own ideas or suggestions. What flavors or unique blends might you like to see created?

This isn't gourmet per se, but I recently made some Char Siu pork should strips. It's meant to be an indoor oven recipe, but I smoked them as I would ribs or shoulder and it was fantastic. A sweet, bright red variation on traditional smoked pork, and the smoke really set it up a notch. I can;t help but be confident this would make for an amazing rack of smoked ribs. Maurauderer hooked me up with his favorite packet, but Meathead also has his homemade recipe for it.

Comment

Potato waffles with pulled pork and red bbq sauce. So so good.

Comment

Pulled pork tacos with Kimchi.
        Use some Chinese Five spice in your rub, maybe?

I used this no cook Korean BBQ sauce with my duck tacos,
        Ingredients eyeballed
        • 1 tablespoon Gochujang (Korean hot sauce, full of umami)
        • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
        • 3 teaspoons soy sauce
        • 1 teaspoon Vietnamese fish sauce (I use Red boat brand)
        • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
        • 1 teaspoon sesame oil

Mix until sugar is dissolved
        Last edited by Ernest; October 2, 2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I wonder if curried ribs would be good, smoked?

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            They are delicious, I have done this several times, glaze with some mango chutney the same way you would with BBQ sauce at the end.

• Chef Ryan
            Chef Ryan commented
            Editing a comment
            I think curry might be nice

• Pork Lord
            Pork Lord commented
            Editing a comment
            The Tandoor (a clay oven) is what people from India and Pakistan use all the time and it works like a smoker/oven. Curry smoked I'm sure would turn out fantastic!

I have done shoulder el pastor style. Marinated, then smoked with hickory and a touch of mesquite, then splash with more sauce after pulling and chopping on thrown on the fajita skillet to caramelize the sauce. Was a great marriage. I have tried some Caribbean things with poultry as well as south American.

Comment

• Chef Ryan
            Chef Ryan commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the idea of Pastor style pulled pork. Probably works better then ribs since its a similar concept

I invented one the other day, cashew coated smoked meat:

1. Smoke your meat of choice the way you normally would. Use a basic salt and pepper rub and only do a salt dry brine, or do an Asian style marinade.

2. When you are ready to sear, coat it with a mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger powder, sriracha (or your favorite Asian hot sauce). You want to limit the soy and vinegar so that you get a very thick sauce, thickness is key for the next step.

3. Once the meat is coated with thick sauce, roll on a plate of crushed cashews until fully coated.

4. Put on rack and broil in oven until the nuts get a little bit brown, don't over broil and burn the nuts!

I will post pics next time I do it, its really good.

You could also change the concept to do a pecan coated meat with a KC or South Carolina style bbq sauce instead of the Asian paste above. My next one will be doing it Thai style with peanuts, I have a killer peanut sauce recipe that I need to transfer from my head to paper and nail down ingredient amounts so that I can post on here.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! I'm not a nut fan, but it really does sound good.

• Marauderer
            Marauderer commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, your commentary is great and I really look forward to the pics. If you would kinda make a build thread taking us through the process with pics if you can. Where did you come up with the basic concept of the nut coating your meat? Is it just butts or are you doing ribs also? I am looking forward to your recipes!!

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            It actually started with some simple grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs (one of my favorites for no prep grilled meat) and me putting cashews into the salad to go with it. I was trying to jazz up the thighs for some Tuesday casual gourmet with out a lot of effort and the idea just sprung to mind. I will do it soon with some pics to show the process, it was a nice way to switch up regular grilled chicken.

Well sometimes you feel like a nut…:-) :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            This isn't gourmet per se, but I recently made some Char Siu pork should strips. It's meant to be an indoor oven recipe, but I smoked them as I would ribs or shoulder and it was fantastic. A sweet, bright red variation on traditional smoked pork, and the smoke really set it up a notch. I can;t help but be confident this would make for an amazing rack of smoked ribs. Maurauderer hooked me up with his favorite packet, but Meathead also has his homemade recipe for it.
            Aaron, you are correct and I have made many racks of ribs in the Char Siu manner and they are excellent. I know I am biased, don't you just hate liking your own food, but others have confirmed it.

Here are some Ribs just out of the oven.

Now that I have a smoker I will be doing the next batch different. Besides coating the rack with the Char Siu dry rub I will sprinkle the tops of the racks with the rub after I get them on the grill. Then when just shy of being done I will put them on direct heat to burn/severely caramel the ends for a great product.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              And great it will be! That charred char siu was excellent. Almost pig candy.

• Chef Ryan
              Chef Ryan commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice I like the idea of the charred/caramelized ends. This is how we did the yakitori ribs except we smoked them as individual bones for rib-lets, then a quick dunk in sauce and on to the grill to form a nice almost candied coating. Turns out excellent!

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post

Aaron, you are correct and I have made many racks of ribs in the Char Siu manner and they are excellent. I know I am biased, don't you just hate liking your own food, but others have confirmed it.

Here are some Ribs just out of the oven.

Now that I have a smoker I will be doing the next batch different. Besides coating the rack with the Char Siu dry rub I will sprinkle the tops of the racks with the rub after I get them on the grill. Then when just shy of being done I will put them on direct heat to burn/severely caramel the ends for a great product.

NICE! WELL DONE SO FAR!

Comment

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you PL, that wasn't my best effort but it was one that had a pic. The next Char Siu will be ribs and pork and I will get pics and post a build thread.
              Last edited by Marauderer; October 4, 2014, 11:36 AM. Reason: dnfwi

Once you smoke that, you sir, will skip the oven totally unless to finish and get some sleep! :-)

Comment

I plan on smoking a whole chicken tomorrow with shwarma spice. It's an Indian spice I think and it's delicious from the restaurant. This will be my first attempt. Fingers crossed

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds great. I love Middle Eastern spice blends and use them on kebabs. Good idea about rubbing the whole chicken with shawarma. Thanks.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis