Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know of or belong to a small grill BBQ society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know of or belong to a small grill BBQ society?

Where I live the BBQ society is nothing but a club of members with big rigs. They have no interest in the "back yard" small BBQ and it's not even active beyond posting sanctioned events. I think a "club" that limits the size of the cooking surface to what the average BBQ enthusiast has would be successful. Competitions would be easy and fun. Does anyone know of such a BBQ club in your area? Scoobs

Welcome Mos! It would help to see what area/state/region you live in and what kind of equipment you are using. We like the small guys around here. I don't compete and most of the members here don't either. But we all have the desire to make the best Q we possibly can. If you need help just PM me and I will get you going in the correct direction. You are going to really like it here.

Comment

In MN we have the backyard society which is for all of us enthusiasts to try out a reasonable competition. I am going to try it next spring. Check with your local KCBS chapter or society. Hard to say without knowing your state

Comment

• Moscuba
        Moscuba commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in Minneapolis, MN Sorry, I thought that shows up.

I am a member of the MN BBQ Society. I never saw the Backyard Society link and only sanctioned big boy events showed up. I haven't been on the website for a long time after posting questions about such a thing and getting no responses.

Thank you much!

http://www.mnbbqsociety.com/mnbbqsociety/
        Last edited by Moscuba; October 5, 2014, 10:43 AM.

• jmeier64
        jmeier64 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Moscuba, here is the link, I find it right on the very top of the page http://www.mnbbqsociety.com/mnbbqsoc...ckyard-contest.

Since we are more or less neighbors, we should maybe see about competing together in one of those next year. I have nothing big or fancy. Just a single WSM

In a similar vein, myself and a couple other users had talked about a wood only club (no charcoal except to start your logs, no pellets, gas, or electric). It would be interesting to see what's involved in setting it up and gathering participants in any kind of backyard event.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        In a similar vein, myself and a couple other users had talked about a wood only club (no charcoal except to start your logs, no pellets, gas, or electric). It would be interesting to see what's involved in setting it up and gathering participants in any kind of backyard event.

Don't do it man, I'd be pushed over the fragile edge I'm walking to be a part. hehehehe

Comment

Aaron, I will be there with some kind of Stick Burner and I will go get Jon and bring him and his Stick Burner also!!

Comment

I will hook my stick burner up to the pickup truck and go. Just tell me where and when.

Comment

Huskee, you have to do this.

Just give some of us a 6 mo. or as much as you can notice so we can be there.

You gotta push Jon over the edge!!

Comment

If I had a cooker I would give it a shot. I have done stick cooks on friends gear. While sharing that principle I am scaled back a bit and different. No gas, electricity, only wood or coal. Cannot use fluid to start coal either.

But outside the talk of competitions, I am about using whatever techniques, methods and ingredients to make the best food period.

Comment

I hear you J. You can see I have avoided charcoal by what I am using but, I have the bug almost as bad a Jon to get a stick burner. We were talking and you could use a Weber kettle at a stick burners contest if all you used was wood

Comment

I would love to try some more stick cooking. I have never did anything longer than 4 hours. Also I did not have a Maverick with me so I was constantly checking the temp and the firebox. Also the COS I was using had crap for air control and leaked worse than a roof on an old derelict barn lol, so it was quite a challenge. Was fun though. If there was a decent COS I wouldn't mind having one. Maybe someday down the road I will get together with my metal fabricating buddies and build one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis