Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryovac - Smells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cryovac - Smells?

Anyone ever opened up a cryovac and had a strong sulfur or rotten egg smell?

Yes and I threw it away.

Comment

In a discussion on FB where people are saying that smell from cryovac is "normal"

Comment

Pit Boss has the right idea. I have never experienced opening a cryovac bag and finding a smell like that but I wouldn't chance it. There's few things I dislike more that getting sick from bad food. If it smells bad or funky in the garbage it goes.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          me too ... Trying to tell a guy that he doesn't want to cook that meat

I would like to be reassured by the science behind why that smell is normal before I ever trust it.

I once watched my uncle and my cousin argue over whether some pork chops that had been in the fridge for a while were bad. My uncle swore they were just fine. My cousin swore they had a hint of a spoiled smell. I was the tie-breaker. I bent down and took a smell thinking I might find a hint of something not right. I took a smell and instantly uncontrobaly started gagging! It took everything not to throw up all over. It was bad! I have a hard time trusting someone else's opinion now that I have seen someone who was ready to eat something that was with out a doubt spoiled!

Comment

I've had it happen. Smell went away after rinsing and drying. Cooked them. Ate them. Nobody sickened. Thats just my experience.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a fine line, often enough. I've gone both directions on marginal meat, and fortunately have been OK, thanks to my genetically fine sniffer.

I would rinse the meat and see if it still had the smell then pitch it if it did.

Comment

This topic has been discussed many times over many years on many forums.

My experience with somewhat funky smelling cryovac'ed meat has always ended up trouble free. I've never felt the need to toss out meat just because of the slight funk on opening the package.

I wasn't going to spend a lot of time googling for something that one can do for themselves if they're concerned but this site popped up to the top of my search so here is one opinion - http://www.freerangebutcher.com.au/a...vac-packaging/

If someone is looking for a more scientific/authoritative source have at it.

Comment

So, here's an interesting piece of input. Basically between me posting this originally and now, my friend who is a Costco meat buyer dropped in to say hi after work.

Well, actually he dropped in with a new lamb chop package they are going to potentially buy and he wanted me to cook a sample and give him feedback. That's a whole different story.

So, I posed this question to Rob. Rob has been involved with buying meat for 20 years now. He's done stuff in meat packing plants that you and I never want to know about. And he's opened way more cryovac's than pretty much any of the rest of us have, except maybe Meathead. Honestly, not even sure of that. I absolutely, fundamentally trust Rob when it comes to meat quality.

So, that said

Rob said ... If you open a cryovac and it smells like rotten eggs or sulfur ... And you are not a professional who opens 20-30 cryovac's a day .... You need to not proceed with that meat.

So, there you have it. From a guy that buys meat for Costco ... his exact quote is "if you are in doubt, throw it out" .... He also said "don't risk killing your friends and family because you think you can smell bad meat"

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                That's kinda funny because I have NEVER had a pack of baby backs from Costco that DIDN'T have a bit of that funky smell when opened. And I only get my baby backs from Costco. And will continue to do so.

Glad you posted that Histrix , thank you!

i've noticed the smell from Costco ribs, too, but it isn't quite the rotten egg/bad meat smell, and they are not tacky to the touch. But the smell is a bit off putting.

Comment

Whats the deal with fresh fish should have no smell? Ive caught fish right out of the ocean. They have all smelled! That slime smells and their breath sinks and their guts reek, sorry. Never stopped me from eatin them, except most sharks. Excluding makos and threshers and maybe a few others, they all release ammonia (think pee) into their flesh upon dying.

Comment

We used to buy spare ribs for Costco. One time we opened a cryovac package and the smell was a 'bit' off. I asked my wife to check it, and she gagged. Have to bought ribs from Costco since.

I now buy them from a local Mexican chain, which is conveniently about a half mile from my house. When I get them there, they pull them from the back, trim some of the fat and scraps off, and package them up exactly the way I ask for them, either whole or St Louis cut. And they are always great.

Comment

Yea I agree with the rinsing of the meat. This has happened a lot of times and after a simple rinsing of the meat and disposing the bag it always smells fine. If it still had a bad odor after rinsing, well then I think I would look at something else to cook but so far that has never happened.

Comment

Never had that problem from Sam's club

Comment

I have let my briskets go in the cryo for 50 days. Believe me, when you open up that one there was a bit of "funk" to it. But I rinsed it, and the smell all but went away. Then smoked it and it came out incredible.

That being said, I whole heartily agree with "when in doubt, throw it out." Its just not worth it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis