Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

What does it take to make you complain at a restaurant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

What does it take to make you complain at a restaurant?

I once worked with someone who complained about anything less than perfection. It was so bad and so frequent, no one wanted to go to lunch with him. I don't remember him ever enjoying a meal out. It was suggested to him by more than one person that he should lighten up, but he always said that it was his money, and he wanted everything right.

I hate complaining, but I will if the food or service is bad. One bad experience that stands out is a burger left on the grill until it was crunchy on one side. When I showed the crunchy side to the waitress, (you could hear it clink when I tapped it with a knife), everyone from the cook to the manager came to the table and apologized. The manager then comped our entire meal and threw in desert.

Anyone care to share an experience?
  • Tucson Bill
    Former Member
    • Jul 2016

Generally speaking, just being in a restaurant is enough to make me complain. I'm probably a lot like your coworker. I don't have to have perfection, but I'd like it to be right or at least acceptable. I've had some nice surprises along the way but a lot of not very good food and a couple of bouts with ecoli. Bad food and bad service (or both) seem to be the norm. We don't eat out much anymore unless we're on the road. We used to really enjoy Chilis ( the orginal Chilis on Greenvile Ave in Dallas) When they started expanding we decided to try the new one near us. Chili burger wasn't bad but the french fry basket looked and tasted like someone had unscrewed the lid of the salt shaker and just dumped it in. When I told the waitress that it was too salty to eat, her reply was "Yeah, someone else said the same thing." She took it away and brought back another one just like it. Now a days there's no chili on corporate Chili's menu (never mind the signature chili burger). If you never got to experience the original, you missed something.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Club Member
      • May 2016

I once had a waiter tell me that my steak looked horrible at a Red Lobster (The lobster was no better). He said, "Let me see what I can do." Went in the back and they sent out a different waiter.
      Once found a twist tie in a sandwich at a deli and they basically acted like I put it there.
      Had a manager at Caraba's call me an idiot for not giving him my email address for coupons.
      A waiter at a different chain restaurant told me my rare steak took so long to cook that it caused the whole table to come out late. So I pointed out that perhaps the steak wasn't rare at all, which it wasn't...
      Ultimately I express my disapproval by turning to sites like this to cook my own food. You can send food back over and over but the chances are if they couldn't get it right that time they probably never will.

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Charter Member
        • Feb 2015
        • Chattanooga TN
        • Karon Adams
          Consort of the Flame
          Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
          Big Poppa's Drum conversion
          Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
          Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
          Pit IQ blower

I don't go to restaurants, these days. as I learn more and more, and with my health, it just isn't worth it. I find that there isn't a restaurant in ChattaVegas that i can afford where I would be WILLING to eat.

but, unless there is a significant problem, bug in the soup (SHHH! Everyone will want one!) hair in the salad, severely over/under cooked food, I tend to take it in stride. I know how hard these folks work, having worked in fast food as one of my three jobs(at a time) in high school and college. I generally take in account the level of the restaraunt to decide whether a particular problem is something to complain about. I would be FAR more picky at a trendy gourmet place with Chef French FOO FROU thank at, say, Olive Garden.

however, I WILL speak to management on either end of the service spectrum. again, taking into account WHERE I am, I note the service. If I have a server busting it, even if i have to wait a few minutes for a drink refill, a smile and sincere attempt go a long way. on the other side, a server hanging around the drink station, so busy comparing notes on last night's date that, in a 3:00 dining room I cannot get a refill, then i'm mad. Either way, I usually ask to speak to the manager. I never tell the server why (they rarely ask, but the really great staff usually are nervous because they know they worked hard) and I will tell the manager how good the staff was as well as making an attempt to give the server, themselves, a little extra personal tip in addition to what goes into the communal tip jar to be divvied amongst all, good or bad. I'll also tell the manager that I want a substantial portion to go to my server and my cook staff (NEVER forget them)

I have learned to cook mostly because i LIKE good food and really, can't afford to go out. last time I went anyplace other than fast food to eat was my birthday, 3 years ago. I was wheeled into a local Italian place who does MOST of their business as Birthday dinners. the birthday person gets the equivalent of a pasta plate free, so they come for the freebie and drag their family along. Me, with, at the time, a snapped kneecap, just out of hospital rehab, still not allowed to bend my knee, in a packed, dark restaurant with tables FAR too close together and too small, and my leg arriving anywhere 5 minutes before me. yeah. good times.

So, speaking to the staff is not something I have had much opportunity to do, lately. but, more info than you wanted, that's why i talk to the manager.

Comment

• chudzikb
          Charter Member
          • Dec 2014

It takes a lot to get me to complain, send it back and they will spit on the next version, or at least that is what I have always been told. And I am not one to question a decent theory. However, if it is truly inedible, I will complain, also complain when the staff pours a glass of cold water on one of my kids. (has happened more than once) The higher end the place, and the higher the prices, the more likely I am to complain if it is not right. I have a friend that sends everything back, it is truly annoying, and I try not to be that "guy".

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Club Member
            • Jun 2016
            • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
            • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
              Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
              For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
              Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
              Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

I must be going to a better class of restaurant. An order has to be wrong for me to send it back. I'm a bit of a picky eater / super taster, so, if I'm clear with a server about the things I can't tolerate, and I get them anyway, I will send it back. But, I think I'm fairly understanding of what it means to run a restaurant. That said, very few chain restaurants, or even high end chains, though I hit up Chipotle and Wing Stop as regulars on my lunch circuit.

Comment

• ecowper
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Maple Valley, WA
              • Grill = Hasty-Bake Gourmet Dual Finish
                Smoke = Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"

Thermometer = FireBoard FBX11 with 2 ambient and 6 meat probes
                Thermometer = Maverick ET732
                Thermometer = ThermoWorks Chef Alarm
                Thermapen Mk IV = Light blue
                Thermapen Classic = Grey
                PID Controller = Fireboard Drive + Auber 20 CFM Fan

Favorite cook = Tri-Tip for the grill, whole packer brisket for the smoker
                Favorite wine = a good Bordeaux with steak, a good Syrah with pork, or a nice bottle of Champagne or California sparkling wine
                Favorite beer = Sam Adams Boston Lager or Shiner Bock
                Favorite whisky = Lagavulin 16 year old single malt

Best Cookbooks - Meathead's "The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling", Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", Aaron Franklin's "Franklin BBQ"

Eric Cowperthwaite aka ecowper

At moderately priced chains (eg Chilis, Outback, Applebee's, Red Robin) it is highly unlikely I will complain. The kitchen and food service staff is working their butt off for not a whole lot of compensation. I tend to overtip at such places, too.

At high end restaurants I expect something very different. If the steak isn't cooked as ordered, sides are incorrect, etc I talk to the waiter about it. At expensive restaurants you really are paying for perfection and experience and if you don't get it, you should make damn sure they know you didn't.

Comment

• David C
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Bay Area, California
                • Cookers:
                  Memphis Advantage w. Searing insert option
                  Bradley 6-rack digital
                  Thermal bath for sous vide, pressure cooker, etc.

Time & Temp:
                  iGrill2 & iGrill wireless thermometers used with iPhone 5
                  Drawer full of various Maverick models

BBQ Interests:
                  Love smoking ribs, pulled pork, salmon, sablefish, rib roasts, sausages, lox, beef ribs, and brisket when I can -- strictly for friends, fun, etc.

Websites:
                  http://www.cardinalphoto.com
                  http://www.sousvide.org

It really depends. If it is a burger joint and a "rare" burger comes out well done, it goes back. Ribs cooked to death go back. Many other lesser sins get a comment, so they know there is an issue, but not a serious complaint. Then there is the "if they ask" situation, where the server or manager asks for feedback. I'll provide some, but not in the form of a complaint, or expecting anything in particular.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Former Member
                  • Jul 2014

Tldr . .

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Banned Former Member
                    • Jul 2014

I never send anything back. If it's that bad I just leave. I'll pay for my drinks and tip the waitress. If the manager says I'll get you something else I say thanks but no thanks. I only dine out when it's absolutely necessary. I prefer my own cooking.👍

Comment

• jbeck1986
                      Former Member
                      • Jul 2016

It takes quite a bit actually. I'm very reluctant to complain. What sets me off is when we get blown off after the initial drop off of food. Then watching the waiter or waitress sit there and laugh bs with another coworker and do nothing. Especially when we are waiting for something to complete our meal

Comment

• gcdmd
                        gcdmd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        One of the signs of a quality or service oriented establishment is that the waitstaff, even if idle, are scanning the floor looking for signals, either overt or subtle, that there is a problem, not laughing and talking with other employees.
                    • LangInGibsonia
                      Club Member
                      • Jan 2016
                      • Gibsonia, PA (suburban Pittsburgh)
                      • Lang Riley

Suburban Pittsburgh, PA

22.5" Copper Weber Original Kettle Premium (2016)
                        Slow n Sear
                        Grill Grates
                        Drip n Griddle

Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault.

Cheap Blue Ember 3 burner gas grill.

ET-732
                        Thermopen

I find that avoiding chain restaurants all together has helped me to enjoy our dining out experiences so much more. I haven't stepped foot in a Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster et al. in years. The food is never any good and the service is rarely any better so I just don't bother. We are fortunate to have plenty of excellent one off local joints and trendy, high end places in town so I usually don't have much to complain about.

There was once that we were at a very popular place (in the Strip District for those of you that know Pittsburgh) and found a used band-aid in our appetizer. We showed the waitress and got up and left without waiting for any explanation or apology. We didn't pay for anything, just got up and walked out. Everyone sitting around us heard what had happened. The waitress was not very happy about that but neither were we.

Comment

• Ernest
                        Founding Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Dallas, Texas
                        • Pit Barrel Cooker AKA The Chicken Whisperer, WSM 14.5 AKA Smokey, WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm, Weber Performer Platinum. KARUBECUE

I don't complain at restaurants, never send anything back. I will complain in private though.
                        And that's why I cook at home. LOL

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF
                          Club Member
                          • Jul 2016
                          • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
                          • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
                            Karubeque C-60
                            Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
                            TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
                            Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
                            Thermapen
                            Thermapen Air
                            ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
                            Thermoworks Hi temp IR
                            BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
                            Various other stuff

I generally don't complain. But if something needs correction, I point it out and ask. Maybe 3 times in my life, I've left a restaurant.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                            Founding Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Calgary, Alberta, Canada
                            • Broil King Signet Gasser
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

Love all things Q, especially new ideas/techniques/recipes, always down for getting weird.

Depends on price point, can't expect perfection for a $12 lunch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
                            Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                            See more
                            See less
                            Working...
                            X
                            Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
                            Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
                            This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order