Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sealing my Kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing my Kettle?

Two questions for the brain trust on getting a better seal on my Performer Silver aka OTG 22.5 on a nice stand :-)

First, I removed the thermometer in the lid and use that hole to drop the cords for my Maverick 732. Is there any point to trying to find a grommet to make it a tight seal, either with the cords inserted or when I'm not using them?

Second, and more importantly, the seal of the lid. I do get smoke leakage and using binder clips doesn't do anything. It seems more that the lid has some play in movement side-to-side in one direction. Any thoughts on gaskets or anything else that would help close off the leak?

Thanks

TB are you having trouble controlling the temp?

If I remember correctly this kettle is new. It that correct?
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 27, 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I am having some issue having it settle down at any given temp, though it could also be my fire management. Usually, I'm using my smokinator and following MH's instructions.

Had it for about a month or so now and have done about a dozen cooks of various lengths.

Comment

So the lid has a good gunk seal going for it at least.

Back to your question. I have never used gaskets. I can hold a good steady temp with a fuse. I just started playing with the little coal baskets that they come with to see what I can do with those. After a couple of runs I cant do much.

(Not much help I know)
        Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 27, 2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

TB, Go to:

http://bbqgaskets.com/

I have used them several times and they have great gaskets at a reasonable price.

Comment

And let us know how you ultimately solve this problem

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis