Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetarian. NOT for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegetarian. NOT for me.

My wife has a friend, lovely woman, who is a strict vegetarian. She's coming over and I may be on Grill-duty. Any of you out there have any thoughts/recipes, etc on something interesting to throw on the grill for her? I'm making ribs for me and the family. I can throw on some pineapple or do some grilled veggies.

Figured I'd ask you all if there was something that could be cooked low-n-slow or maybe a bit more interested than some grilled veggies.

Try some of the veggie burgers, they have out now. They taste pretty good for not having any meat in them. They even have "soy" sausages. We've got a good selection of veggie stuff here in Canada, but your local grocery store should have a selection of pre-packaged veggie items, some may be frozen too.

Comment

Second the frozen veggie burgers, their are recipes out there but most of them have 30 ingredients and take quite a bit of time. I had a girlfriend once who ate these using portobello mushrooms for buns.

Comment

I thought that bacon was a veggie!!

Comment

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beans/index.html

Gotta think you could remove the animal fats in these recipes and get creative with veggie friendly modifications. That would be my thought.

Comment

I did these a few weeks ago. You can do a lot with tofu but it always taste like tofu which is nothing really.

SMOKED TOFU NOT REALLY BURNT ENDS.

1 pound firm tofu, drained and cut into 1” slices and pressed to remove moisture then cut in 1” cubes.
            1 tablespoon canola oil
            3 tablespoons barbecue rub of your choice
            1/2 cup barbecue sauce, you’re your choice
            Place drained tofu in a large mixing bowl, add 1 tablespoon of oil, sprinkle with barbecue seasoning and toss gently but thoroughly to coat evenly.
            Set up a smoker/grill or a grill for indirect grilling. Add tofu to smoker/grill grates, spread evenly with space in between, and cook 20 minutes, checking halfway through and turning if needed. At this point, begin basting tofu with barbecue sauce and cooking an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until a nice crust forms and texture is firm and meaty.
            Serve on a toasted roll with a selection of pickled condiments and sauce, or alone with a side of fries.

About 4 servings

Oh and I did smoke some big hunks of cauliflower yesterday for about an hour at 275 ish them threw them in the oven to finish, it was okay.

I just oiled and salted them and threw them on. they had a little smoke to them but not muck.h
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 22, 2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Chris_Ryan
              Chris_Ryan commented
              Editing a comment
              This all sounds great! thank you!

Pizza maybe? Or veggie kabobs? There are lots of ideas here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd...bbq--grilling/

Grilled Chipotle Sweet Potatoes sounds like something even I'd try.
            Last edited by IrondeQuer; September 22, 2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I had to deal with a vegetarian once as well. I searched high & low for something to serve. I was concerned because I knew whatever I made others would want to try it. So it had to be something I would enjoy myself & that would work for a main dish. I am a huge poppers fan so I kept that in mind while searching. I came across this recipe @ bigoven.com & tweaked it for my smoker. These turned out fabulous & are now a favorite.
              Ingredients
              • 4 Large bell Peppers
              • 1 tsp olive oil
              • 2 cloves Garlic; crushed
              • 1/4 Cup Green onion; diced
              • 1/2 Cup Whole corn; frozen is fine
              • 1/2 Cup Peas; Frozen is fine
              • 1/4 Cup Carrot; shredded fine
              • 1/4 Cup Broccoli Slaw; shredded fine
              • 4 oz Neufchatel Cheese; at room temp
              • 2 oz Cheddar cheese; shredded fine
              • 1/4 Cup Cilantro; Chopped
              • 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt; to taste
              • 1/4 tsp Black pepper; coarse ground
              • Directions
              • You need to pick peppers that are large enough to hold some filling. Half the peppers & remove seeds & veins. With smaller peppers it may be easier to remove the top and remove the seeds & veins with an apple corer. Set aside.
              • Heat the olive oil in a large pan and saute the vegetables enough to soften them (but not so much that they lose color). About 4 - 5 minutes should work. Then add the cheeses and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
              • Preheat smoker to 300-350 (if I remember I cooked @ 275)
              • Using a spoon fill each pepper about 90 full. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is bubbly (25min give or take)
              • Serve hot.
              • NOTES:
              • Your choice of peppers controls the number of peppers you need. Larger peppers hold more filling so you need fewer.
              • The choice of vegetables is limited only by your imagination and availability. Go for a mix of colors and flavors.
              • Can’t quite remember what cheeses I used but I did change it up a bit as I am a cheese fanatic.
              • Use your imagination

Comment

• Chris_Ryan
                Chris_Ryan commented
                Editing a comment
                And this seems genius! Between this and the tofu…I might be all set. I love this place.

I had to google Neufchatel. : )

This sound pretty good.

Comment

• BBQ4FUNN
                BBQ4FUNN commented
                Editing a comment
                turned out great lots of good smoky flavor, but now that you mention Neufchatel i think i subbed cream cheese

I love veggies but I think it would sure be hard to quit my meat habit.

Comment

Bacon wrapped asparagus!

Comment

• _Keith
                  _Keith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's always one...

• Chris_Ryan
                  Chris_Ryan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @keith - ha!

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HAHAHA! Yep!

Just serve up some brisket and remind them it's all grain fed. Think of it as second hand vegetarian.

Comment

Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers (from Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
                  Original recipe makes 5 burgers

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/4 cup quinoa

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 large clove garlic, minced

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)

1 egg

3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

1.Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.

2.Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.

3.Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.

4.Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.

5.Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.

6.Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Comment

The veggie recipes look like too much work. Just give me a hunk of meat and a fire, I'm happy.

Comment

Now this is a little on the crazy side, but I keep to a vegetarian diet myself. It's for health reasons and not any strict belief reasons. I'll admit, I take a taste of what I cook to be sure it's right, but I pretty much limit my meat consumption to that.

When it comes to cooking for a vegetarian... unless you're specifically requested to cook vegetarian for her, just do what you have in mind for everyone else and let her figure out what she will and won't eat. The last thing I want is for people to adjust their cooking on my account. Vegetarian diet is a choice, and part of that is accepting that sometimes there are limited food options.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis