Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Smartphones or dumb phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping some fun older polls to get new members in on them.....

Comment

I-Phones have enabled everybody to connect with the world. Stave Job was a visionary, do you think that we would be talking now if it wasn't for technology.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never once owned or used an iPhone. Elvis was a visionary, but he didn't invent music. Lol.

• PitmasterCowboy
        PitmasterCowboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Elvis was a Stooge. He had no ability if it was not for Colonel Tom Parker. Elvis was a great musician as a visionary he made great movies.

Like the Scorpion and the frog, I can't help myself on this one.

I HATE CELL PHONES! Now I can be interrupted anywhere! My quiet time can be interrupted by anyone.

I have an old timely flip phone (did you know the design came from Gene Rodenberry?)

Usually, when someone calls me at work from their cell, they are doing something else. They demand 100% of my attention, but are distracted. VERY few people multi-task well. Interpretation = you are not worthy of all my attention, but I demand all your attention.
      Important information gets garbled as cell towers switch or there is a dead area. The most common word I use when being called from a cell is "WHAT?" The caller insists I be absolutely correct in my advice, but can barely communicate the relevant information.

Absent an emergency, why do you answer your cell when you asked me to lunch? RUDE, and we'll never break bread again.

My cell is for emergencies first and then for four other people, my Wife, my Mom, my Son and one close friend/business associate. I will admit it was a Godsend to me when my Son was deployed - the cell was the only one to be used so we didn't miss a call - stayed with me 24/7.

Generally, I miss the days of the corded phone. People had to stand right there, get to business and get off to go do something. Communications were MUCH more focused and efficient.

NB - texting is for children.

OK, any psychiatrists want to have a crack at this?? LOL. No latent hostilities here!

Comment

richinlbrg I NEVER, repeat NEVER answer my phone when I'm doing things with friends, family, etc. Unless I need an "out", but that's rare. That. is. what. voicemail. is. for.

Texting? It has its place. It fits comfortably between an email and a phone call. I was dead against it for a couple years, thinking it was only for 12 yr old girls, then I realized like any tool it has its place. Funny how most of us resist new technology, some of us more than others. I remember when my dad complained that "power steering is for %@#^*". Lol.

Comment

• PitmasterCowboy
          PitmasterCowboy commented
          Editing a comment
          C'mon Huskee you are the MODERATOR of this technological advanced web page. Do you really believe that it would not be possible for people to connect with other people if it was not for this technology. Give me all or give me nothing.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL

Some tech I embrace, some not so much.

From my iPad!

I have Android for my phone, and iOS for my tablet. I think it's worth noting that the recent upgrade to iOS9 makes it almost as good as Android.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Android is good stuff. Melikes.

• JohnF
          JohnF commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here I started with an iPhone but got real tired with Apple controlling everything on it, switched to Android for a phone and have never regretted it, I'm keeping the iPad for facetime with the grandkids.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          The iPad is fine, maybe even better, for screwing around on the Internet and doing light work, and for photos. But Android is a better true mobile device because of the interconnectivity among apps. (My opinion.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Get_Smart.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	112256 ......

Comment

I still use a Pantech C3b flip phone.

Comment

I use a Samsung flip phone. After all, it's a phone - all I want is something that works well for its intended purpose. For everything else smartphone-like, I use an iPad with 4g access. No texting unless I have wifi access, but that's pretty much everywhere these days, and I have email and Internet access wherever I go.

Comment

Boys and Girls, I was born before there was electricity to the old farm, I tamped the poles in when Dad and a bunch of old neighbors put the Party Line in. By that time I could drive to town and chase the girls without them knowing I was on the Way! This is Progress?, iPhone, iPad, Land Line, 24 hr. a day instant access, disgruntled people if you don't have time! It's good that Amazing Ribs is here or I would think I was part of the Lunatic Fringe? Dan

Comment

• Noonesperfect
                Noonesperfect commented
                Editing a comment
                We eliminated the land line completely - one less annoyance. We also don't jump to answer the phone unless we're at home (unless it's my mother of course 😓). People can always leave a message, and we want to enjoy whatever we're doing without constant interruptions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	technology_evolution.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	112276 Life is something you work towards.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                @PimasterCowboy, You just depicted the story of my life! You lads from down under aren't half bad! Dan

Wouldn't own a smart phone if you paid me. Don't need the leash--or the monthly bill. We do have a cheapie Trac Phone that we buy minutes for to use when we travel.

I LOVE my IPod Touch 5, which for me is basically an MP3 player and e-book device, plus a flashlight (lol). I'm a birder and a gardener, so I have a bird book (complete with bird vocals) and the Sunset Garden book as references on the IPod. Great apps--unit conversions, star map, the Constitution, periodic table, on and on. Rarely use the WiFi capability, except at home when checking weather and such.
              Last edited by Willy; September 26, 2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... Remember I'm retired. I don't bother wearing a watch anymore. I don't buy green bananas, I don't take more than 2 shirts to the dry cleaners and I never buy more than a half of a tank of gas.😆 I don't wrap my briskets or pork butts and I rarely charge my Tracfone.😎. I don't allow being rushed!

Being out of the hustle and bustle of intense business transactions, making stuff happen and keeping customers, employees and bankers happy is no longer my focus.😁

The vast majority of my communications is iOS texting. Those that I'm close to know how to get in touch. Those that want to waste my time don't.😎

I've found that in retirement... Less is more and being somewhat hermatile is a good thing.😆

Less is more... I didn't get a television until I was 7 years old. We had a rotary dial phone that was on a party line until I was a teenager. We had no fax machines or computers.

I used to buy furniture for the largest furniture rental company in America that had 16 warehouses and 100 showrooms... And no computer.

I'm not sure the computer/smart phones has made things easier.😔
                Last edited by Breadhead; September 27, 2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis