Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me?

Meat prices here are getting sky high.... I watch the sales papers like a hawk to pick up meat on sale now.

Yeah it's pretty bad, Sam's Club has really good prices though, especially on pork

Comment

• gshayd
      gshayd commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy the boneless pork loins at Sam's and make chops and cut them in half to smoke.

You don't want to know what we pay here in Vegas, I can buy pork shoulders at $2.49/lb, picnic arms for $1.99/lb.

Comment

Those are pretty decent prices for here also

Comment

If you buy the cases, you save about $1 a pound. I got 60 pounds of pork shoulder for $1.89 a pound and today I bought 35 pounds of spare ribs for $1.98 a pound.
        I also live in chicken country and a place nearby sells overruns, a few weeks ago I got 30 pounds of whole chickens for $10 and today I got some breaded uncooked chicken strips for the kids, 15 pounds for $6.
        If only I could get beef that cheap!
        Last edited by _John_; September 19, 2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          John said: "... I bout 35 pounds of spare ribs ..."

Hey John, why don't you spend some of that money you saved on spelling lessons?

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Cause I already spent it on some Knob Creek, which is the root of that particular issue

Bay backs in most supermarkets here are $4.99/lb. I got mine today and they got mislabeled by the butcher as spares, I only paid $3.39, saved me maybe $10 on the two racks (6.6lbs total). This time last year $3.39 would've made me say "nope, not eating ribs tonight at that price".

Makes me shudder to think of next year's prices...

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          You gotta move to Vegas. But be sure to buy at Smith's. Albertson's had a full packer at 7.99/lb. Yeah, right. Hell, they have ribs on a BOGO sale at 8.99/lb. Who the hell are they kidding?

BTW, what are "bay backs"?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Bay backs, you know.... from down by the bay, but back.

I don't think they are getting sky high. I think they are sky high. I've said here before I don't think I've bought beef 5 times all summer. A few years ago it was 5 times a week.

Thank what ever higher power you choose for .99 a pound thighs and legs. And for the fact I don't have Vegas prices.

Comment

We are working today, second Sat. in a row, and they are probably going to work a few more, if they have the bird weights to keep up.

Tray pack chicken is in BIG demand.

Brisket at wal-mart dropped a tad. Might see some price stability if a lot of people walk away from beef and the demand goes WAAAAAY down over the next 2 years, if no drop in demand, be at least 5 or more years, with all the restocking it would take to get back the cow herd we had....

Comment

I've found that the price break on beef at Costco isn't buying by the case, but the next step down. For example, the full rib eye is $2/lb less than buying the pack of pre-cut steaks, and the difference between the case and the full rib eye is $1 or less per pound. I've finally got some freezer space and my Food Saver, so I'm going to buy one and do the butchering myself.

Comment

Well prices are generally ridiculous here... we used to buy pork shoulder steak once in a while it is up to 3.58 per pound up a dollar from a year ago... eye of round beef is up a 1 dollar a pound since a month and half ago... I can't even afford to LOOK at brisket

Comment

Try get in with a supplier and skip the store

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                  Well prices are generally ridiculous here... we used to buy pork shoulder steak once in a while it is up to 3.58 per pound up a dollar from a year ago... eye of round beef is up a 1 dollar a pound since a month and half ago... I can't even afford to LOOK at brisket

I agree, meat prices are ridiculous. Yesterday, I bought a 5 lb flat of prime brisket because it was "on sale" for 8.99/lb. It's normally $10.99/lb. Choice is a couple bucks cheaper. I don't even consider select....I'd rather eat out.

Comment

Originally posted by grantw View Post
                    Try get in with a supplier and skip the store

I've thought about this Grant. ​I dont have much knowledge of the meat supply chain How much are you able to save in general? Do they tend to have an issue dealing in small quantities or retail?

Comment

• _John_
                      _John_ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Someone asked me why I don't just buy a hog, I told em if they find one with 6 shoulders and a dozen ribs to let me know.

I do most of my meat shopping at Krogers only when it goes on sale then I stock the freezer up on ribs, spare ribs and ribeyes. I usually get my butts by the case at Sam's club. I caught ribeyes on sale for 5.99 lb, spare ribs at 1.99 lb and BB ribs at 2.99 lb. my only concerns is the electricy going out or the freezer quit working.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's when the Lang fills up FAST

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Real fast Jerod

We have a similar thread where folks had been posting their current meat prices where they live. It's here. Just in case you want to read the back comments from earlier this summer....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis