Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Heritage Pig Breeds make for good eats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Heritage Pig Breeds make for good eats?

So, I am lucky to live in Northern Virginia because there are farms all around me. These farms have heritage pig breeds and I have only tried the Berkshire and it was absolutely amazing. (Smoked with the recipe from PORKnography) I have been told to try the Black Hog next, people say it is even better. What do you think?

Never been able to try some myself.

Raised on Yorkshire myself. Nothing special.

Comment

I don't care what it is as long as I can fit it in the smoker. (My kids think they're safe now that they're teenagers but I just tell 'em that gives me an excuse to get a bigger rig.)

Comment

Some folks I know say Berkshire and Red Wattle are their favorites, Wagyu prices on those things around here.

Comment

I have had people use the same recipe and method of cooking but simply switched out the pork for a heritage breed (Berkshire) and it is a hole new level of flavor.

Comment

I do agree Berkshire is the finest thing I have ever cooked. But it is the only heritage I've ever bought.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 19, 2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

My butcher primarily gets Berkshire. So that's what I do.

Comment

heard that Duroc I think that's how it spelled is also supposed to be great but I haven't been able to find any heritage breed with out mail order yet but will be looking

Comment

I haven't found Duroc in my area but I will look. I want to try as many as I can to see what breed is the best.

Comment

What I know of Duroc it's the cement board you lay underneath ceramic tile before installing it.

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Probably wouldn't taste much different from what you turn out anyway.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's why I put brown sugar on it! Maybe I should crutch too?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis