Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn TODAY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you learn TODAY?

Fellowship in this forum we lovingly call The Pit is great, but from time to time we should remember we're all here because, at one time or another, we learned how to make awesome barbecue from one of Meathead's articles. At this late date in the year 2014 it just so happens there are 1000+ AmazingRibs.com webpages and it's very likely that not all of us have read those 1000+ pages. So here we are at the purpose of this thread. What AmazingRibs.com article did you read today and what new technique did you learn? Share! It's like Oprah's book of the month club for folks that have their priorities straight (barbecue 1st .... everything else afterwards...)

Watched Dr. Blonder's salt seminar. Read the science of rubs. Needless to say, gonna be scrapping a few vacuum sealed bags of Memphis Dust I made with salt prior to becoming pitmaster member.

Comment

I have learned that there are at least a couple of people here who have absolutely no future whatsoever in comedy.

Comment

My daily visits to Amazing Ribs are a bit of a trip down the rabbit hole. When I realized I haven't made ribs on the gasser in years. As a matter of fact I have never made ribs on my Summit. I went to look at:
        The Best Setups For Gas Grills, Gas Grill Maintenance And Troubleshooting

And while reading that I thought I should hit the link and take a look at this:
        Calibrating Your Grill Or Smoker With Dry Runs

Fortunately theres a link at the bottom of the Calibrate Your Grills Or Smoker that takes me back to where I started so I could pick up where I left off in the set up article but then I bumped into this link:
        The Thermodynamics Of Cooking And How Different Cooking Methods Work

And I think, have I read this yet?????

The question asked for this thread was what did I learn today. Short answer: I got a lot to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          My daily visits to Amazing Ribs are a bit of a trip down the rabbit hole. When I realized I haven't made ribs on the gasser in years. As a matter of fact I have never made ribs on my Summit. I went to look at:
          The Best Setups For Gas Grills, Gas Grill Maintenance And Troubleshooting

And while reading that I thought I should hit the link and take a look at this:
          Calibrating Your Grill Or Smoker With Dry Runs

Fortunately theres a link at the bottom of the Calibrate Your Grills Or Smoker that takes me back to where I started so I could pick up where I left off in the set up article but then I bumped into this link:
          The Thermodynamics Of Cooking And How Different Cooking Methods Work

And I think, have I read this yet?????

The question asked for this thread was what did I learn today. Short answer: I got a lot to learn.

The Thermodynamics of cooking and the article on the stall are two of the big reasons I initially became a fan of the site.

Comment

I enjoyed taking a Mr Rogers-stlye trip to the Kingsford factory and learning all about charcoal & how it's made, including the embedded YouTube video on how to make your own: . This was after I read the article on wood and smoke, thermodynamics of cooking, and the stall. The charts, graphs, and effort involved to make it scientific instead of the "do it this way cuz we say so" approach made me a believer.

Anyone who would devote this much time and energy to these articles, including input from a physics phD and recipes from a Cordon Bleu chef...for FREE, was worthy of my admiration. The regular ol' AmazingRibs.com is worth the $24/year membership, but it still remains free.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              A few cool but little known facts about Kingsford creater Henry Ford:
              He created a prefab town named Fordlandia in the Amazon rainforest to harvest rubber from trees.
              He created a hemp based plastic car that ran on biodiesel way back in the 30's and 40's.
              His home was green as well, it all ran off of hydroelectric power from the nearby Rogue River.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched the PBS documentary on him and Ford Motor Company. It explained the town you speak of. It said he scrapped the idea. It also really shed light on the fact that despite many peoples' fond impressions of him, and that fact the he WAS a genius of his time, he was a bit of an A-hole, especially to his family.

I watched the video of making coal in Pennsylvania through what Huskee provided above. I learned that in case of a zombie apocalypse, I can still smoke up some good eats.

Comment

Hi everyone. Thinking of adding a new addition to the family of grills, and been looking at the Weber gold, 22.5 with a smokenator or maybe a Pit Barrel Cooker. The PBC is nice, but it is mostly hands off, uses a LOT of charcoal and is high capacity. I live by myself and don't do a lot of volume, but try to grill often. I'm leaning toward the Weber gold. Been doing a lot of reading on both grills on this site. The grill cleaning page was really good, with some good points. I try to keep my grills clean, but we all get sloppy sometimes. Of course the recipe page and rub pages are great too. I read up on using a Faux Cambro to get my meats to a "Talk like a Pirate" party tomorrow night. It may be a couple of hours before people show up or want to eat. Still not sure if I should wrap them in foil or just put them in a warm cooler. Maybe I'll stick a hot brick in with the meat. Well, I only got about 980 pages to go! Life is sweet.

Bill
              Brewing Great Beer in South Texas

Comment

I went back and read again about the water pan after Harry's seminar. I thought the drip pan and water pan was the same thing. On my BGE I have the drip pan under the meat and put water in it. OOPPPSSS. I am still looking at how to put a water pan on the BGE. I have some ideas. Could be a new post coming soon.

Also about the faux cambro. I always wanted the meat on the grill when people arrived so they could be impressed, but only to leave them hungry while it finished cooking. Now no problem....make it early, let it sit and then serve when you want. Plus this now gives time to work on side dishes on the grill while the main course is in the faux cambro.

I came here almost one year ago when I decided to make a Turkey on the gas grill for Thanksgiving. This year I am much better prepared and have already started planing the Thanksgiving-Q
                Last edited by Mal Passado; September 19, 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

The biggest thing I learned so far was the proper use of salt. Prior to this I had always used store bought rubs, and seasonings, and always had meat that was too salty if I used enough rub t bring out the other flavors. Now am making my own rubs, using a dry brine, and really like the reverse sear. I have been using my own method of reverse searing, which did work well, but was at a much higher temp, probably 400ish on the hot side. So now I use a 250ish and make great burgers and other cuts. I also have went to cooking things with that method for things that I used to do hot and fast.

But since joining the pitmasters, I have found the information here in the Pit to be very worthwhile, plus great daily reading. I know I have utilized more than $25.00 worth if info before I even joined the Pit

Comment

Three things that have made me a better cook.
                    1. How to properly salt the meat and letting it sit then adding rubs with no salt.
                    2. Always use a good digital thermometer. No more guessing
                    3. It's the thickness of the meat and not the weight that determines the time of the cook.

There's more but these have made the biggest difference so far.

Comment

• JPSurf
                      JPSurf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Think I should have added a fourth, keeping a log.

I have some pork steaks to put on the Weber this weekend... Dry Brining!

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now explore the mysteries of apple jelly, apple cider, and maple syrup my son.

Today I stumbled into The History Of Barbecue Sauce

While looking for the recipe for Jazzy Hog Competition Barbecue Glaze. Which I promised I would make months ago.

From there decided I needed to get this book.
                    On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Good news is that the recipe for Jazzy Hog Competition Barbecue Glaze has been printed and filed in my travel cook/log book.

What did I learn today: I got a lot to learn.​

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      What did I learn today: I got a lot to learn.​
                      It's definitely a journey and not a destination.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                        Jon Solberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        reminds me of an Aerosmith tune... just sayin

I learned I need to test the "burnt offering" on a kettle this weekend....

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis