Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double the fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double the fun

Thinking of picking up one of the two packs of port buttt Costco and putting both on the pit. Normally I only do one. If I use X amount of wood for one would I 2 times X for two?

An extra chunk is a good idea but 2X the wood isn't necessary. Just keep it nice and smokey in your pit and those butts will turn out great. The vast majority of smoke just exits out the exhaust either way, so doubling it isn't necessary.

Comment

If you're talking about wood chunks for flavor, I doubt you need double the wood (if any extra at all) to get the same amount of flavor given how the air circulates. If you mean for cook time, I think as long as you have enough space between them the cook time might be only a little longer, and you might need a little bit more fuel burning at one time to reach the same temp (I notice you have a WSM) but it won't be double.

Comment

You might want to read this article: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._than_one.html

Comment

No need to add extra wood chunks, speaking from experience. Same costco twin butts

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful, is that a WSM?

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that's Big Worm, my WSM 22.5

Thanks everyone. Love this site, glad I joined. If I end up keeping my weekend and not having to work I am going to smoke 2 butts on my 18.5 WSM. One on the top rack and one on the bottom rack. I think that way it shouldn't take any longer to cook. I look at the log from my last pork but and use the same amount of wood chunks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis