Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs this Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs this Sunday

Gonna start off light with a few slabs of St Louis style ribs this Sunday. First smoke on the Lang. Seasoned it up a couple of weeks ago. I am going to use the Last meal ribs recipe, do I really need to use the crutch for best results?
    Pictures will follow. may use Memphis dust or my own blend, don't know yet.
    let me know what you think! Probably beans and Mac and cheese too

No, the crutch is not necessary for ribs. If you keep you temp in the 215-245 range (225 optimal) the average StL racks will take 4 or 5 hrs, with some variances either side of that possible. Crutching may speed things up and may soften your ribs, so if you prefer fall off the bone, the crutch will help with that. I only ever crutched mine once, prefer 'em uncrutched but there are no rules.

Comment

• NC BBQ Maven
      NC BBQ Maven commented
      Editing a comment
      No crutch it is!

What size is your Lang? I have the 48" deluxe.

Comment

• NC BBQ Maven
      NC BBQ Maven commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got a 60D, has a little more capacity than my old vertical

I don't know why but when I talk to the chefs at BBQ competitions they all say 275 degrees is the magic number for ribs? I've never had good luck with them at that temperature. My pellet cooker has a heat source really close to the grill grates which might be why. But you can never go wrong with 225!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Quintin "Q" View Post
          I don't know why but when I talk to the chefs at BBQ competitions they all say 275 degrees is the magic number for ribs? I've never had good luck with them at that temperature. My pellet cooker has a heat source really close to the grill grates which might be why. But you can never go wrong with 225!
          They'll get done much faster that way, but beware it's easy to dry 'em out. Trust me! Been there.

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
            Quintin "Q" commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine weren't too dry but too dark blackish in some spots. I think they were using water cookers so they could keep the temp high with good moisture in the chamber still.

Comment

Ribs came out ok, I would have liked them a little more tender and juicier though. I may do a partial crutch next time and see what happens. This time was 195- 230 for about 4 1/2 hours.

Comment

Will be doing ribs this weekend. Meathead's recipe, Memphis Dust rub, 225-250, will use the bend test to check for doneness.
              Will post pics, after fighting everyone off in order to take some.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis