Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it rains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it rains...

Rookie question here. You're grilling at your favorite (read: only) kettle bbq. You got your vents open up top and and next thing you know, the sky starts falling.

Can there be issues with the rain coming in? Do you just stand there with an umbrella - hoping you didn't just put on a 12lb brisket!? Just curious what BBQ-vets do. Hasn't happened yet, but wondered what happens or if I'm over thinking this.

-Chris.

Great question. I use an offset that has a chimney, and since that's not over the meat like daisy wheel vents, I don't worry a bit about rain. I suspect most who use WMSs or even kettles for smoking probably are under a roof of some sort. I'll be watching to see the answers here...

Comment

I bought a patio umbrella just so I could cook in the rain (and the snow). And was reminded last weekend that while they are water resistant, most aren't waterproof. I didn't have issues with water getting in the kettle, but I had to move my Maverick as it got hit with some large drips and it's not submersible.

Of course, rain also affects cooking temps.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
        Of course, rain also affects cooking temps.
        Big time! On my offset you can watch the temp plummet when it rains, even if it's a warm rain in the middle of summer.
        Last edited by Huskee; September 18, 2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I was thinking i'd use some tupperware for the Maverick (which this site suggested and I flippin' love!)

Comment

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a gallon sized zipper food storage bag for my Maverick and Party Q. Works well

Mine have stayed out in the rain, snow, sleet, hail and sunshine uncovered day in day out even when not in use and work fine. I'm not saying that's best practice but it doesn't seem to hurt 'em. My oldest one is 2 1/2 yrs old still kickin'.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            My motivational impairment has proven whether many things are hardy like that or not.

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            That sir is a tee shirt quality statement, just saying.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            lol, funny that is

What Rain?

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            We've got that table, except ours is the stairs to the trampoline.

How is that umbrella attached?

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Duct taped to the chair

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            But of course

If you are smoking on a COS, even if covered, rain will suck the temp out of that dude like a Shop-Vac.

Comment

I got a canopy from Lowes that works pretty well, I use it almost every time I cook because it has been hot. It is easier to put up with 2 people but after you have done it a couple times you can do it in 5 minutes solo.
            Link

Comment

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              I had one like that in the backyard. Forgot about it one night when there was a summer storm. The stakes stayed in the ground, but the wind wanted to play with it anyway. Looked like a pretzel the next morning.

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats pretty funny, my wife did the same thing with out giant patio umbrella, we used it once and by morning it was totally destroyed.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis