Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Bark when you bite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Bark when you bite.

I'm looking to achieve a better Bark after crutching during cooking and resting in a Cambro after cooking. Is there any adverse affects to placing the meat ( ribs, shoulder, brisket) back on the smoker after the resting period to give that bark a better texture? Or another better way? I'm afraid it will dry out or be too tender. Does spritzing help the bark formation be a little tougher or adhere better like Harry Soo suggested ? Avid Pellet Smoker

Not really sure how well it would work after resting, and probably defeats the purpose, but on my pulled pork at least you couldn't get it back on the smoker if you wanted to, it would just fall apart.

Comment

Ribs- I never wrap or rest, you can broil before serving, leave oven door cracked

Brisket and butts- just cook as long as you can before wrapping. Get mack daddy bark, then wrap, if they ain't done yet. You do that, it will ALWAYS bounce back when you go to serve, no matter how long you rest.

Butcher paper also helps.

When you do wrap or rest, make sure and do it fat cap DOWN.

Comment

• Quintin "Q"
        Quintin "Q" commented
        Editing a comment
        Ribs I definitely wrap but don't rest.
        Brisket and butts I wrap after the bark has set in nicely (usually atleast 160 ) but take them straight from the smoker(wrapped ) cool them off a little then into the cooler. The bark is Never the same as it was before the wrap and rest. It stays on but is soggy. No where near a fingernail scratch test .
        I never cook it till it falls apart I like it to pull but have a bite. I dislike over soft meat with not enough texture .
        I was late for my sons football practice recently and couldn't eat the ribs before I left. Put them in foil in the oven that was warm but off. When I came back the outside was very wet. But I didn't want to reheat them to dry the outside back out .
        Oh yeah and I don't leave much fat cap on anything. I wanna eat every bit
        Last edited by Quintin "Q"; September 17, 2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Yeh, I remove lots of fat cap, 1/8" in spots.

Comment

• kirikintha
          kirikintha commented
          Editing a comment
          So do I - it's such the goldie locks thing - not too much, not too little.

Agree totally with Jerod. There's also the broiler in the oven if you don't feel like placing back on the smoker, or searing over the direct burner on your grill or the coals, whichever your setup is.

Harry's technique will work but only if you do it exactly as Harry says- begin spritzing as it begins drying out, he has a method to it that he claims needs followed for the results he gets. But he also cooks a LOT of meat in his small cooker which changes the environment in there. Something to keep in mind.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis