Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will pulled pork keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will pulled pork keep?

Smoked butts on Saturday and pulled Sunday for an event on the 20th. Who long do you guys think fully cooked pulled pork will keep before it needs to be frozen?

Not sure, I had a similar situation but I vacuum sealed with the juices, froze pulled pork on Sunday. Defrosted in the refrigerator on Friday and on event day warmed in a simmering water bath while stilled sealed, wrapped in HD foil for extra protection.

I've had the vacuum bag rapture on me while warming in a water bath......yeah all the pulled pork ended up in the water.

Comment

We've eaten on it for almost a week.

Comment

• Cayenneman
        Cayenneman commented
        Editing a comment
        Im fairly certain Ive eaten it in the fridge up to a week. Im just checking other people's experience.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't mind since it has been taken to 200+ internal. I also keep fridge thermometers to make sure it stays 34-36. I also heat it up again good and hot.

I've had the vacuum bag rapture on me while warming in a water bath.
      That will happen when a bag goes through the ceiling.......

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        HAHAHAHA! You stalking me?!

I never use meat after 3 or 4 days, and then only if it is going to be re-heated to a high temp in the process, but I'm especially sensitive to bad food. That's why anything like pork or beef gets put into chili, stew or enchiladas on day 3 or 4, and never kept more than one day after that. Chicken never gets kept for more than 3 days, but then, I never fix more than what will usually be gone the next day.

Keeping cooked meat in the fridge for a week seems like stretching it to me, to put it mildly.

Comment

I will eat pulled pork for 4-5 days, after that is probably fine but gives me an excuse to make more.

Comment

I'd definitely freeze now, if you're not using it until the 20th. Pulled pork is cooked yes, but it's not jerky. Limited fridge life. Curious, did you start out intending to smoke it a week early?

Comment

I store it in a plastic container and eat it up to a week after it's cooked. When you reheat microwave it until it's warm in a covered but not airtight container/bowl/etc... then add a little sauce or water/butter... then microwave it again ... Comes out great!

Comment

I freeze all leftover pulled pork immediately in zip lock bags with the East Carolina sauce. Enough for two good sized sandwiches per bag. That being said, the freezer is usually empty of pork within two weeks. Not exactly sure why

Comment

Would you guys store the butts as whole as possible, reheat and then pull or just pull the whole thing and then reheat?

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                  FLBuckeye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would pull the whole thing, then freeze in multiple bags. Less of a huge piece of meat clogging up the freezer. More economical as well. Just take what you want to eat out and still have more for later. You don't want to freeze twice

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What FLB said.

Heres the whole story...I didn't want to cook all night the night before the event cuz I have to work and have a bunch of other stuff to do. I smoked a week early to avoid all the hassle cuz I have a lot of other stuff to cook as well. I started the butts Saturday night around 8:00 pm. Smoked thru the night into Sunday early afternoon. Pulled and refrigerated immediately. Held at almost 32Ëšthe entire time. I have eaten pork held this way well over a week and it was fantastic. Didn't want to freeze then that then thaw, then reheat 2-3 days later, but in the interest of safety for the guests thats the route I took. Will thaw and reheat on the pit when doing ribs, chicken, sausage, beans, ABT's and Moink's.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis