Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean your grills, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you clean your grills, Etc.

I have a Weber S470 that I don't clean often. I usually after a cook just turn all the burners on and burn everything off. I check the drip pan weekly and the drip tray when the drip pan gets about 1/2 full. Every year I take the upper end apart and clean with a wire brush.

Now my RecTec is another animal all together. After every cook I scrape the drip tray, wipe out the funnel to the drip bucket, clean the drip bucket and scrub the grates. Every 6-8 cooks I check the fire pot and surrounding area and clean.

Am I cleaning to much or not enough? What are you doing???

They say not to clean my PBC, but it is getting pretty hairy in there, I will probably lightly clean it soon and attack it with the power washer in November when I'm mostly done smoking.

Comment

Every month or so I rub the sides of the Pit Barrel to make sure I brush off any flakes that might want to "jump" on a brisket or two.

If I see more ash than normal falling off the ash pan, and collecting at the bottom, I will sweep it up.

With the build up on the sides, I am 110% sure I am getting ZERO reflective heating in this dude.

If I may say so, my take from your avatar pic is that you are one slick dude, and every thing you have is pristine, from the tools, to the pits, to the cars, to the lawn, etc., etc........

I be just the opposite.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 14, 2014, 07:51 AM. Reason: Punctuation.....

Comment

• Guy
        Guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Really Jerod??? I would have never guessed. LOL Still like you though. LOL

I clean my grills just enough that they function and grease/gunk doesn't affect the taste of the food. After that, I think it's a waste of time. Kind of like making the bed... What's the point?

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure. If it does happen I'll turn it off. We're not about that kind of thing.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Reminds me of people getting grills on their teeth.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        There are newer studies but here is a good story on them, they have shown that it is actually more healthy to not make your bed.

I remember hearing someone on TV say "why make your bed if you're just gonna get back in it? You don't tie your shoes after you take them off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4181629.stm

Kind of like making the bed... What's the point?
      In our out the military???

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post

In our out the military???

The only time I made my bed in the military was during Officer Training School. That's about the only time I ever marched too come to think of it

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Officer Training School. That's about the only time I ever marched too come to think of it
          I hear that, I did a TON of marching after boot camp, they say the most dangerous thing to a Marine is a 2nd Lt with a map and a compass. Can confirm.

Comment

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            John that last one is too funny. A 2nd Lt. with a map and compass.

I clean the grill top and the ash pit, the rest is there for additional flavor. Maybe Dr. Blonder can do an in-depth study related to cleanliness of grill/ to flavor enhancement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            If I may say so, my take from your avatar pic is that you are one slick dude, and every thing you have is pristine, from the tools, to the pits, to the cars, to the lawn, etc., etc........

I be just the opposite.
            Man, do I have you fooled Jrod. TOWNBO is the neat freak. I am the proverbial slob compared to her. Here is a pic of my one shop.

The other one is worse

Comment

• charchamp
              charchamp commented
              Editing a comment
              shes a girly girl, I could explain it but it would really be a waste of breath

• bbantel
              bbantel commented
              Editing a comment
              My spidey sense is telling me there is a reloader in there...

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment

I understand, enough said.

Man, I don't believe it...gotta be the neighbors.....you hunt any??

I just ordered some more rubber boots and a safety harness due to my recent oil spill.

Comment

• Marauderer
              Marauderer commented
              Editing a comment
              I use to hunt but now I am just a Shooter when I can.

I only clean the grates, ash and the outside of the grill/cooker Gunk? I can't be bothered. I'll let the charcoal burn off every now and then as a self clean cycle

Comment

I scrape the black flake scale off my smoker 2 or 3 times a year, usually only after it starts finding its way onto my meat, then I go "rrgghh, dang it" and cover the meat with foil and then scrape it. I do a big gunk removal once maybe twice a year from the bottom and the heat management plate.

My little Weber, I dump it out and scrape the gunk from the inside of the bowl occasionally.

I am motivationally impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
                I scrape the black flake scale off my smoker 2 or 3 times a year, usually only after it starts finding its way onto my meat, then I go "rrgghh, dang it" and cover the meat with foil and then scrape it. I do a big gunk removal once maybe twice a year from the bottom and the heat management plate. My little Weber, I dump it out and scrape the gunk from the inside of the bowl occasionally. I am motivationally impaired.
                I'm right there with you.

Comment

I clean my grill grates...sometimes....

Comment

<<My spidey sense is telling me there is a reloader in there...>>

That would be two Dillon 550's in the other shop.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis