Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beat Method for Cooking Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beat Method for Cooking Pizza

Very interested in the techniques used by the people in this forum. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

I've been wanting to do pizza on my PBC. Link below if you have not been there already, until others arrive.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/pizza..._on_the_grill/

Comment

I have done MH's recipe on my Weber. Very pleased with the results. I use this for the crust:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/pizza...zza_dough.html

Very consistent crust. I once left the crust in the fridge for 3 extra days due to scheduling issues and the kids said it was the best yet. Easy crust to make and the few apple wood chips I throw on gives it an interesting flavor profile. My daughter had a friend over (that unanticipated guest cut into my usual consumption) and she was literally agape at the finished product. I emailed the recipe to her mom but her mom said it was too much effort. Her loss

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n17760[/ATTACH] Grills are brilliant for pizza cooking, as the best pizza cooks from underneath. You don’t need a stone (although it is an advantage if you have one). A thin oven tray works too. The benefit of the stone is that it store the heat, where as a tray will simply transmit.

My two tips are to get the base really thin and to use a strong flour with a high gluten content. It can be a hassle stretching the base (with high glutton dough) as the elasticity will make it want to shrink back, but keep on rolling and eventually the shape will maintain. A really thin base cooks is minutes. Just long enough for some ripped up mozzarella to melt. If you can buy the cheese wet in balls, that also works better than grated (IMO).

Here’s one I did a few weeks ago on a pit. Great fun and 50” long.

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...pizza-uk-style

Comment

I lit a chimney of coals and let them ash over, then spread them around the perimeter of my Weber kettle. I was just trying it out so I grabbed a pizza from Walmart down the road and just tossed it on. Time was about the same as the oven instructions, it was very good, crust was very crisp.

Comment

I have made my own pizza dough, but lately I've been using pre-made and cooked pizza dough from the market. I use Mary's Thin Crust, but it may not be available everywhere. In any case, I preheat my Rec Tec up to 450f, cook the pizza on a thin pizza pan for 8 minutes. The secrets for not getting soggy pizza: Pre-cook the toppings that produce a lot of water, like veggies and especially mushrooms and onions. I sauté them in a little olive oil. Before putting the sauce on the crust, coat the crust with a thin layer of olive oil, using a pastry or basting brush. That creates a barrier which will keep the moisture from soaking into the crust.

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
              Before putting the sauce on the crust, coat the crust with a thin layer of olive oil, using a pastry or basting brush. That creates a barrier which will keep the moisture from soaking into the crust.
              Now that sounds like a great thing to know. I will try that on my next pizza. Thanks for sharing Mark.

Comment

I ran across something really useful a while back that y'all might like... How to Reheat Soggy Leftover Pizza from Chef John at foodwishes.com

This is really easy and if you have never tried it you will be amazed... Here is the url http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/...ver-pizza.html

Here is the vid:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis