Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbeque America Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbeque America Magazine

I read on another forum that BAM might have been dropped by its publisher.

Is anyone else a subscriber or heard anything?

I heard the same.

Comment

I sent email to the editor and the sales rep. Nothing back so far.

Comment

Interesting, I have been looking and waiting for the Sep/Oct issue, kind of liked that publication.

The same store also carries "Grilled," another every two months publication.

Comment

Still no word back from anybody. Very disappointing.

Comment

I see their subscription page is 404... Not a good sign.

https://www.ezsubscription.com/bbq/subscribe.asp

Comment

Wow! That was an EXPENSIVE issue I received. Been wondering when the next issue would show up. Now I know. Never. Crapola. The last issue was pretty good, a nice improvement over the first couple.

Comment

I got this email from Rick Browne this morning:

Dear Steve,
                The magazine is shut down. The publisher was forced into bankruptcy and closed all 19 of his magazines basically without notice.
                I am owed money, subscribers are owed money, printers and paper suppliers are owed money, writers and photographers are owed money. And most of us probably won’t see a penny.
                I apologize and I am struggling to make things good for all subscribers, and am working at keeping a barbecue magazine alive by bringing a new publisher onboard. I will not give up despite the financial implosion of the publisher. As soon as we have news I will share it with everyone here and on Twitter - I have not deserted you all, nor will I just walk away. We will make something happen.
                Please stay with me and trust that I had nothing to do with the publisher's problems. All of you are my family and I DO NOT DESERT OR ABANDON MY FAMILY. Once we get the new magazine started I will see about getting Barbecue America subscribers taken care of with the new magazine. I will do all that I can.
                Again I deeply apologize for letting you down and for the inconvenience, unfortunately I was totally caught by surprise.
                Warm regards,
                Rick

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the update Iron Man

• Ozric
                  Ozric commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not knowing is the hardest. Now we know. Thanks for the update and...

Sincerest best wishes!

This had to make you feel like crap. Sorry.

Well, it has been a while. Any other news out there?

Comment

I know Rick pretty well, and I was a columnist for the mag. He is honorable, but he was just an employee. When mags go out of biz, they have one very valuable asset: The subscriber list. It is not unusual for a mag to spend $20 or more to obtain a new subscriber. Renewals cost under $5. So selling the list is a very important part of the proceedings. So who buys a magazine's subscriber list? A competitor willing to make good on what is called the "unfulfilled subscription liability". Alas there is no other barbecue mag! So Rick must look for a publisher willing to start one. And that is not easy nowadays. There's this thing called the internet that is making dead tree publishing difficult. Who wants to start a magazine on barbecue, pay a fortune for printing and postage and compete with AmazingRibs.com, the biggest and most popular barbecue "publication" in the world with more than 1 million visitors per month and 7000 Pitmaster Club members? I know all this because I published a wine mag once upon a time and we did not go bankrupt, but we could not get past breakeven so we sold our subscriber list to another wine mag.

Say, maybe we ought to make him an offer? But that won't help you IrondeQuer. I fear you are out of luck.

Comment

No biggie, Meathead. I was more curious than anything. And I suspect you're right about AmazingRibs.com. I've learned more here than in any other publication I've ever read!

Thanks again!

Comment

Meathead I agree with you. I've learned more here than anywhere else. And I hope that AR continues to dominate BBQ information as it is the best source of information, advise and conversation in the world, hands down.
                      IrondeQuer But there is something special about getting the magazine in your hand. Its like buying a record at the store instead of on iTunes. Or a book instead of an digital audiobook. It just nice to have a physical collection. Anyone else feel the same way?

Comment

Yeah Spinaker, I tend to be the same way. Need something hands-on for the throne room at least.

Comment

It is called fragmentation. Newspaper, then it had to share news with T.V. and eventually magazines, then came internet at home, then internet on yo phone....

But I agree.....I so much rather have s hard copy in my hand.

Comment

And when tou are done, you have your chimney starter!

Comment

• IrondeQuer
                              IrondeQuer commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have a hard time parting with them. Well, with anything really. But one issue had a nice article on beef, steaks and grading. Still have it (somewhere).

• richinlbrg
                              richinlbrg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              LOL, I hear you on that, IrondeQuer!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis