Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What were you doing 13 years ago today, when you heard the news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were you doing 13 years ago today, when you heard the news?

Where were you, what were you doing when you heard the news on 9/11/01?

I was an insulator at the time. I remember I was standing on the top of a ladder on a large apartment building project near CMU, spraying cellulose insulation into wall cavities. The song on the radio got interrupted by the DJ to say there was a plane crash. When the DJ said a second one hit us guys looked at each other with this blank look like "Oh sh**"

At lunch the McDonalds where we ate had TVs, and people were lined up inside watching the events on CNN. I remember the gas stations soon began price gouging and there were cars lined up in the streets. Gas at the time was around $1.65 or so, and some places had gas up around $4 which would be like $8/gal nowadays.

I was at work and they sent us all home after the first tower got hit. I remember sitting with my 4-year-old grandson watching news feeds when the second tower got hit. Even at 4, he knew something shocking had happened.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-11-flag.gif
Views:	46
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	16811

Comment

I was home sick that day watched all day, cried a little, got mad a lot, and tried to make sense of it all and wondered where the country was about to go and do. lets roll I am not a religious man but, GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Twas unemployed, waiting for employment that never came, for that one company. Had just moved to Texas. No real TV reception. Ex-wife called from grad school to ask if I knew what had just happened. Watched what I could by adjusting the rabbit ears for some local news station reception.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 11, 2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working at a restaurant, they told me to come out front because the news was showing that a plane hit the twin towers, I said what kind of idiot does that, its pretty hard to miss something that big. I looked at the screen about 3 seconds before the second hit, thinking it was a replay of the first I was pretty floored, I thought they meant like a Cessna hit it. Watched coverage all day, they showed a lot then that they haven't shown since and probably never will for good reason...
            I was out of the Marines for 10 months, I got called up as an inactive reservist for duty, at the time they weren't sending us but might in the near future and asked who wanted to re-enlist. I hadn't done well since leaving service, I had some injuries while in and couldn't re-enlist but I thought under the circumstances they would let me, they didn't. Tried the Army and Airforce but they wouldn't take me either.

Comment

• ontheranch
              ontheranch commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your service then and your efforts now.

• Papa Bob
              Papa Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              YES thank you for your service, but I do disagree they should show it often, so we NEVER FORGET the pain and sorrow, a lot of blood spilled, treasure spent so I could bang on this stupid keyboard.

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Its weird, I hadn't thought about it really in years, didn't know anybody involved with it at all, but I did lose some of my guys in the Iraq and Afghanistan. Amazing that this many years later you still question whether you could have done something, or if you didn't cut em as much slack... I know that isn't a realistic view, but it doesn't stop it from popping up!

I was driving to work. My wife was 3 days away from having our second child. I called her on my cel phone and told her to check the TV. I finished driving into work, don't really know why. They sent us home about 2 hours later because our studio was considered a target. Sat around for the rest of the day being sad and angry.

Comment

working, doing what I still do Plumbing

Comment

I was working a trade show in SLC. Got stranded there for 4 days. Finally took the train home, and it crashed into a freight train in the Bonneville salt flats in the early early morning. Luckily most of the passengers escaped with minor injuries, myself included. Finally made it home a day later. We all thought we'd been sabotaged, but found out later it was unrelated to the attacks. There's a lot more to whole story but this is the short version. Only somewhat bright side is that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was going to do a special concert for the show exhibitors that night. (9/11). My boss was making me take a flight home that night so I was going to have to miss it, but still had my ticket. The concert turned into a memorial service that was nationally televised and I was able to attend since the flights were grounded. It was very nice, and I'm not Mormon. Funny story is that across from the hotel was a great sushi/Japanese steak restaurant. They had fresh fish flown in from SF every day. I went there for dinner and I remarked to the owner that I was ordering a steak because their fish wouldn't be fresh. He says, "our plane made it out before they shut down the traffic, so today you can order the sushi. Tomorrow you want the steak!"

Comment

I was boarding a plane at O'Hare in Chicago. I was the second or third one on the plane. Then they stopped the boarding process, so I went back to the Admirals Club. That's when I saw the second tower get hit on TV. The next thing I did was call my limo driver and tell him to haul ass back to O'Hare and get me, that his business was finished for the day. I was lucky to get out of O'Hare before they locked it down. I was on the first flight back to Germany when they started flying again on the 18th.

A couple of years later, on a flight to London, I smelled smoke, looked behind me and saw the crew rest seats on the 777 (4A/B) smoking. Turned out to be the entertainment system. We were already out over the Atlantic, but much closer to Canada than Ireland, so the pilot spun us around and landed at Gander, Newfoundland, the airport where all of the US-bound flights landed (way over 20 widebody planes). Just our one 777 overwhelmed the 5 little hotels. The airport was a single room block building. And those poor people were there for a WEEK!

I enlisted in 1969. Things were very bad then. I had my service cut short by a couple of years, but s**t happens. The guy that just bought the house next to mine is an active duty Marine Major (Cobra pilot/instructor). He just got sent somewhere for 6 weeks. I didn't ask. But I've got his wife and 2 boys covered whiles he's gone. She's one tough lady, taking the advanced nursing program at NAU. So, I get to play "six" again! I pray my help is never needed.

Ne oublie!

Comment

I woke up with a minor hangover that I had earned on a not remarkable party the night before. A party guest who had fallen asleep on the living room floor of the small single-level I was renting with my then-girlfriend got a phone call from her mom asking where she was, was she safe, such as. The guest was named Alicia, but we called her "Money" for reasons that are lost to me. I guess we thought we were young bohemians.

I dragged myself out of bed to see the endlessly looping footage of the planes hitting the towers and it was a cartoon programme for me at that point, not really something that I had the threads to dedicate to processing. I want to say I started picturing the Challenger explosion, but memory is a flinchy thing.

Nobody in that house could really swallow any of it, and we floated around all day. We wound up at a local pizza place (still in business) and we got a pie with broccoli and courgette. I remember eating a slice while the telly in the restaurant was blaring, and that was when it came home.

Memory is a funny thing. I remember the mozzarella being stringy. My mom called me to make sure I had heard.

I would hazard a guess that I am one of the younger posters in this thread. Those are the things I can remember, given a sore head and a set of values I now find confusing.

Comment

I live and work in new york city. I was born in queens and still live there.The day of 9/11 I was working for a construction company that had a stockpile yard in Maspeth (where I live)and was loading my boom truck with utility hardware .I loaded up and got in the cab of the truck and the rock radio station was saying a small plane hit tower one.Maspeth is close to manhattan and I looked to my left to see tower one smoking.My road plates are on the road in front of tower one and I was working my way downtown.before I reached the 59 st bridge the second tower was attacked and the city realised what had happened.Then everything went on lockdown,bridges tunnels to manhattan was closed.I turned the truck and parked alongside the midtown tunnel ,got out and stood on the bed of my boomtruck. Listening to 1010 wins the pieces were coming together about PA. and washington.A short time later as I was staring a cloud of smoke moved and the tower was gone.I immediately realised how many people had just died and was overwhelmed with grief over losing the brightest americans that worked there. I drove the truck back to the Maspeth yard and drove home.cell phone service was out and when I reached home I was greeted by a bawling wife happy to see me alive.Three days later and for three months after I worked 12 hours a day 7 days a week cleaning up tower 2 and building 7.I am registered with the wtc health registry and so far no problems.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome write-up knh! That must've been one heck of an experience there arms deep in it. We're glad you stayed safe and appreciate you helping your fellow man like you did.

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What Huskee said. He's got the writer's touch.

I was in Whitehorse Yukon waiting to fly in on a float plane on a moose hunt. They wouldn't even let float planes fly so we got to sit in the motel three extra days. Remember the Korean 747's that we ordered to land in Whitehorse? I watched them come in and it a very Erie sight to see a 747 coming in with An F16 right behind it! Moose hunt was great, got a 62 incher. Thumpmaster

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What did you do in a motel up in Yukon for 3 days? Play cards?

I was thanking G_d that my wife flew in the night before... then I took the day off work.

Comment

We sat very bored and waited for the Outfitter to call and say to get out in the parking lot and let's go shoot some moose. One at a time we would leave and go for a walk.... Somebody had to guard the phone. You can imagine what the only thing was on a TV! Thumpmaster

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis