Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on Sale! Need to freeze a few... Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PitmasterCowboy
    replied
    Were ever possible always use fresh produce. The problem with freezing meat is that the defrosted product displays a less that perfect result. This is because when you freeze meat the water in the meat creates ice particles which separate the meat fibers allowing water to accumulate in the expanded cellular composition of the meat. This results in a meat that is soft and mushy and not enjoyable to eat. When ever possible always cook your meat on or around the day you purchase it. For best results always use fresh produce, if you have access to a vacuum unit cook then blast chill cooked meat vacuum freeze then you avoid ice crystals forming in the meat.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Never got to welcome you to The Pit acbbq ! Where abouts in MI are you? Glad to have you here.

Since this is your first & only post so far, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Leave a comment:

• Papa Bob
    commented on 's reply
    DW That's the way to go, commercially flash frozen. Meathead has an article about soaking whatever your going to freeze in ice water for a couple of days to bring the temp down to almost freezing for a quicker freeze, smaller ice crystals, less cell damage less moisture purge when thawing (freezer bags with air removed or vacuum packed if not factory cry vacked)

• DWCowles
    replied
    I caught some pork back ribs on sale at Krogers for $1.99 lb.. They come off the truck frozen so I ask for the frozen ones so I didn't have to refreeze. Its nice to have a friend that work in the meat dept.

Leave a comment:

• Marauderer
    replied
    I'm a lazy git. I would just throw them in the freezer as they are in the Vac bags and deal with them when I defrost them. If you are really motivated dry brine them for 24 hr then rub them for 48 hr then freeze flat on a sheet pan and then in a plastic bag. The can go straight from the freezer to the smoker and it will increase the smoking time at 225*F about an hr. give or take. And the ribs will taste great and absorb a bit more smoke.

Leave a comment:

• The Burn
    replied
    I froze some of my last dry rubbed BBs and then nuked them for dinner one night several weeks later. I thought they were okay. GF thought they were as good or better as original. And this was with Ziploc baggies. Next time I'll be using my Food Saver and using it like a boil-in-bag, which is what I think MH recommends.

Leave a comment:

• grantw
    replied
    I have tried to freeze cooked ribs in vac pack and they weren't that great. Defiantly would freeze uncooked.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    That's a toughy...most times I would say freeze them. But many times ribs have been previously frozen, even if they don't specifically say so. I have frozen ribs before with no real noticeable quality decline, but I've also read where people have frozen cooked ribs or pork butts and enjoyed the reheated leftovers. If it were me, I'd check to see if the packs say previously frozen, if not, I'd freeze the racks as is. That's me. I like fresh off the smoker ribs, not leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• acbbq
    started a poll Ribs on Sale! Need to freeze a few... Suggestions?

Ribs on Sale! Need to freeze a few... Suggestions?

Toss them in the freezer as is?
    60.00%
    Prep em (trim and rub) then vac save and freeze em?
    26.67%
    Smoke em now and freeze as"leftovers"?
    0%
    Other options?
    13.33%
    Pork Back Ribs on sale!
    I bought more than I can cook/eat in the short term (OK, maybe more than I SHOULD eat ) They are dated about 8 days out FWIW. They came vac bagged.

I'd like to freeze a couple racks for later. So, should I...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis