Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food for 50, need a few pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food for 50, need a few pointers

I am doing a cook for a football team in a couple of weeks, I normally get food from somewhere and take it in but this time i'm cooking. They like pulled pork, which is convenient, but I need some ideas on quantity and sides. This is a before game feeding so they won't be loading down too heavily, but they are 15-18 year old football players. Bologna is also big around here so I will do that as well, but I am pretty clueless on not too heavy sides.

My thoughts on protein was 10 pounds of beef bologna and 30 pounds of pork, pre-cooked weight. They will be eating fairly light but this is a very economically depressed area so leftover food is taken home to help feed the family as well, so I will probably over cook, steering toward 20 bologna and 40 pork. My problem with this quantity is I likely can't do it all at once having just a PBC and 22.5 Weber.

So for the questions. Is this amount enough? Am I missing anything? Should I try to cook all at once or take another approach (I do have a food saver). And finally sides, nothing too fat, so some slaw is about all I can think of and while I've seen the recipe here, I have never made it and wouldn't know good slaw if I had it.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to mention the possibility of chicken, though my chicken hasn't been my favorite lately I should at least mention it. There is a plant nearby that has a public store front where they sell product that they produce too much of, it changes every day. Usually they do a lot of breaded stuff, but sometimes legs wings and whole birds are available and they are cheap, typically $1 a pound, the last visit they had a case of 10 whole roasters for $30.
    Last edited by _John_; September 9, 2014, 02:24 PM.

Boston Butts are usually 7-9 lbs raw, which will give you about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lbs cooked finished product that will serve 6- 10 people (depending on how good it is) If you smoke ahead, do not pull until you serve. reheating can take a couple of hours at about 250f. Then peel back the foil and pull as you are serving. I have usually over cooked the amount, but have no problem "selling" full butts that are left over!
    Baked beans are always a good high protein side. I have attached a recipe, not mine, that I have used with great success. Buy yourself some Bear Claws for pulling too!
    Attached Files

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      These sound good, thanks. I will make a test batch beforehand. The pineapple definitely seems interesting.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Also I will likely have to pull a little early, like when I'm setting up. They come in, hit the line and are gone within 30 minutes, you kind of just have to step back and wait for the aftermath!

Do you have any access to a grill of any size, i.e. in my part of the country rental places rent Santa Maria stile grills. Chicken thighs are easy and I have a simple way of preparing them and holding them in an ice chest with a simple sauce that kips them moist and hot for some time, would love to turn you on to it if you would like. Pork butts are a real good choice but 40 lbs. and 20 lbs. of bologna is a lot. Cole Slaw is great and the deli slaw recipe on this site is killer and is great with the pulled pork sammies. I am no pro but do cook for 100 to 150 people at times and would love to help.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd love to hear about your thigh method. I don't have access to much of anything other than some COS grills. I'd love to hear about your thigh method. Do you do skinless? If I go the chicken route I can smoke the butts for a few hours and then put them in the oven after wrapping to finish, that would give me 3 hours to work on something else.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      yes on both and boneless so much easer and faster cooking
      Last edited by Papa Bob; September 9, 2014, 04:11 PM.

Ok here goes, I buy bulk chicken thighs there cheaper, but more work cuz you have to clean more chicken googers. after trimming and cleaning I season with what my wife and I call HOUSE SEASONING 1 c. kosher salt, 1/2 cup fresh ground pepper,1/3 c. granulated onion,1/3 c. granulated garlic mix all together we keep it in a qt. mason jar. season chicken liberally put in 1or2 gallon Ziploc bags in ice box 1 or 2 days I than skewer 4 to 5 pieces per skewer. I have a bunch of two prong skewers ( metal is easer to remove cooked chicken than bamboo but they will work ) try to keep the thighs in a little package for easer skewering. once skewered push meat close together than flatten out to make them all the same thickness cuz when you buy chicken bulk you get a lot of different sizes and this way all are the same thickness, all cook the same amount of time. sounds like a lot of work, but trying to turn 150 pieces of chicken of different sizes verses 30-40 skewers over a hot grill you get the point, I cook chicken to 145 degrees, chicken will continue to about 150. Line a ice chest with foil for easer clean up. holding sauce: 2 cubes of butter,2-12oz. beers Coors, Bud,PBR (the kids don't drink it) 1/2 cup lemon juice 16 oz. bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce or homemade your choice for 150 thighs I usually make 3 or 4 batches, heat it up to 150.degrees pour it over chicken I fold foil over and close lid, chicken will stay hot for hrs. if you are going to serve in trays remove chicken from skewers line them up in foil pans put some sauce over and serve with tongs. I hope this helps and have a great time with them kids

Comment

hey by the way do a Bing search on cooking for a crowd you will get some good info. I tried two send you some of the stuff I have, but am to stupid to figure out how, some day.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the info! How do you flatten them out, all thats coming to my mind is pounding them but that is usually breasts...

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never heard a Hollywood plastic surgeon talk about flattening breasts. Oops did i cross line. Where's the moderators...

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          thighs my friend, thighs, lol

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          lolol, that's one for the recordbooks

Looks interesting, PapaBob! Thanks!!

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          you are welcome, it's about feeding lots with a little and make it taste exceptional

when you clean the chicken and season it and let it brine. your going to take all the chicken,and kind of put it back together, like it has the bone in it, kind of like putting all the ratty pieces back inside then skewer and push them close together all the skin side up lay the skewer on your work surface an gently with the palm of your hand flatten them out not pound just until they are all the same thickness. you keep them tightly together that way it's like one larger piece of meat not like 4 or 5 little ones. the double skewer stops them from spinning around. I hope this clears this up, I'm not real good with typing explanations but will keep trying until you understand.

Comment

I think I get it, I didn't see where you were removing the bone so that explains a lot.

Comment

• Papa Bob
            Papa Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            buy boneless skinless thighs, you can do it your self and save a lot of money, but will be a lot of work. this method works equally as good with boneless skinless breasts but I like thighs better, help spread the word. Be nice Huskee.

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, I just happen to have 10 pounds of boneless skinless breasts...

• Papa Bob
            Papa Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            that is a good way for you to practice. remember breasts dry out fast, have a good Thermopen take them off at 140 (THEY WILL FINISH AND HOLD IN THE SAFE ZONE) they will be juicy and firm and tastey. For bout $40.00 or so get a turkey fryer great way to boil water for corn on the cobb, heating up large quantities of beans ,water for sanitation and clean up, your cooking for friends you don't want to get them sick or worse. Restaurant supply stores are a great place to get large stuff light weight very large stainless steel bowls (serving salads, cole slaw, potato salad) durable, reusable, looks nice (professional looking) serving spoons long rolls of table cloths. buy one or two at a time when budget permits i.e. SPOUSE! after awhile you are set up for b-day party's, anniversary's, tail gates (when the Niners whip on the Chefs) I know I am rambling, but little things you don't think of can and will be a pain in the as# when it comes to crunch time

Out of context slightly, but I did some mean chicken things tonight over apple logs and some charcoal tonight, wet brined, (my favorite for chicken pieces) smoked until 165-170...Beautiful thing man

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Pics or it didn't happen...

Maybe this isn't the tack you wanted to take, but...I've taken to buying and building additional smokers to accommodate cooking for such parties! Two WSM 22's and a Converted Commercial Dryer to smoker (plus my charcoal grill) are the current inventory. When I needed more, I borrowed this pit from a friend! It's got 8 feet by 40 inches of cooking space. Lots of businesses and churches have big cookers - maybe you can make a friend and borrow one?

When I use this one, I try to make an improvement on it (redid the trailer lights the first time I borrowed it) before I bring it back.

Have fun. and remember to use tinyurl.com/amazingribs when you buy your additional smoker!

paul Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7431.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	16611
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis