Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

I Got to Pay it Forward! Woohoo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thunder77
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Halethorpe, MD
    • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

I Got to Pay it Forward! Woohoo!

So a few days a go I am in my local Giant, and of course I drift over to the meat section, to check on the Angus steaks. A young man is there perusing the pork. After a moment he says, "Hey can you help me out? " I had a momentary uncharitable thought about panhandling in the grocery store. Then I said, " I will if I can." He asks me, " Do you know the best choice for pulled pork?" Well, my eyes lit up, and I said "absolutely!" I led him over to the Boston Butts ( which were on sale!) and I told him that was the absolute best cut they had for pulled pork. I proceeded to explain at length, and even threw in a plug for Amazing Ribs. I saw his eyes beginning to glaze over, and he started shuffling his feet, so I figured I better not overload him any more. But it was really nice to be able to share some of the vast store of knowledge I have gained from this forum, and from AR in general.
    Last edited by Thunder77; March 23, 2016, 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
  • MagWarrior
    Club Member
    • Mar 2016

Pass it on!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      Charter Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Winchester TN
      • Hardware
        Blackstone 36” Griddle.
        Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
        Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
        DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
        Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
        Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
        GrillGrates.
        Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
        ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
        KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
        Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
        SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
        MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Well done! I also tend to give way too much information about Q.

Comment

• David Parrish
        Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
        • May 2014
        • Charlotte, NC

Always great to pass it on!

Comment

• BigBear
          Former Member
          • Sep 2015
          • Dallas-Ft. Worth

Great story jgjeske1 ! I've had this same experience twice at Costco. Always fun to help the clueless and point them to AmazingRibs.com.

Comment

• FireMan
            Charter Member
            • Jul 2015
            • Bottom of Winnebago

Had something similar happen in my world. My wife & I were shopping in the meat section, looking over chicken & yes, some Boston butts that were on sale. A very nice lady who I see,who waits on me at a local c-store, walked thru. We greeted & I introduced my wife & then she Popped the Question, for she was holding a small packet of country ribs that she wanted to cook for her son. "Should I boil these in vinegar, someone told me it would be good to do"? The nerd that I am, the first thing out of my mouth was, if you do that the terrorists win! She looked at me with the blankest Huh I think I may have ever seen. I then coached her into a simple prep & she went on her way. A couple of days later I saw her, & she said the ribs came out wonderfully & got even a little extra help when she checked AR. It is Amazing!
            Last edited by FireMan; March 23, 2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• CurlingDog
            Charter Member
            • Sep 2014
            • Port Washington, WI
            • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
              gorilla gloves, bear paws

wise advise i once received after 'stepping on a soap box' ... nobody cares what you know until they know that you care.

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm putting that one in my "favorite quotes" CurlingDog!
          • PappyBBQ
            Charter Member
            • May 2015
            • Los Angeles
            • Equipment:
              Brinkman Gas/Charcoal duo with offset firebox
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick Remote Temperature Gizmo with Pit and meat probes
              Thermopen Instant thermo

Love it when this happens! I've pointed lots of people to this site. I've had folks that had talked to me weeks earlier in Costco come up, reintroduce themselves and thank me again for my advice and for pointing them here. Folks complement me on my BBQ and ask how I learned, I point them here.

Comment

• mayapoppa
              mayapoppa commented
              Editing a comment
              "Folks complement me on my BBQ..." that may be the wisest typo I've ever seen.
          • Harry
            Charter Member
            • Jun 2015
            • Wash DC & environs
            • Weber One-Touch Platinum (the discontinued 4-legged, dome hole in the middle model plus a Smokenator when smoking); ThermoWorks TW 3628 & Kintrex IRT 0421 for briskets & other long cooks; Taylor Weekend Warrior (for the lanyard, not the cooktemps) & several ThermoPens for all others. I fully embrace the Minion Method and use Kingsford classic briquettes & Cowboy hardwood charcoal exclusively. Dry woodchips, of course. Beer - Devils Backbone Vienna Lager; bourbon - ALL but Bonded is preferred.

LOL. Great catch, mayapoppa. Compliment/complement - works either way.

Comment

• Mosca
              Charter Member
              • Oct 2014
              • PA
              • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

There is actually a pay it forward topic at the Egghead forum. My cast iron charcoal grate broke, and someone had offered one a day or two earlier; they sent it to me in the mail. So, I have a ceramic half moon baking stone that I've never used. I put it out there, and just yesterday mailed it off to a member.

Paying it forward feels good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}