Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labor Day Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day Ribs

Cooked baby backs yesterday and for some reason, despite maintaining a temp that rarely dropped below 220-225 (per my Maverick), they took FOREVER--almost six hours. Out of frustration I crutched them at 5 hrs for 30 minutes and then let them tighten up for another 30 minutes or so. I think four half-slabs crammed onto half the cooking grate created an issue. Whatever.

When all was said and done, they turned out pretty good. Just the right texture and tenderness (tugged cleanly off, not falling off) and the flavor was satisfactory. I did two slabs sweet with agave and tiger sauce, and two dry.

I was chided for not provided pics the last time I cooked so here are a few.

I think that last picture really tells the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoscrip View Post
      I think that last picture really tells the story.

Agreed, like a pile of happy faces.

Comment

Ha. It does look like smiley faces huh.

Say, do you guys ever have ribs stall almost as bad as butt? I don't mean in the literal case, I'm not keeping internal temp on my ribs, but I have the worst luck with ribs.

Comment

My ribs are normal, my butts are like kids doing something bad, when you're looking nothing is happening, and then all at once BAM we're done.

Comment

PMA, I haven't had the problems you are having. My last two slabs were completely done in three hours. My temps were cycling between 220-240*F. my gasser is a real rascal to get a steady temp out of.

Comment

I wouldn't call 6 hrs forever at all. I regularly go 5-6 hrs. I've even gone 8 on some thick ones. In my early days of doing ribs I had some rib cooks go 12 hrs, but that was mostly while I was learning what to do and what not to do (before AR). My buddies loved the thick bark on them but me not so much. I find 5-6 hrs is best for me.

Comment

My last slabs of BBs were 3 1/2 hours. Had 3 slabs (8.2 lbs total), dry rubbed but sweet, halved to fit in my GOSM and split between 3 grates. Like Marauder, I have had trouble of late getting a steady temp with gas and it cycled between 225-250, with one dip to 212 (I was shooting for 235ish). I do them meat side up for 2 hours, then flip them for 30 minutes, then wrap them for the last hour (I think I got this from Ray Lampe) with a little hard apple cider. Done by the toothpick test. They were good fresh out of the smoke and almost as good even nuked after being frozen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis