Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Every SINGLE time.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karon Adams
    Charter Member
    • Feb 2015
    • Chattanooga TN
    • Karon Adams
      Consort of the Flame
      Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
      Big Poppa's Drum conversion
      Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
      Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
      Pit IQ blower

Every SINGLE time.....

Every time I take something off the smoker, especially when I am following meathead's advice/recipes, I think, "THIS is heaven. it just doesn't GET any better... I can die a happy woman..." and THEN, I cook again and it just keeps getting better.... and better.... and better....

My personal favorite is bacon. now, understand, I have ALWAYS loved bacon and the close relative, Streak o lean. When I was a kidlet, my mother and grandmother were both meat wrappers for my uncle who's son now operates THE best butcher shop in ChattaVegas. My mom used to bring home the Streak O lean because it was less expensive than bacon. that was fine with me because I LOVED the meaty saltiness of it. we have already found out that I am medically Hyponatremic which is why I have always craved salty, all the way back to a 4 year old, sneaking out to taste the cow's salt lick. I was a kid, what did I know from Cows licking a block?

anyway, my mother discovered the microwave bacon cooker. those things where you stand the strips up and zap? well, that was how I made my streak slices (we weren't allowed to use the stove when parents weren't home) a few slices of that on white bread with miracle whip? oh, I was in heaven! the salty meat, the sweat, creaminess of the miracle whip (as opposed to the lemony, slightly sour of real mayo) and the soft, melting into the grease white bread. oh, MAN, it didn't get much better for me!

but now? now, I make my own bacon, thanks to this site and meathead and all his other contributors. we have been keeping bacon in process since I made the first batch. I have bacon nearly daily. but, I did notice that the longer the cure, the better the final result. this time, it was taken to the extreme. we had a batch on the cure, put up on the 16th of Jan. on the 30th, I was carted off. and 18 pounds of pork belly has been in the fridge on the cure since. today, we did 6 pounds and it was the MOST unbelievably delicious bacon I have ever had. with home made bacon, even the fat is delicious!

the best part? it's ALWAYS better after the meat has refrigerated over night and the meat and fats and collagens have had a chance to set up, then sliced and fried the next day. I cannot wait til breakfast!!

Thanks again to Meathead and everyone on this site. I consider each one of you a friend though I have never met any in person. after getting to know you guys, I really don't know what I'd do without any of you!!
  • Huskee
    Administrator
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Nice post Karon! I have yet to try bacon, I really need to order a belly.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never done bacon either.🤔 I really don't know why I've never tried it but NOW I think I will.👍

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead try some pork belly from costco!
  • Karon Adams
    Charter Member
    • Feb 2015
    • Chattanooga TN
    • Karon Adams
      Consort of the Flame
      Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour
      Big Poppa's Drum conversion
      Maverick wireless meat & grill thermometers
      Thermopen Instant Read Thermometer
      Pit IQ blower

I guarantee you'll never eat Hormel again. we might all start a class action lawsuit against them for false advertising!

Comment

• Huskee
      Administrator
      • May 2014
      • central MI, USA
      • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
        • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
        • PBC
        • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
        • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
        • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
        • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
        • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
        • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
        • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
        • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
        • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
        • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
        • (7) Maverick ET-732s
        • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
        • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
        • Thermapen MkII, orange
        • ThermoPop, yellow
        • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
        • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
        • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
        • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
        • Instant Pot 6qt
        • Anova Bluetooth SV
        • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
        • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
        • BBQ Dragon
        • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
        • Weber grill topper
        • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
        • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
        • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
        • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
        • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
        • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
        • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
        • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
        • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
        • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
        Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

I guess it's just because I'm not a big bacon person. Although my wife loves it and she'd probably be all for the endeavor.

Comment

• Willy
        Charter Member
        • Apr 2015
        • High Desert of the Great Southwest

if'n you live near a Costco, check it for pork bellies.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly I don't have any near me I do have a Sam's though, but I haven't yet checked.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee It is IMPOSSIBLE to exist without Costco!!!! LOL

Ours is 80 miles away and it makes a fun trip to the big city every month or so.

Beat the word limit AGAIN!!!
      • David Parrish
        Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
        • May 2014
        • Charlotte, NC

Karon I mad homemade bacon once (Xmas gift bacon cure set and not not using MH's recipe) and it wasn't that good. You've talked me into trying it again and doing it MH's way!

Comment

• DWCowles
          Founding Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Smiths Grove, Ky
          • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

I too haven't done bacon and with my work schedule I don't see it in the future either. Huskee I'm in the same boat as you with not having a Costco nearby. The closest one is about 70-80 miles away.

Comment

• Injun joe
            Club Member
            • Feb 2016

Bacon may be the first recipe I used on this site and it changed my life forever. It was a great experience because we made bacon cheeseburgers with homemade bacon from a hog we butchered and processed ourselves, patties from a moose we killed, butchered, and ground ourselves, and fresh burger veg from the garden. Talk about a game changer! I've since made bacon a few more times and it definitely gets better each time.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
              Club Member
              • Jan 2016
              • Gibsonia, PA (suburban Pittsburgh)
              • Lang Riley

Suburban Pittsburgh, PA

22.5" Copper Weber Original Kettle Premium (2016)
                Slow n Sear
                Grill Grates
                Drip n Griddle

Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault.

Cheap Blue Ember 3 burner gas grill.

ET-732
                Thermopen

Originally posted by Injun joe View Post
              Bacon may be the first recipe I used on this site and it changed my life forever. It was a great experience because we made bacon cheeseburgers with homemade bacon from a hog we butchered and processed ourselves, patties from a moose we killed, butchered, and ground ourselves, and fresh burger veg from the garden. Talk about a game changer! I've since made bacon a few more times and it definitely gets better each time.
              Don't take this the wrong way but, I think I love you. This is what I strive to be. Real food at its finest! Congratulations!

Comment

• PappyBBQ
                Charter Member
                • May 2015
                • Los Angeles
                • Equipment:
                  Brinkman Gas/Charcoal duo with offset firebox
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  Maverick Remote Temperature Gizmo with Pit and meat probes
                  Thermopen Instant thermo

Ok. I'm inspired to give this a try. The curing space in my fridge is clear now after St. Patties day brisket cure and the follow on cure for pastrami. I love bacon and have always wanted to make my own. I'm going to prowl the local Costco.

Comment

• Harry
                  Charter Member
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Wash DC & environs
                  • Weber One-Touch Platinum (the discontinued 4-legged, dome hole in the middle model plus a Smokenator when smoking); ThermoWorks TW 3628 & Kintrex IRT 0421 for briskets & other long cooks; Taylor Weekend Warrior (for the lanyard, not the cooktemps) & several ThermoPens for all others. I fully embrace the Minion Method and use Kingsford classic briquettes & Cowboy hardwood charcoal exclusively. Dry woodchips, of course. Beer - Devils Backbone Vienna Lager; bourbon - ALL but Bonded is preferred.

I am spoiled. In addition to a world-class butcher shop (Hi, Pam) selling Iberico de Bellota, prime aged beef, local lamb, and local pork cut to order, etc., being less than 1/8 mile away, we have a Dutch market near us with purveyors of beef and pork from Pennsylvania (some uncured, some organic, some just deliciously ordinary). There is no way I can compete with them. Indeed, we schedule dental appointments so we'll be able to hit the Dutch market (open only Thurs-Sat) for (five kinds of) bacon and sausage. HOWEVER, reading this thread has my mouth watering. Maybe I'll buy some pork belly the next time I see the dentist. They sell that, too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}