Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Baby Back Ribs 1-2-1 Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc Smoke J.Y.D.
    Former Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Louisville, KY

Baby Back Ribs 1-2-1 Method

Upon removing the foil after the fourth hour of cooking, is it recommended to completely remove it, or open the foil at the top and let the ribs cook the last hour in the juices resident in the bottom of the foil. Thanks in advance for the help!
  • Huskee
    Administrator
    • May 2014
    • central MI, USA
    • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
      • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
      • PBC
      • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
      • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
      • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
      • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
      • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
      • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
      • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
      • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
      • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
      • (7) Maverick ET-732s
      • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
      • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
      • Thermapen MkII, orange
      • ThermoPop, yellow
      • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
      • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
      • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
      • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
      • Instant Pot 6qt
      • Anova Bluetooth SV
      • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
      • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
      • BBQ Dragon
      • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
      • Weber grill topper
      • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
      • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
      • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
      • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
      • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
      • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
      • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
      • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
      • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
      • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
      Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Nick we don't recommend foiling ribs, but if you must I would say remove it completely the last chunk of time it's on the smoker/grill.

Comment

• boftx
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • CharGriller Pro COS
        Oklahoma Joe COS
        Maverick 732 thermometer
        Red Thermapen
        Favorite beer: Scotch

I know I make damn good BBQ cause my 3 dogs have NEVER said no to it. (OTOH, my 13yr old says no to just about everything, except my ribs.)

I'm the oddball in the group. I foil my ribs but only so I can drizzle some butter, molasses and *just a touch* of maple syrup on them. I make the final glaze from the drippings in the foil.

Comment

• jrobertson50
        Former Member
        • Jul 2014

I will foil if i am trying to add some different flavors during the cook. Other than that i have had good luck without the foil.
        When i foil i use a 1 / 1.5 / .5 method. Without i just cook them for about three hours. Until a toothpick can slide right through the meat. I find 4 hours for babys just to much.

To answer your question remove the foil completely to allow the rib to cook the same all around. Don't want a soggy bottom and dry top.

Comment

• Ol' Timer
          Former Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Missouri

I'll have to join boftx in the 8 ball group, I foil for the last hour and remove the foil when I take them out of the smoker.

Comment

• Virginia Dave
            Former Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Forest Virginia

I'll admit it. I foil mine too. I sprinkle some brown sugar on the foil, spray the ribs pretty good with apple juice, then lay them on top of the sugar, meat side down. Not only does that create an awesome glaze on the ribs but I pour what is left in the foil in my baked beans. SOOOOOO good!

Comment

• _John_
              Former Member
              • Jul 2014

Will have to give wrapping a shot, I don't have any issues with mine, but always up for trying new things.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
                Former Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Paris, TN

I did foil up until the time I got the PBC. Now I don't think it's required with that little jewel. They come out extremely moist. If I go back to my Weber or any of my other grills, I will probably use foil or at least experiment with it. Have to be careful on time or they will fall apart using the foil, or at least it's happened to me in the past. I don't use the 3-2-1 method anymore that's for sure. More like 2-1-1.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}