Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From ranch to table Take the tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From ranch to table Take the tour

Check out agribeef.com and watch the from "Ranch to Table" YouTube video. Then click the plant button top of page and tour their impressive Washington plant. Check out the Snake River Farms and Double R Ranch divisions. Order on-line if you like. These folks do an outstanding job just as the folks do here at amazingribs!

Without high quality meat products, all the learning we get here from the best grilling & BBQ experts won't help much.

And who knows, the next steak you grill may have just come from here on the ranch. Enjoy!!

I got Double R Tri-Tip in May. Awesome stuff. Wish I could afford a lot more on that site.

Do y'all have problems with BVD and IBR??
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 1, 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      Was your Tri-Tip Charolais? lol We vaccinate our cows and replacement heifers for both. We run a pretty much closed herd so they are not exposed much and we have them tested. We also Trich test all our bulls even tho it is not required in our area. It is very important to us to keep our herd clean and use the best genetics that is economically feasible. Raising great beef is our top priority. And has been for three generations.

Maybe your Tri-Tip came from one of ours. But the odds are not good. We're a small producer in the big scheme of things.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny you mention that. I found 2, absolutely beautiful briskets at wal-mart that were thick, LOADED with fat, and I joke that it must have been a darn Charolais, and therefore couldn't go into the CAB program.

Those Tri-tip were beautiful.

I know even if you A.I., TB, Bang's, Lepto, BVD, and IBR can still be trasmitted.

lol on the briskets I don't put too much stock in the CAB program. The Angus Association just did a much better marketing job than any of the other breeds. And honestly, without the hide can you tell if meat came from black, red, yellow/white if you had nothing to indicate such?

Yes we do A.I. our heifers and yeah we have to vaccinate for all the other stuff. Right now we're using an Express VL5 and Barvac 8 way and of course law requires a vet to bangs the heifers.

Got a beautiful Tri-Tip in freezer I,m hoping to grill/bbq after a few more practice runs on my grill. I'm such a beginner and I'm still trying to get up nerve to do that damn tuna! lol

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      tri tip is really easy and done right darn good also. what part of the NW are you from ? My son lives in Marysville WA.

What I will give 'em is the fact it has to grade upper Choice. Black Simmental, Black Maine-anjou, whatever, at least it has to grade.

Funny, had they chosen red as the standard color years ago, the black would have been phased out since the red is recessive.

Comment

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      yes I wish everyone could afford upper choice but hope they get as close to it as they can. Of course, most of the 2% prime goes to the fancy restaurants.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I like how Double R sells the Cowboy [something] 2lb Prime ribeye. Great for one of those splurge events like an anniversary dinner.... just might do that, and get a little king crab or some scallops too... (ssh don't tell my wife)

Ontheranch, you work for/at one of these plants?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      They raise some of the cattle that end up at the plant.

Hi Huskee, no, I don't. However, our son does. He holds a masters in Agri-Business and animal nutrition and is one of the top nutritionists in their feeds division. We also sell quality cattle raised here to the company (among others). So I am familiar with the quality of their products.

It was not my intention to do an ad for the company. It was simply to let others know of an on'line site with great products and to let them know where these products come from. Too many today think they are manufactured in a factory!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Cool, Masters. I would have gotten a Masters had I got accepted to Grad school. Slight hang up.

I enjoyed my Nutrition classes as an undergrad.

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, doesn't mean he's any smarter, just better educated. (dam, how do I do the smiley's?) Why don't u try again. You've only got the rest of your life!

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      and would u believe we're having chicken tonight?? hope u inspected this one thoroughly

That's cool. I enjoyed the video & plant slide show. I'm in the mood for a nice Wagyu ribeye filet...I can't make up my mind.

Comment

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      It's almost time for the fall gather here. We'll be at Cow Camp (our little cabin in the mountains) and we could sure use a good camp cook. lol However, Wagyu is way out of the budget!

$16.00 a pound for tri tip, $4.60 to $6.27 a pound for brisket. They are aged,the brisket I could understand but that must be one heck of a good tri tip

Comment

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      yikes!! That's pricey and we're lucky to get 2+ bucks a pound on the hoof

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the price at the Double R Ranch website.

The tri tip is LOADED with intramuscular fat, and you actually get a little more than what they claim they weigh. Lotta fat to trim, but you still come out ahead.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      The shipping was free when I ordered. And it was a special occasion, may be a year or two before we see triangled cut meat again.

As for as the aging on this, I guess they mean wet aged, meaning it stayed in the pack for a few weeks.

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      they probably hang the caucuses for 21 days to age before breaking down or shipping. we do cook tri tip often in this part of the world, very popular at weddings along with chicken. every body cooks it most don't do it well. Went to my wife's cousins wedding a month or so ago, and had tri tip and chicken what a surprise after dinner sought out the cook to shake his hand and tell him what a good job he did with the catering (yes I will do most anything to get away from the dance floor and out by the pit). tri tip cooked perfect rare to medium rare, sliced thin across the grain (makes the best French dip or wet beef sandwich) chicken thighs still juicy and of course samples right off the grill is always good

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      That must be it. Never thought of the carcasses. I know in the big beef plants they have to hang 24-48 hours just to get passed the rigor mortis. And that is 5,000+ per day being slaughtered. Here at the chicken plant, no hanging, just packaging after a 2+ hour cold water bath.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis