Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

What are the hot new trends in BBQ & Grilling & Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Administrator
    • May 2014
    • Chicago area
    • Remember, no rules in the bedroom or kitchen
      Meathead

What are the hot new trends in BBQ & Grilling & Meat?

I am being interviewed by Meatingplace magazine, a magazine and website serving the meat and poultry processing communities in the Americas. They want to discuss trends, what's hot and coming up on the horizon. What do you see trending up?
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Hmmm... For me it is blending Sous Vide with BBQ. My first attempt at it was with a Tri-Tip. I cooked the Tri Tip in the SV bath tub for approximately 24 hours at 131° degrees. Then I fired up the 26" Weber kettle using the Slow n Sear with a full charcoal starter of briquettes. I took the tri tip out of the SV bag and blotted it dry with paper towels and put some beef love on it then put some Memphis Dust on it and seared it just enough to give it color. Living in Tri Tip country I've grilled 100's of them and I believe that was the best Tri Tip I've ever eaten, ever. It was so good I really believe that SV first and then sear on the grill will be how I do Tri Tip's from now on.
    Attached Files

Comment

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Now THAT is some good lookin' tri-tip brother!!

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      sous vide 'bathtub'. hmmm. I swear, if I was able to sit that low, I might just find a way to put my circulator on the tub and take a long soak, myself! I bet that would help my back!

• Baker Dan
      Baker Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead that just plain looks fabulous!
  • HorseDoctor
    Charter Member
    • Sep 2014
    • Central Iowa

Agree. The use of sous vide in conjunction with searing/grilling or smoking seems to be a current trend.

Comment

• Craigar
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Papillion, NE
      • * - Weber 26.75" OTG
        * - Weber 22.5" Premium cloaked in Crimson
        * - Slow 'N Sear
        * - Smoke E-Z - 26.75" (The Grain Silo)
        * - Lodge Sportsman Grill
        * - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
        * - Thermoworks ThermoPop
        * - Thermoworks Dot
        * - iGrill2 - 4 probes
        * - Favorite Beer - the cold one in my hand (craft beers of all flavors; haven't had a blue yummy in over 6 years) my tastes change with the season so it is difficult to name just a couple. However, I will occasionally have a vanilla porter float in the summer (Empyrean Vanilla Porter w/a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream) as I usually drink stouts & porters in the colder months, pale ales & IPAs in the warmer months. I have to add Not Your Father's Root Beer to beers I use for floats.
        * - Booze - I don't really have a favorite, but lean towards single malt Scotch & Irish whiskey
        * - Wines - Reds: mainly the heavy stuff mixed in with the occasional pinot noir ( I have yet to meet a malbec I didn't like); Whites: German & Nebraska (hey, I have to support the home team)
        * - Favorite Spice outlets - Frisco Spices in LaVista, NE (the local butcher supply shop); Volcanic Peppers in Bellevue, NE
        * - Current butchers: Just Good Meats & Fareway Foods

In my neck of the woods it is the popularity of BBQ and grilling themselves. The stores are now carrying charcoal all year long. Not too long ago once the back-to-school sales were over you couldn't find a bag of charcoal to save your soul. We now have a store (HelpingUBarbecue) that is solely dedicated to grilling and smoking. So with that being said, the popularity of smoking and grilling is trending upwards.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        Club Member
        • Sep 2015
        • Colorado
        • > Weber Genesis EP-330
          > Grilla Grills Original Grilla (OG) pellet smoker
          > Pit Barrel Cooker (gone to a new home)
          > WeberQ 2000 (on "loan" to a relative)
          > Old Smokey Electric (for chickens mostly - when it's too nasty out
          to fiddle with a more capable cooker)
          > Luhr Jensen Little Chief Electric - Top Loader circa 1990 (smoked fish & jerky)
          > Thermoworks Smoke
          > 3 Thermoworks Chef Alarms
          > Thermoworks Thermapen
          > Thermoworks IR-GUN-S
          > Anova sous vide circulator
          > Searzall torch
          > BBQ Guru Rib Ring

Control & automation ... accuracy and precision becoming widespread, especially among home/hobbyist "pit masters". Witness the proliferation of temp controllers and devices like the SnS.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          • Jun 2014
          • East Texas
          • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
            Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
            Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
            Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
            Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
            Weber Smokey Joe Gold
            Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
            Vortex
            Maverick ET-732 White
            Maverick ET-732 Copper
            2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
            Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
            Thermoworks Timestick
            Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
            B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
            B & B Pellets

Agree with Mbmorgan with respect to PID controllers and Breadhead pointing to sous vide, especially tri-tip, I won't have it any other way.

Both point to more set it and forget cooking.....to an extent. The Auber will be cooking a brisket tonight using the SnS.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            • Jul 2014
            • Pellet Fired Jambo, T1000 Woodmaster, FEC100, MAK 2 star, Yoder 640, Backwoods Pellet Chef, 14" & 22" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Stoven, Hot Box Grill, Hasty Bake Portable

I think the biggest "trend" is the branding of specific breeds (Beef - Hereford, Angus, Waygu, Pork - Duroc, Berkshire) and specific processing methods in chicken, like the chilled air processing of Smart Chicken. And related to that, the increasing availability of name-brand meats online.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              • Jul 2014
              • Pellet Fired Jambo, T1000 Woodmaster, FEC100, MAK 2 star, Yoder 640, Backwoods Pellet Chef, 14" & 22" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Stoven, Hot Box Grill, Hasty Bake Portable

It's not new, but pellet-fired cookers are the fastest growing type of cooker out there -- AND, nobody is tracking the growth of the market, not even HPBA.

Comment

• learning pellets
                learning pellets commented
                Editing a comment
                While everyone come to Cincinnati years later, we are finally seeing a lot of pellet heads.
            • Skip
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Blue Earth, Minnesota
              • LSG Adjustable Grill/Smoker, MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Kettle with SnS, Weber Gasser, Pit Barrel Cooker, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

In about 2005 I had seen a pellet grill at a customer's home and said to myself "I need one of these". At that time I had to look hard to find where to buy one. I finally found a place to get a Traeger Texas Style. It seems that within a few years several different kinds where available and getting much more high tech. Same thing with all sorts of different styles of cookers, kamado, charcoal, gas, wood, etc are sold all over the place. Some people are more passionate about cooking outdoors than others but there is no question that it is no longer just hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill. To me the passion for ALL OF THIS type of cooking is growing rapidly.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                Charter Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

I wouldn't necessarily call it a hot trend, but I think largely due to the Food Channel regional BBQ styles are integrated across the country. BBQ joints are offering things they never offered before, grocers are carrying multiple regional BBQ sauces and products - yellow mustard based sauces in Texas and Louisana when the were almost exclusive to Georgia and South Carolina.

Comment

• CurlingDog
                  Charter Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Port Washington, WI
                  • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
                    gorilla gloves, bear paws

the increase in options for monitoring temp.. that market is exploding. Witness the recent start up of "the Meater" ... a remote, wireless leave in thermo that used Kickstarter to garner 9,737 backers that pledged $1,251,486 to help bring this project to life.

Comment

• billg71
                    Charter Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Acworth, GA
                    • Komodo Kamado 22" Supreme
                      PK Grill
                      Weber Genesis S-330
                      Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center
                      Weber Go Anywhere charcoal portable(my oldest Weber)
                      Maverick 732
                      Tappecue
                      ThermaChef
                      ThermaWorks Smoke
                      Thermapens

At the risk of violating forum rules, I'll say the use of organic/natural/humanely raised meats. Look at the popularity of SRF and similar products, these animals weren't raised in the typical factory hog warehouses or beef COFAs. But the small producers seem somehow to stay in business and even thrive.

Ducking and covering,

Bill
                    Last edited by billg71; March 4, 2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      they mostly stay in business because that kind of farming can demand higher prices. if they had to compete they wouldn't be able to do so. so long as the economy holds, this will be a trend

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      depending on politics (and I will say thins) the main cause of factory farming is the death tax forcing families off farms. if that goes away, I think we see LOTS more family run farms able to compete more.

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Governments are also regulating small time farmers out of the market. Karon Adams In many instances, they simply can't afford the governments view of what animal farming should be.
                  • EubieQ
                    Club Member
                    • Feb 2016
                    • Cincinnati, OH a.k.a. Porkopolis
                    • Cookers:
                      BGE-XL
                      WSM-22"
                      WSM-18"
                      Weber Kettle-22"
                      DCS-36 (Gasser)
                      Brinkman smoker, circa 1989...R.I.P.

Favorite Beer:
                      -A nice, crisp IPA
                      -Any craft brew I have yet to try

Agree with the comments here. A dozen or so years ago, I had to go to a BBQ specialty shop (or online) to get smoking wood other than hickory & mesquite (remember, I'm north of the M-D line). Today, I can go into my local Home Depot and get apple, cherry, pecan, alder, probably more. And the only smoker available was the WSM original and maybe a single-hole-in-the-bottom Brinkman. The price points of outdoor cookers today almost rival their indoor counterparts. BBQ sauce at the grocery used to be contained in about a 3x3 shelf space and about 3 brands. Now it's half an aisle. Craft beer, craft whiskey, craft cookers, craft meat...everything seems to getting more specialized, more niche.

And then there's tech. When I purchased my Maverick 'Remote Check' ET-7 so many moons ago, I couldn't imagine how much more convenient temperature management could be. But with modern electronics engineers able to build a Linux computer on a small circuit board for $5 (Pi zero), technology is finding it's way into an untapped markets and swinging the BBQ pendulum from pit master art to backyard science (Digi-Q, KBQ, and so on...). Thermo's connected to my phone via bluetooth. I'm sure someone has one ready for market that will use my home Wifi to send me a txt when my brisket has hit 201 and the moisture content of my bark is a perfect 8.5%, and the fire has been reduced to a nice 170 while I'm out replenishing my craft beer...not that I'm complaining (I'm an IT guy).

Comment

• ribeyeguy
                      Charter Member
                      • Jun 2015
                      • S. E. Wisconsin
                      • Weber Platinum Performer, 18"WSM, Smokenator, Slow 'n Sear.

There's always new gadgetry but setting that aside I'd say it's the trend towards better, higher grade cuts of meat. Companies like Snake River, Lone Mountain, etc. have literally exploded recently. Outdoor cooking has become more than simply burgers and dogs, it's trending more towards a culinary experience.

There's probably not a one of us here that doesn't love throwing on a grill full of burgers for a large get together but at the same time, we live for that Prime, Wagyu or Kobe cut that we labor over for hours on end to turn it into something special. A few years ago that was unheard of, today it's commonplace.

Comment

• Mosca
                        Charter Member
                        • Oct 2014
                        • PA
                        • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

Originally posted by billg71 View Post
                        At the risk of violating forum rules, I'll say the use of organic/natural/humanely raised meats. Look at the popularity of SRF and similar products, these animals weren't raised in the typical factory hog warehouses or beef COFAs. But the small producers seem somehow to stay in business and even thrive.

Ducking and covering,

Bill
                        I don't think that it's a violation to say that people are willing to pay more for something that tastes better!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}