Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I season my new kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I season my new kettle?

Got my Performer Silver yesterday and put it together. First question, do I need to season it? Clean it, oil it, throw in some coals and wood, hot for 30 minutes? Basic MH instructions, just didn't know if it applied to my kettle.

Thanks

Seasoning a new grill or smoker

When you get a new grill or smoker, in the cooking chamber there is often dust, grease, oil, metal shavings, or cardboard dust from the manufacturing and shipping process. The goal of seasoning a new grill is to remove all traces of contaminants, seal the pores, and bake the paint.
    Begin by wiping down all surfaces with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. Let it dry and then spray a little vegetable oil on everything inside the cooking chamber. Fire it up, toss in some wood, say eight ounces or so, and get it as hot as you can for about 30 minutes with all the vents open so anything left from the factory or shipping will burn.
    This will start coating the sides with carbon and smoke that will cause condensation to drip off when you are cooking. You can then start cooking while the oven is hot, or let it cool and cook later.

Comment

Harry Soo has a very detailed process for seasoning a new Weber Smokey Mountain. It might be worth checking out for your Weber Kettle.

Comment

Thanks. I followed MH's seasoning instructions: wiped it clean, sprayed it with oil, lit up some charcoal in the chimney (about 2/3), dumped them in with some oak pieces and let it burn for about 30 minutes with both vents open. My Maverick hit about 490, the built-in thermometer about 50 degrees hotter. Going to do some beef kebabs on it tonight just to break it in on some direct cooking. Think I'll do a pork shoulder I've got on it tomorrow.

Comment

I haphazardly wiped the interior of mine and dumped in a couple dozen glowing briquettes. I let it go about twenty minutes and then tossed the food in. I didn't die. This was before I understood the better way of low & slow with burgers too, otherwise I'd have waited until the coals died down more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis