Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed 1st attempt at not wrapping butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    replied
    Yeah I'd start at 4 or 5am next time you wanna try not wrapping. The thing is you can ALWAYS hold a butt or a brisket in a cambro or 170* oven, wrapped, until it's dinner time. If it gets done at noon your pork butt will still be piping hot and pullable at 5pm if held properly.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Man that thing stalled and stalled until more than 9 hours later I had to pull it under duress from the wife and daughter who had already mowed through every chip bag in the pantry.
    I am freaking rolling!!!! Too funny!!!

Next time just put the butt cooking and go surfing

FYI- I once cooked an 11.5 and 9.5 butt in the PBC without wrapping and they got done in under 10 hours. I'm thinking the combo of their humidity output made that thing cook like an electric cooker.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 31, 2014, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    replied
    I wrap but also put back on the grill to firm the bark back up a bit. Win win

Leave a comment:

• SurfsUp
    commented on 's reply
    Yea the last one I did where I wrapped was absolutely delicious - and only took 7 hours. I guess the 2 techniques deliver 2 different products in the end. I am still going to make at least one more attempt at not wrapping

• SurfsUp
    replied
    19 hours, wow. That wasn't on the PBC I guess. After 19 hours I suspect that thing looked like a meteorite!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Wrap that sucker! I stayed up all night a few months ago to try one without wrapping, just wasn't worth it, the crust was really dry and crunchy which isn't my thing. I didn't inject that one, but it was no where near as juicy as my wrapped ones which never need injection.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    It would have been more tender and juicy. I smoked a 7 lb butt 19 hours yesterday. That thing was phenomenal. All the fat, collagen, etc had melted into the meat. I started it after 10 PM Friday night and we ate around 6:30 PM the next day. I let it rest in a faux cambro for 30 minutes before eating. To my embarrassment, I forgot to take pics of the pulled product. We had guests and things were hectic with kids running around (that's my excuse anyway).

Leave a comment:

• SurfsUp
    started a topic Failed 1st attempt at not wrapping butt

Failed 1st attempt at not wrapping butt

Well I set out to do a butt yesterday without wrapping. Lesson #1 you better get that thing on before 11:15 Man that thing stalled and stalled until more than 9 hours later I had to pull it under duress from the wife and daughter who had already mowed through every chip bag in the pantry. The internal temp where I had the probe was still around 182. Interesting though was that only that middle section wasn't at temperature. The other sections if you will were at temp. The UNfinished product was still pretty good but it definitely wasn't as moist as my previously wrapped butt but the bark was much better. Left me wondering if it had to go another hour or 2 if it would have been too dry.
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis