Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Labor Day pork butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labor Day pork butt

Sometimes you get a piece of pork that you just know is gonna be something special.

That's what I thought when my wife brought this one home from the store. Dry-brined for about 18hrs before putting it in the smoker at 6AM this morning. It hit the stall at 171. That was when I put it in the foil after drizzling some butter, honey (run out of molasses) and a touch of maple syrup on it. Even after the foil it still took another 2 hours before the temp started to climb again. Took it off at 202. It took less than 5min to pull using just normal forks.

I used a little over half of the drippings to make a sauce (just added some vinegar, red pepper and chili powder so it was definitely a thin, Carolina style.)

The bone came out completely clean so I knew I had it right.

​

NICE!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBA.png
Views:	31
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	14118

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Good job boftx, I like the sound of butter honey and syrup on the pork. By the way your medal is a lot bigger than the one I got. I think PB likes your cooks better than mine.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I figured PB wanted to be sure it was big enough that even my old eyes could see it.

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
    Good job boftx, I like the sound of butter honey and syrup on the pork. By the way your medal is a lot bigger than the one I got. I think PB likes your cooks better than mine.

Nah I just finally got the badge on my desktop and can upload it now vs using the photo icon (I no like so much that photo icon). I suppose the different sizes could be used to mean something though. That last badge would need some real... real.... REAL good barbecue.

Views:	40
ID:	14154

Views:	37
ID:	14155

Views:	32
ID:	14156

Views:	28
ID:	14157

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy RED GIANT Seal of approval!

WTG Bo! NICE

Comment

Man that looks perfect!

Comment

hat do look like some real tasty Q just put mine on at 7:10 pacific time.

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          it took about 91/2 hrs., was finished at 4:40. I made homemade buttermilk sandwich rolls, AR deli slaw with green apples and my wife made a pot of Portuguese beans with a lot of bacon and Linguica and it was very good and very proud of wares thank you for asking and how was yours?

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Still munching on it, and will have pork enchiladas tomorrow.

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          do love me some enchiladas

I won't swear to it, but the leftovers we had for lunch today might have been even better. We'll have even more for supper tonight, and the rest will go into enchiladas tomorrow. You just gotta love pulled pork for feeding the family for a few days (assuming you can keep the dogs out of the fridge.)

Comment

That last pic shows why you knew it was going to be good.

I prefer pulled pork leftovers.

Comment

This is one pan out of three (total of six butts) that I did Saturday on the Lang for our family reunion. I would have taken more pictures but I didn't want to get the camera in the rain.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              That works!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis