Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

How a Billionaire cooks the 36 hour hamburger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breadhead
    Banned Former Member
    • Jul 2014

How a Billionaire cooks the 36 hour hamburger...

This is what the Modernist Cuisine claims to be the ultimate hamburger.😋 It's something only a billionaire could afford to hire highly skilled Chefs to come up with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_TVznOwK8
  • Craigar
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Papillion, NE
    • * - Weber 26.75" OTG
      * - Weber 22.5" Premium cloaked in Crimson
      * - Slow 'N Sear
      * - Smoke E-Z - 26.75" (The Grain Silo)
      * - Lodge Sportsman Grill
      * - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
      * - Thermoworks ThermoPop
      * - Thermoworks Dot
      * - iGrill2 - 4 probes
      * - Favorite Beer - the cold one in my hand (craft beers of all flavors; haven't had a blue yummy in over 6 years) my tastes change with the season so it is difficult to name just a couple. However, I will occasionally have a vanilla porter float in the summer (Empyrean Vanilla Porter w/a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream) as I usually drink stouts & porters in the colder months, pale ales & IPAs in the warmer months. I have to add Not Your Father's Root Beer to beers I use for floats.
      * - Booze - I don't really have a favorite, but lean towards single malt Scotch & Irish whiskey
      * - Wines - Reds: mainly the heavy stuff mixed in with the occasional pinot noir ( I have yet to meet a malbec I didn't like); Whites: German & Nebraska (hey, I have to support the home team)
      * - Favorite Spice outlets - Frisco Spices in LaVista, NE (the local butcher supply shop); Volcanic Peppers in Bellevue, NE
      * - Current butchers: Just Good Meats & Fareway Foods

Breadhead It might just be me, but I can't get your link to work.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Try it now. I relinked it.😎
  • Jon Solberg
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Whos going to be the first to cryo fry?

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny...

Sous Vide has caught on pretty quick in the Pit. Who knows maybe cryo frying will catch on too.👍

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it did. Sad but true. Well at least its low and slow ; )
  • Craigar
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Papillion, NE
    • * - Weber 26.75" OTG
      * - Weber 22.5" Premium cloaked in Crimson
      * - Slow 'N Sear
      * - Smoke E-Z - 26.75" (The Grain Silo)
      * - Lodge Sportsman Grill
      * - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
      * - Thermoworks ThermoPop
      * - Thermoworks Dot
      * - iGrill2 - 4 probes
      * - Favorite Beer - the cold one in my hand (craft beers of all flavors; haven't had a blue yummy in over 6 years) my tastes change with the season so it is difficult to name just a couple. However, I will occasionally have a vanilla porter float in the summer (Empyrean Vanilla Porter w/a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream) as I usually drink stouts & porters in the colder months, pale ales & IPAs in the warmer months. I have to add Not Your Father's Root Beer to beers I use for floats.
      * - Booze - I don't really have a favorite, but lean towards single malt Scotch & Irish whiskey
      * - Wines - Reds: mainly the heavy stuff mixed in with the occasional pinot noir ( I have yet to meet a malbec I didn't like); Whites: German & Nebraska (hey, I have to support the home team)
      * - Favorite Spice outlets - Frisco Spices in LaVista, NE (the local butcher supply shop); Volcanic Peppers in Bellevue, NE
      * - Current butchers: Just Good Meats & Fareway Foods

Hmm...36 hours for a hamburger brings on a whole new meaning for fast food. However, it does sound interesting. Now where did I put my vat of liquid nitrogen...

Comment

• ribeyeguy
      Charter Member
      • Jun 2015
      • S. E. Wisconsin
      • Weber Platinum Performer, 18"WSM, Smokenator, Slow 'n Sear.

I'll stick with tossing them on the grill.

Comment

• DWCowles
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Smiths Grove, Ky
        • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

I'm not waiting on a cheeseburger for 36 hrs

Comment

• Breadhead
          Banned Former Member
          • Jul 2014

Modernist Cuisine is all about pushing the edge of the culinary arts.

The vast majority of those that read the Modernist Cuisine books for the first time will not understand them. After I received the books as a gift I learned the Bakers Percentage formula of weighing the content of a recipe because of my Bread addition. Then and only then did the books start making sense to me.

There is lots of ingredients and equipment the books recommend with great detail that none of us have ever heard of like cryo frying and liquid nitrogen for cooking. However they do go into great detail to explain why this will make your finished product taste better... Much like Meathead has taught us how and why his techniques & ingredients will make our BBQ & grilling taste better.

I've owned the books for about 4 or 5 years. The first time I thumbed through the section about Sous Vide cooking I thought... These people are crazy as hell and so far out in left field I just kept thumbing to the next chapter. Now... I own 2 Sous Vide circulator's.👌

There's lots of information in those books that seem more strange than a 36 hour hamburger. Who knows maybe someday I'll try those too.🤔

Who knew you could make the PERFECT poached egg inside the shell. Cook it then crack the shell and out comes the PERFECT poached egg.😆 The first time I read that I thought these guys are crazy as hell... And thumbed to the next page.😎
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Breadhead; February 11, 2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
            Rfuilrez commented
            Editing a comment
            Wouldn't that technically be soft boiled eggs?
        • Yno
          Yno
          Former Member
          • May 2015
          • Do you know the way to San Jose?

I don't think we will see that at McD's any time soon. One of the things that is great when made using liquid nitrogen is ice cream. It is quicker by far than traditional methods, makes a great display in a restaurant, and the results are actually better, because the quick freezing keeps the ice crystals tiny. I don't think I will be doing any cryo-frying though.

Comment

• BigBear
            Former Member
            • Sep 2015
            • Dallas-Ft. Worth

Maybe I'd eat less if it took me this long to prepare my food! The book series looks very interesting.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Banned Former Member
              • Jul 2014

Rfuilrez ...

All poached eggs are created in hot water so your question/statement would be correct.

Traditionally you broke the shell into slow boiling water and the whites poached in the water cooking faster than the yolk.

Sous Vide style you leave the egg whole and it cooks the whites & yolk, inside the shell, at the same time at a lower temperature... 167° for 13 to 15 minutes depending on the end result you want.

I don't know where the term poached originated but we all know what a nicely done poached egg is suppose to look like.

Doing them out of the shell is much more time consuming and difficult than doing a dozen eggs all at the same time Sous Vide style.😆

Comment

• DWCowles
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Smiths Grove, Ky
                • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

What I want to know which one come first "the chicken or the egg"?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which came first, "the cow or the calf?"

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The egg is produced inside the chicken so... It's obvious to me the chicken came first.😎

But then again the chicken comes from the egg... Hmmm

Now we have a conundrum.😡

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jerod Broussard the bull.
              • Jon Solberg
                Former Member
                • Jul 2014

The bird and the egg must have always existed

Aristotle

(paraphrased)

Comment

• CurlingDog
                  Charter Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • Port Washington, WI
                  • Traeger Jr Elite, Modern Home Products TJK gasser,Char-Broil 26" Round Charcoal Grill CBRMH-2600/S, Weber Smokey Joe, small portable POS charcoal grill, 13.25" GrillGrates, Thermopen, Maverick ET-732, Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer
                    gorilla gloves, bear paws

I think it was the egg...

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that's funny!😆

• risawyer
                    risawyer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a race. Looks like the egg won again!!

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}