Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olive Oil vs. Peanut Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olive Oil vs. Peanut Oil

I have always used olive oil with my rubs to help break down the spices. I see some of you use peanut oil. Is there a taste difference between the two or does any type of oil impact the final taste on meats?

Not sure but I got some natural unrefined stuff when I was younger and it smoked like a train, Wikipedia says smoke point on unrefined is 320 vs 450 for refined, so if you get it make sure you choose refined!!

Comment

I fry sometimes with peanut oil and I has a faint nutty flavor that is really good. For your rubs I do not think you will get any benefits from using peanut oil. I use just plain vegetable oil when I am applying a rub. Of course maybe my taste buds are not as sensitive as they use to be.

Meathead says:
      Mustard or oil under the rub?

You can put a rub right on bare meat, or you can help it stick by moistening the meat with a little water, a slather of mustard or ketchup, or you can use cooking oil. The best we can hope for is that the spices and herbs will melt a bit, make a nice flavorful slurry that will become a major part of the desireable flavorful loveable bark when it is heated and dries out.
      My experience that they make little or no difference in the final outcome. The mustard fanatics are, well fanatic. But mustard is water, vinegar, and maybe white wine (all mostly water) with mustard powder mixed in. The amount of mustard powder is so small that by the time the water steams off and drips away, the mustard powder remaining is miniscule. If you want a mustard flavor, you will do much better by simply sprinkling it on the meat.
      Oil fanatics are just as fanatic. They think the spices, which are mostly oil soluble not water soluble, will be dissolved and penetrate the meat deeper. They forget that oil and water don't mix. The oil is not going into the meat. If you oil the meat before putting on the rub, the salt will have a harder time penetrating.
      I usually use cooking oil because it helps keep meat from sticking to the grates and because it also helps seal in water for a few minutes. Since salt is water soluble, I try to remember to dry brine. Far more important is what is in the rub than under the rub. So use whatever you want.

Comment

you really do not need to use something expensive, good old canola oil from the grocery store save the olive oil for salads,or finishing oils, peanut oil for the fried turkeys

Comment

Good information. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis