Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a new grill this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a new grill this weekend

I recently replaced my Chargriller Pro with a side firebox that doubled as a charcoal grill with a Lang Cooker/Smoker and donated the chargriller to the neighbors and now I have no direct heat for searing steaks or crisping chicken skin or anything. I am looking at a Weber Kettle 22.5" Gold or Silver not sure which one, my budget is under $200.00. Is the gold worth the extra $50.00? Would love to here from some of you weber kettle guys.

Thanks
    Rob

For me crvan its worth the 50 buck for the clean out. It's not difficult to clean a silver but the ash catcher on the gold is really sweet. It makes things much cleaner in general.

Comment

In Max's words, " The Weber One-Touch Gold 22.5" Charcoal Grill is the same basic 22.5" kettle body as the One-Touch Silver but instead of just slots on the bottom through which ash falls onto an open tray, the Gold has an enclosed receptacle attached to the bottom to capture and hold ash so it cannot blow. It comes off quickly for easy disposal of ash. Gold also comes with a useful hinged cooking grate that allows you to easily replenish coal without removing food. Gold models have a lid thermometer. These antique heat indicators are inaccurate."

I agree with Jon. The ash receptacle is worth it. It also has marks on it that tells you how open the vents are.

Comment

Thanks Jon, I like clean and I like easy

Comment

OK, I think with the ash receptacle and the hinged grate I'm sold on the gold. Should I bother with getting a charcoal fuel holder as an accessory?

Comment

Originally posted by crvan View Post
            OK, I think with the ash receptacle and the hinged grate I'm sold on the gold. Should I bother with getting a charcoal fuel holder as an accessory?

Only if you need to protect your charcoal from the weather and humidity. I use charcoal holders to hold my pellets as they are sensitive to humidity, but I leave charcoal in the bag.

Comment

Thanks David, I'll give that some thought... I do live in Florida

Comment

Its worth it, have the silver, wish I would have gotten gold.

Comment

The hinged grate along with the ash collector is a good deal in my mind. Add the charcoal baskets and that rig is great for doing chicken, pork loins or other things that can tolerate relatively high, indirect heat.

Comment

We all agree to go with the Gold. The extras are worth the extra$.

Comment

Go Buy the Gold now!!

Comment

Gold it is....

Comment

I have never regreted getting mr performer. That is a OTG mounted on a cart rather than tripod legs.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeier64 View Post
                            I have never regreted getting mr performer. That is a OTG mounted on a cart rather than tripod legs.

I like that new avatar.=)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis