Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Brisket Article, some right, a lot wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Brisket Article, some right, a lot wrong...

Here is the article. The first pic looks amazing, that bark looked so good I knew this was going to be a great article, then down a little further is the most disgusting looking glob of fat with some meat attached.
    I don't know what to say about some of these, they say they learned from Franklin...

The flat, or first cut, is too lean to barbecue on its own; braised, it makes a nice pot roast. The point, or second cut, must be attached for barbecue, along with the sheath of fat that covers the whole cut.
    Good thing you can use that flat for a nice pot roast! WHAT!

The meat thermometer is the worst thing that ever happened to a person making brisket at home
    I see the point they were trying to make, I think.

Don't forget the drink pairing, obviously champagne is the way to go here, Texans have a lot to learn.

Been better to mention "probe tender" as a final resting for the brisket, not a specific temp.

Comment

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I prefer think they meant one of those bi-metal dial thermometers. As for the "disgusting looking glob of fat with some meat attached," the guy who cooked specifically said that he'd hesitate to call what he makes "barbecue".

Comment

too funny......Aaron Franklin is cooking a waaay different brisket than I cook. He did cook what I cook one week. And he was glad for it to be over.

Comment

JB what does Aaron Franklin do different? How did he cook what you cook one week? Enlighten us...

Comment

Referring to the article, there are some folks who insist their way and their view is THE correct one...yet they don't provide details to back up their point. Are they making claims simply from tradition, a 'how I've always done it' kind of thing?

What I appreciate about Meathead's articles is how he shows WHY, and acknowledges there are other ways but shows the pros and cons. He has strong views but his views are backed with solid rationale. When someone just makes a blatant statement and leaves it at that, it's not educational, it's cocky.

Comment

I am guessing that we have all been in that spot where we didn't know exactly how to go about cooking something and referred to an article like this for some advice. Chances are because of the details (or lack thereof) provided in the article the food we prepared probably turned out less-than-spectacular. Luckily we have all found the Mecca of meat sites... Others will continue to struggle from extreme advice such as this that is never supported by reason or rhyme but rather just demanded by the authors.... Let them demand the acquiescence of their readers and supporters while we deliver BBQ bliss to our friends and families!

Comment

Well said Dand1178!

Comment

I have a feeling Franklin might take issue with that article. And since when was low and slow breaking from Texas tradition for cooking BBQ?

Not to defend the one guy, but even though he might have grown up in Houston, the Viets down there have their own style of BBQ and cooking and he probably does turn out a good product by those cultural standards. But they are NOT Texas standards by any stretch.

As for "lighter fare" on the sides, well, it's just like Scotch and cigars. A heavy, peaty Scotch needs a good full-bodied cigar or pipe tobacco to stand up to it. Brisket is by no means a light meat and demands sides that can hold their own with it. (And a good, heavy Scotch for that matter.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                    too funny......Aaron Franklin is cooking a waaay different brisket than I cook. He did cook what I cook one week. And he was glad for it to be over.

You're killing me, what does this mean?!?!

Comment

Aaron cooks some all natural stuff I think from Kansas. I forget the supplier. He couldn't get a shipment in one week, had to go the store. He wrapped early but still didn't like the results.

A critic came through and commented on the texture. I'll find the article.

I know he leaves that fat vein and it renders down nice. If I leave it on mine it is a nasty blob of crap.
                      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 27, 2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Here it is...

Prime Angus would also be the choice of Aaron Franklin, of Franklin Barbecue , in Austin, but it’s hard to get a consistent supply to fill his many smokers so he uses Upper Choice Angus beef. The meat is hormone- and- antibiotic-free and certified natural and humane, and Franklin claims that this contributes to better fat quality in the meat. Even buying this at Choice, this product can be more expensive, so bumping up to Prime would likely prove too costly anyway. But sometimes Franklin can’t even get the Choice stuff. Earlier this year his supplier had some weather-related delivery issues, and Franklin was forced to use Select briskets for several days. Because of their lower fat content he was worried about them drying out, so he wrapped the meat early and to try to keep them as moist as he could. Of course that was the week a critic came through and said the brisket was the consistency of “Sunday dinner-table chuck.” Franklin agrees. “I was happy to put that week behind me,” he told me with a sigh.

Comment

Thanks, makes total sense now! I don't remember him in any of his tutorial videos saying none of this would work on the meat 99% of you will buy!
                          It has also surprised me just how important fat is to everything.

Also makes me wonder just how well Chris Lilley would do with the Walmart stuff he's putting his name behind.
                          Last edited by _John_; August 27, 2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I think it is a matter of getting to know the meat you get and sticking to that. I trim ALL fat down cause it is pretty much crap fat.

Aaron is dead on when he says he is getting a higher quality fat.

Comment

John I agree, there's some right and a lot wrong in that article. The comment about the meat thermometer is definitely the worst of the offenses that article makes.

Comment

• boftx
                                boftx commented
                                Editing a comment
                                At first glance, but in context, it's a matter of not going far enough to explain that one has to cook to a higher temp. It tried to make that point, but just didn't do a good enough job at it.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis