Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib trimmings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib trimmings?

Hi all, thought I'd ask what you do with the rib trimmings? Usually when I smoke ribs (for myself) I don't trim, but I can see a point in doing so to get a uniform size/thickness for cooking. I have decided to try it on the next set of ribs I do.

So, what do you do with the trimmings? I guess I could put it on the grill, and cook it along with the ribs, but need inspiration here. Do you grind the trimmings and make sausages? Chop it up and add it to the baked beans?

Sternum goes to make pork stock. Rectus abdominis and anything else meaty gets made into bulgogi or char siu, which may later go into lo mein or fried rice.

Comment

I trim loose floppy parts from the sides and ends of STL. I trim thick parts of baby backs loin meat to make them uniform. With the meat parts of the trimmings what I usually do is toss them in a skillet with some salt & pepper, little oil, and some terriyaki or soy sauce & brown sugar to make a little stir fry while I'm smoking. If I'm doing a lot of ribs and therefore have a lot of trimming they go into a bag for the wife to use for dinner the next night in some sort of stir fry.

Comment

Huskee, I really like the idea of throwing them in a skillet with teriaki & brown sugar, and perhaps some ancho chili pasta. Just up my flavor alley, and I get something to munch on while waiting for the ribs to finish.

Comment

Exactly! The pitmaster needs his lunch!

Comment

I recently cooked about 24 rack of spare for a little church fundraiser I did. I ended up with a boatload of trimmings that I seasoned & cooked up on the smoker a few days later. That was excellent as I have a large family & the flavor was…mmmmm. I’ve been kicking around an idea for next time, but not too sure how it would fair. Maybe someone here has tried it. I was thinking of grinding 60/40 with beef for a bacon style burger (the 60 being beef). It sounds so good to me that I believe I would eat my way into a coma!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ4FUNN View Post
            I’ve been kicking around an idea for next time, but not too sure how it would fair. Maybe someone here has tried it. I was thinking of grinding 60/40 with beef for a bacon style burger (the 60 being beef). It sounds so good to me that I believe I would eat my way into a coma!!!
            That sounds good! I bet it would be fantastic. Keep us posted if you do it.

Comment

I make ground beef out of 60/40 beef to lean loin bacon. I don't tell people what is in the meat and get the biggest rave reviews from this combo. I use to use a lean belly bacon but found the fat content so high that it was to greasy for my liking so I went to a pork loin bacon and have not looked back. For the beef I use what ever I have (usually rib, rib steak, or chuck)

Comment

I like to make Posole. The recipe I use calls for pork butt, one day I had a bunch of rib tips from a practice cook and I used them instead. what a find the Posole was excellent and the pork stock was strained and used for next butt injection win, win the stock is full of collagen from the cartilage when cooled it was Jell-O

Comment

They go in beans, greens, fried rice.

Comment

Lot's of suggestions! I trimmed some ribs today for tomorrow's cook, and figured this was an excellent opportunity. I mixed the trimmings with some (store-)smoked bacon that I had in the freezer. Brought out Ol' Faithful (my meat grinder, not the geysir...), mixed it all up, and fried me some proper burgers. All served with Meathead's burger glop. Awesome!

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pork only burgers? Nice! Well done. Big pics next time!

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, the flavor was really great. Very good indeed. I guess you could call them bacon burgers, of sorts. This was a first, but definitely not the last!

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I need to get a grinder for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I never remember it until posts like this... Thanks Henrik for making this week's paycheck that much smaller, lol.

They taste real good in homemade split pea soup.

Comment

I figure it is rib meat and that is what I am cooking so I put Memphis dust on them and a few hrs before the real ribs are done I toss them onto the grill grates (upside down) and cook them low and slow. then I eventually get hungry and eat a couple. And then I sauce the rest and hit them with my little propane torch. I like ribs better than any of those ideas you guys have.... but that is just me...

Comment

I can't believe you guys trim your ribs other than removing the membrane on the back side. It really hurts my feelings!!

Comment

But, what you are preparing with the trimmings sounds awesome!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis